• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Manually install Gingerbread OTA(s) if rooted.

Did you mess with the build.prop at all? I'm really grasping straws here lol. Something is different between our phones that is preventing this and I haven't the slightest. That error means either the zip is corrupt or the file it is referencing is missing.

Upvote 0
:/ That's just plain weird...

If you're willing to spend some round-about time on this...

PB31IMG.zip is Froyo stock.

Do a nandroid of your current, flash that in hboot, then follow the steps in this thread. When I did this they worked flawlessly for me.

Odd part is, when I updated from 4.06.605.3 to 4.08.605.2 I did it on my phone after it had been up and running for a few months with heavy use daily.

Upvote 0
Ok on stock recovery now and getting this error...

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Checking data partition free space...
Copying fotaBoot to /data/system for customize reload...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/EPST.apk", "b7a4a2d3418fee2d30e201c24523e068eea1bb36", "3a9ffea263f7703f763fd56ea7ac02754823bb66")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Ever get a solution to this? I am getting very similar errors.

Upvote 0

Thanks to y8s for posting the above link. I'd been following that post since the day I first got the OTA notification this month. Some background: I rooted my AMOLED Incredible back late last year when it was still running Android 2.1. I then used Bob Denny's awesome instructions from back in November 2010 to stay rooted while applying the Froyo OTA update from Verizon/HTC. After that, I really didn't do much to the phone except remove some bloatware (after backing it up). I tried a Virtuous ROM once but it didn't run too well for me so I reverted back to stock Sense (using ClockwordMod recovery).

Anyway, for this OTA, I got the notification but didn't apply it. After prompting me a few times, the notification went away and never came back. My roommate has the same phone stock (apart from being the SLCD version) and not rooted. He applied the update, which got him to Gingerbread 4.06 with the Sprint store and other issues that have been reported. The next day he got the update to 4.08. I never got any other OTA notifications after the first one. I kept following wildstang's thread over at the XDA forums until he had built and tested a rooted ROM that was stock. He later posted an updated stock kernel as well. Last night I went through all the steps (it helps to read the whole thread) recommended and as of this morning I'm not having any issues and am now running the latest GB provided by Verizon.

To recap:

• I was on stock 2.2 Froyo, rooted with s-off, on the latest ClockwordMod recovery (ver 5.0.2.0).

• I got the OTA update notification a few times on only one day and did not install them.

• Before following wildstang's directions, I backed up everything using Titanium Backup, made a nandroid backup in CWM recovery, plus separate SMS backups. I also moved all apps off the SD card onto the phone's storage and put all bloatware back where it used to be.

• Wiping everything on my phone was a bit daunting but I did it (twice) and I got everything back using Titanium and SMS Backup and Restore, including market links, call history, etcetera. It didn't take as long as I'd feared.

• I also flashed the updated kernel that wildstang provides in the same post. It does seem to make the phone a bit more snappy although that might well have to do with having completely wiped everything before installing the ROM.

Since I lurk on here quite often, I thought I'd contribute this info to try and help out anyone having issues with the method that's posted. This is probably a bit more of a scorched earth method but I haven't heard of too many issues with it over on the XDA thread and I'm running fine so far despite the hassle of getting apps back up and running and getting all the histories back. I'm now running GB 2.3.4, kernel 2.6.35.13, software number 4.08.605.2. My screen size is listed correctly and there's no sign of Sprint on my Android market. I haven't gotten any low space warnings (yet...).

Hope this helps, good luck to all.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347044

Upvote 0
As far as my issue goes, I just ended up flashing to a rooted stock ROM I found at XDA.

[ROM] Incredible Stock OTA [RLS2] [4.06.605.2] [Android 2.3.4] [8/17/11] [Fast!!] - xda-developers

I have no idea how to figure out the error I kept recieving and really didn't have all the information to make me competent at troubleshooting this. Flashing to the above ROM after running unrevoked again and clearing my caches seems to have gotten me to a happy place.

Thanks for the walkthrough and the assistance.

Reactions: samufa
Upvote 0
Assuming I can skip Steps 1-3 if I just freshly (Unrevoked 3) rooted my stock (1 day old) 2.2 Incredible?

Will a FAT32 2Gb card be sufficient?

Incorrect. You have to apply the first 3 steps no matter which version of Android you are running. You may only skip step 4 if you are running 4.06.605.3.

Yes 2gb should be plenty. That is what I used.

Still no solution for that error...but I was sleeping. You said a similar error, do you recall what it was? Maybe it will shed some light on the situation via it's difference.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OK, I am a little confused by some of the later posts.

1)Bob Denny, With your link is it now a one step install from Froyo?
2)What is the point of WorldWithin's post. What is the difference between the Official OTA version and the versions posted by Bob Denn (starting with 5059...) and this original post?

Finally, I notice the instructions on WorldWithin's post say to erase everything before install. Is that a clean wipe install and this does not wipe your original data or do both techniques wipe?

Upvote 0
Hello to all,

Thanks mmolitor87 for the how to. Did nothing special to phones before starting except rooting wife's phone.Followed your instructions except adding the .zip to the files as I put them on the SD card. Could not get past step 2 until I found the file was being labeled PB31img.zip.zip, so everything worked as advertised after dropping the extension. Once I installed 4.06.605.3 Verizon pushed 4.08.605.2 to the phone in a flash. Let it do the update, no problems then went back and unchecked fastboot and looked at SD card and 4.08.605.2 removed 4.06.605.3 from the SD card. After doing step 10, step 13 completed in CWM. No big deal. Performed it on my rooted Dinc. worked as advertised. Rooted my wife's Dinc and ran your solution again, as advertised in about 1 hour, root to finish. Thanks to all who have contributited to solving the Verizon (we know better than you) update curse.

Upvote 0
FYI Since I didn't do the 2-part update (4.06 -> 4.08) and reverted back to 2.2... Verizon pushed an update again. This one is a merged update that goes from 2.2 to 2.3.4 (4.08) in one step instead of the 4.06 then the 4.08 update.

5059e5b6c5b2.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_4.08.605.2-3.26.605.1_release_222220.zip

Thanks for the information! Main post updated to reflect this. :)

Would i just use this (renamed to update.zip) for steps 4-7 then instead of doing those?

Correct. Only one file for you now! Check the main post.

OK, I am a little confused by some of the later posts.

1)Bob Denny, With your link is it now a one step install from Froyo?
2)What is the point of WorldWithin's post. What is the difference between the Official OTA version and the versions posted by Bob Denn (starting with 5059...) and this original post?

Finally, I notice the instructions on WorldWithin's post say to erase everything before install. Is that a clean wipe install and this does not wipe your original data or do both techniques wipe?

1. Yes, that is correct. I have updated the main post to reflect this.

2. The links posted pull the OTA from the google android servers directly. They are the exact same as what you would get from waiting for the OTA to hit your phone. These are the links your phone downloads from in such a case.

And I'm not sure of your question regarding Worldwithin. He was having trouble updating because of an error on his phone. The likely solution for him was to wipe all his data through a factory reset which will indeed wipe all apps/settings.

Thanks to all who have contributited to solving the Verizon (we know better than you) update curse.

You're quite welcome! Glad you had a smooth experience. :)

Upvote 0
So far so good. I just rooted on Wednesday, still freaking out a bit when I do this stuff. Step 3 done, went real quick.

Step 3 done, still on 2.2? Thoughts?

Shut down, Went into recovery, got the red !, up arrow and installed from sd card. Phone rebooting now.

Sorry about that, forgot about the habit the 4.08.605.2 habit had of not wanting to flash without bypassing the red triangle screen. It seems it carried over to the new update as well, so I updated the steps to allow for this happening.

Upvote 0
I tried steps one and two twice, the loading of the update stops about 1/4 way through and phone boots up, still have 2.2. Am I missing something? Does "debugging" being checked make a difference?

Also, I have the update waiting on my phone, Could I just install that and then flash clockwork and superuser?

Upvote 0
I tried steps one and two twice, the loading of the update stops about 1/4 way through and phone boots up, still have 2.2. Am I missing something?

It stops loading it when, in hboot or recovery? If it stops loading it in hboot, go into recovery and select to update from SD card.

Also, I have the update waiting on my phone, Could I just install that and then flash clockwork and superuser?

You can always try. It's my thinking that the recovery has a big part to play in not allowing the updates, however I may be wrong and there may be another factor that will prevent it. No harm in trying!

As long as you have a good nandroid backup there isn't much you can't recover from. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones