• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Manually install Gingerbread OTA(s) if rooted.

So total Newb here, but I am not sure why I would do the downgrade???
I have my phone upgraded to 4.08.605.2. I still do not have super user. I am not sure what I am missing from the steps provided in this post. Any help would be great. The downgrade looks like more work that I have already done. And I am not trying to be lazy, but I dont want this to become a cluster-cuss for me.

Thanks, Gabe

Upvote 0
So total Newb here, but I am not sure why I would do the downgrade???
I have my phone upgraded to 4.08.605.2. I still do not have super user. I am not sure what I am missing from the steps provided in this post. Any help would be great. The downgrade looks like more work that I have already done. And I am not trying to be lazy, but I dont want this to become a cluster-cuss for me.

Thanks, Gabe
The downgrade is only necessary to achieve s-off, if you already have s-off then there is no reason to downgrade. Basically achieving FULL root is a two tiered process.

Step one is obtainining root access

Step two is unlocking the bootloader

BUT you can't unlock the bootloader when running the "radio" that the software you are currently running comes with. So you have to downgrade to install the older radio, so that you can unlock the bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader is not needed if you are just looking to run a couple root only apps or even to install a rom. However unlocking the bootloader gives you a lot more options when trying to recover a soft bricked phone and allows you access to the /system partition while the phone is fully booted(useful for removing bloatware).

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-how-root-2-3-4-downgrade-get-s-off.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones