• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to] manually achieve s-off,simunlock,supercid for Inspire 4g/DHD

Hi., today my phone booted successfully.., but with error msgs and force stops. Amazing think is its 4-5 hrs without stuck. I just ticked USB Debugging and the charge only mode.

And what I observed is with the orange sim card I can make calls ..but the same error msgs..I cannot open any apps...msg pops out for force close. cannot open any google sevices.

My question is .., is there anything I can do with the booted device to unlock bootloader or something like that.

And I found these links where discussed ..without unlocking can install roms on LG phone... Can you just have a look at and advice me what I can do to flash roms without unlocking bootloader.

Flash Custom ROM without Bootloader unlock? - xda-developers

[DEV] [OLD] Porting and booting custom rom via 2nd-init - xda-developers

Thank you.

most root and temp root exploits will require the phone to reboot,so its not likely we can do much if your phone wont boot consistently. there are so many variants of dhd software,its hard to know what versions are rootable via an exploit,and wich ones will require htcdev unlock to remove write protections.

both your links are for lg phones,wich work a little differently. htc devices will have a recovery installed in the recovery partition,they have never been "bootstrapped" like other locked bootloader devices. ive no idea if something like this would be possible with an htc or not(tho my instincts say if it were possible it prolly would have been done)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thank you..Here is a new story. I managed to get the right RUU.exe for my phone. And I tried to flash it, but in vain. Once the bootloader is rebooted.. my device is on splash screen for ever., even I manually put my phone in bootloader mode it doesn't work. Program says waiting for the bootloader.

Then further studying I managed to extract the Rom Zip file and tried to flash through SD card in HBOOT mode. Without error it flashes. Upon rebooting the same old story. Stays on splash screen. Tried to clear cache, factory reset., nothing help. While formatting factory reset same old mounting errors.

I tried to flash 4-5 times.

So I hope I have to format partitions.

Here there is a thread but I don't understand it. Please have a look.

SOLVED: messed up partitions on internal storage - HTC Incredible Stable/RC/M-Release - CyanogenMod Forum

Upvote 0
So i'm not too sure what i'm doing because this is the first time i've rooted/s-off a phone so I don't know where to go from here.

I successfully rooted my phone and got all the way to the end of the s-off instructions but ran into a problem after "fastboot flash boot boot.img" I keep getting a "FAILED <remote: signature verify fail" after I try to load the boot image. I've read on other forums that i'm possibly using the wrong RUU? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
Thank you..Here is a new story. I managed to get the right RUU.exe for my phone. And I tried to flash it, but in vain. Once the bootloader is rebooted.. my device is on splash screen for ever., even I manually put my phone in bootloader mode it doesn't work. Program says waiting for the bootloader.

Then further studying I managed to extract the Rom Zip file and tried to flash through SD card in HBOOT mode. Without error it flashes. Upon rebooting the same old story. Stays on splash screen. Tried to clear cache, factory reset., nothing help. While formatting factory reset same old mounting errors.

I tried to flash 4-5 times.

So I hope I have to format partitions.

Here there is a thread but I don't understand it. Please have a look.

SOLVED: messed up partitions on internal storage - HTC Incredible Stable/RC/M-Release - CyanogenMod Forum
that thread is for the original droid incredible,wich uses mtd partitions,not emmc,so unfortunately it wont do us much good :(
Wait, is my phone supposed to be "unlocked" before i enter "fastboot flash boot boot.img" or is it supposed to still be "relocked"?

sorry for the late reply,im sure youve figured it out by now,but yes,you need to be unlocked

holler if you have other questions :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
yep, ive tried a different sim but it didnt work. didnt come up with a sim registration failed or anything....just didnt work. i selected the right APN and network, but wouldnt let me phone, text or connect to the internet.

is there anything i can try to find out for sure? or any other settings i may have forgotten? i rooted it a few years ago with AAHK.

Upvote 0
just for information, when i boot into bootloader, it says
ACE PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT 0.85.0024
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-BOOT
Apr 12 2011.00:55:45

interestingly underneat all the bumph in the options, theres fastboot, recovery, factory reset and SIMLOCK.

will this mean that its either locked or unlocked and could i change it from here to unlock?

thanks

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I don't think this would matter, Davo, using the SIMLOCK option does nothing - tried it when I originally rooted.

Are you able to power the phone on? There's an app on Play called CID Getter - this will help us identify the CID (Carrier ID) of your phone - it's this that makes a difference to which network's SIM cards you can use in your phone. If you can install the app and let us have the values, that would help :)

Upvote 0
I don't think this would matter, Davo, using the SIMLOCK option does nothing - tried it when I originally rooted.

Are you able to power the phone on? There's an app on Play called CID Getter - this will help us identify the CID (Carrier ID) of your phone - it's this that makes a difference to which network's SIM cards you can use in your phone. If you can install the app and let us have the values, that would help :)

just installed it thanks and it just gives me hundreds of lines of info that i dont understand. i scrolled down to look for something pertinent, and ive seen a line that says
[ro.boot.carrier]:[VODA-UK]

im in the uk, does this mean vodafones the carrier? cos interestingly im using giffgaff which works on )2 network. so could be unlocked?

any other lines to look out for that will mean something to you?

thanks a lot :)

EDIT: if you need to see all the values how would i do that?

Upvote 0
is there a link to sim unlocking my phone? the title of thread seemed to imply it but im not savvy enough to understand what bit that might be.
ive got a desire HD that i rooted a few years ago, but now i want to use a different network sim in it.
whats the best way to go about this?

thanks

if you installed another sim card,and it didnt prompt you for an unlock code,then you are not simlocked. your lack of signal or data is from some other issue.

if you did get a sim code request,you can get it from the carrier if you have an account in good standing(usually) or you can try and purchase an unlock code from ebay. if you used this guide or the AAHK initially,you should be simunlocked,supercid(11111111) and s off.

if you can place your phone in fastboot,and give us the results of: fastboot getvar all that will give us some more concrete info than the cid getter app(ive found it to not always be accurate)

if you need to simunlock and/or supercid becasue youve s offed with a different method,its not prollem,since youre s off we can do that :)

Upvote 0
can you give me some help on how to do this please? i dont get how to do it.

ive done vol down/power on and got into fastboot. options are bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, power down. no option of typing anything.

if i hit bootloader it just goes back into the other options, fastboot, recovery, factory reset, simlock, image crc

how do i find the results of fastboot getvar all??

thanks

EDIT: a bit of googling suggests id probably need phone connecting to laptop and use that, so some sort of software installed on laptop? btw, im running linux mint on laptop if thats relevant.

Upvote 0
sorry for the lack of instruction,you can get the results of getvar all from this:

first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thanks, but its pretty obvious i dont really know what im doing with programming or code or whatever.

i followed the link, extracted the mini sdk folder to my home folder, then tried different commands in terminal.

sudo ./fastboot fastboot devices

it asked for password, but then said sudo ./fastboot command not found or something.

im not very good at this :-D

Upvote 0
thanks, but its pretty obvious i dont really know what im doing with programming or code or whatever.

i followed the link, extracted the mini sdk folder to my home folder, then tried different commands in terminal.

sudo ./fastboot fastboot devices

it asked for password, but then said sudo ./fastboot command not found or something.

im not very good at this :-D

where you in your minisdk folder?

had you run the installed that comes in the minisdk?

was the phone plugged in and in fastboot(not hboot)?

im just getting in to linux,so i wont be of as much help. hopefully mister scary could be of some assistance in getting it up and running :)

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I have rooted my htc desire hd a long time ago and after flashing rom it stucked at htc logo i re root it and it worked for me.

Now again after a month ago i tried to flash a rom and again I am stuck on htc logo. I have s-on and relocked now. Kindly help me as I cant afford another phone. Please dont be rude and help me I will be very grateful to u.

I have tried aahk tool but it ends with echo is off echo is off, I think it stucks at upgrading to froyo.

I have clockwor mod revo

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I have rooted my htc desire hd a long time ago and after flashing rom it stucked at htc logo i re root it and it worked for me.

Now again after a month ago i tried to flash a rom and again I am stuck on htc logo. I have s-off and relocked now. Kindly help me as I cant afford another phone. Please dont be rude and help me I will be very grateful to u.

I have tried aahk tool but it ends with echo is off echo is off, I think it stucks at upgrading to froyo.

I have clockwor mod revo

the aahk wont do anything for you once your s off. if youve used the aahk,or this guide in the past,you should be supercid as well,so all youve got to do is run an ruu. id prolly recomend this one:
Shipped ROMs
wich is a utility run on the PC with the phone in fastboot

failing that,you can use this version:
Shipped ROMs
wich is a zip file that you can rename to PD98IMG and install from a FAT32 sd card in hboot.

failing those 2,some additional info may be required,if you could do this and post the results:
first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

Upvote 0
Sory, actually i have a s on and I cant find stock roms here is the info:
My cid: htc_001

ahh that changes things quite a bit. you are likely hung at the splash screen simply because you need to flash the boot image. the recovery is unable to flash the boot image on an s on device.

if you have a backup,you could prolly restore that and get back to a working phone,since it should match the phones current boot. if you dont have a backup,learn from this incident to ALWAYS make a backup of a good working rom before flashing a new one ;)

to flash the new rom,youll need to open up the rom download on your pc and locate the boot.img and transfer it to your folder containing fastboot(the one you used to unlock the bootloader)

put the rom on your sd card,boot to recovery and:
-wide data
-wipe cache
-wipe data factory reset
-flash rom

place the phone in fastboot and open a cmd window. install the boot image with:

fastboot flash boot imagename.img

ie image named simply "boot"

fastboot flash boot boot.img

your rom should then boot.

failing that,we prolly can find you an ruu since you have a common CID,but youll need to provide the getvar all info as directed above(click the show button)

Upvote 0
Hi, sir i yg follow your instruction. But in the end of line i still have S-ON.
I try to command
adb push gfree /tmp/

adb shell chmod 775 /tmp/gfree

adb shell /tmp/gfree -f

adb reboot bootloader

Again. And it still same.
That was a year ago. And now i can't connect my phone to computer it mean, I can't do fastboot method again. It because my phone only in charge mode when I connect it to pc. Maybe my usb port in phone had a trouble.
And the question is, how can I do S-off without connect my phone to computer. My position is in unlocked and stuck in ics Rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones