• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to make custom Odin images

adrynalyne

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2010
Hey folks,

XDA is down, so I can't tell how much has been done, development wise, but its looking bleak. I'd like to help out, even though I do not have the device.

First, we need to get some Odin images going. This is BEST done with somebody who has a stock, but rooted, Samsung Continuum.

This has been adapted from here:
Creating Custom ROMs/Backups for Odin - Android Forums

First, you need to root, via either one of the one click methods, or z4root.

Then, you must setup adb, if you haven't already. Alternatively, you could be a masochist and use the terminal on the device, downloaded from the market.

As root (#)

To backup kernel parition:

Code:
 dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/kernel bs=4096

To backup recovery partition (probably the same as the kernel):

Code:
 dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/recovery bs=4096

To backup system:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/system bs=4096

Backup the kernel, system, and recovery images from your sdcard to your computer. Make backups!

Rename kernel to: zImage
Rename recovery to recovery.bin
Rename system to factoryfs.rfs

The next part requires linux, OS X, or cygwin.
Cygwin

If you are using heimdall, the above images are ready for flashing.
If using Odin, we must still package them.

Code:
$ tar -H ustar -c image_1 [image_2 ...] > your_odin_package.tar

If you want an all in one package, put each image name in. if not, make one image per tar file.

Example: tar -H ustar -c zImage > zImage.tar

This would give us a zImage.tar file. Now we will turn it into a tar.md5 file, so that Odin can make sure its not corrupt before flashing.

Code:
$ md5sum -t your_odin_package.tar >> your_odin_package.tar
$ mv your_odin_package.tar your_odin_package.tar.md5

using the above example, your final file would be zImage.tar.md5.

This gets used with Odin3 v.1.30, in the PDA section. You need to install Samsung usb drivers prior to, of course, and the phone must be in download mode.

ALWAYS USE THE PDA SECTION IN ODIN.

Odin can be found here:
http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/Odin3v1.3.exe

Download mode (on the Fascinate anyway), can be achieved by powering off device, holding DOWN volume, and plugging in the usb cable, or hitting power.

I plan on posting some other stuff here, so PLEASE, someone make these images for everyone! Its essential to have a fall back. I do not own the device, so I cannot.

Thank you for this quick guide.. Should help with getting a fully working Recovery Odin file up and working... I had one, but it ruined Modem.... Is there a special procedure in getting that that someone could run and send to me? Bubby323 managed to get me a semi-working modem, but it can't receive or send texts... :| Well, it can send them, but the recipient just gets a blank message...

Upvote 0
You are definitely right.. i just noticed that like 20 minutes ago.. my baseband version is all the way down to S:i400.0.6v.DI01, when it used to be S:i400.0.6v.DJ20

edit: one of the guys over here on the IRC (which you are welcome on :D) has the modem i would probably need.. How would he go around extracting it though?

and thanks again for helping! :D

Upvote 0
Yes that is a Samsung Fascinate modem.

No bueno...

I'll see if I can contact some people today and see whats possible....

dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/system bs=4096

Also, now that clockwork is working, I'd like to make a super clean rom, jt1134 style. Could you provide me a system dump, and upload it, with these instructions? I'd like to build it off of DL17.

Now, I could always have you try ANOTHER, more recent modem, if you think it may help.

As for extracting the modem, we are unable to on the Fascinate, so I assume the same for the Continuum. Samsung locked us out or something :/

Upvote 0
Oh, alright.. Thank you for figuring that much out :)

i would if i could man.. But i am not on DL17... Because of the differing modem, it won't let me update... I'll go on the IRC, dfgged might be able to do the dump... Ill ask him now..

edit: sweet! thank you, i will try now.. :D

edit(2): is he going to have to do a system wipe before he runs the dd if=/dev/block/stl9 of=/sdcard/system bs=4096 command?

Upvote 0
I can download and start the update, but when it goes into recovery... It freezes at 90%, which is when it is flashing the update for the modem... (which i know from manually installing the update)
and btw: i have extracted the update.zip from fota.. so i have that.. i can see the modem file in there too....... i just don't know what i can do with it.. :p

oh, and big problem.. Dfgged tried the command.. it wouldn't work, because once the update is applied, you lose root.........

edit(2): i flashed the modem :D and it worked! i can now recieve and send texts, thank you so much! i will attempt the update now..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones