• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Manually Update Nexus One to Android 2.2 FRF91 (7/1/2010)

My nexus is rooted, running stock rom.

The last time I updated to FRF72, I lost root. (though I think I installed not the update, but a complete FRF72 build, maybe that's why.)

I restored my FRF50, and am now thinking of flashing FRF 83.

Question - will that make me lose root? If so, how do I maintain root? Is there a 'pre-rooted' upgrade?

Upvote 0
I was on 72 and just manually updated to 83. Here's what I did.
1. Download and rename "update" and copy to SD card. Here's a link to the file to download:
http://android.clients.google.com/packages/passion/signed-passion-FRF83-from-FRF72.684bd56a.zip
2. Turn off phone. Then hold down trackball and power button.
3. Select "Bootloaded" and then "Recovery."
4. When see log press power and volume up buttons and choose "update.zip."

That's it! No need to revert back to FRF50 or 2.1. Worked fine for me. Have not noticed any differences between 72 and 83.
Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Hmmm, nah I say the easiest way is to flash this. ;)

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/passion/signed-passion-FRF83-from-FRF72.684bd56a.zip

The official incremential FRF72 -> FRF83

Thanks for this link. I've updated the first post with this link as well, for those on FRF72 :D

So this is not FRF83, it has updated to FRF72.

A little misleading, the file name and the thread.

I've updated the files for every upgrade path. That is 2.1 to FRF50, FRF50 to 72, FRF72 to 83, or FRF50 to 83.

So, regardless of which version you're on now, you can get to FRF83.

Upvote 0
>"assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop"
>."ro.build.fingerprint") == "google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF72/40830:user/release-keys"
>E: error in /sdcard/update.zip
>(status 7)
>installation aborted"

I ran into this same problem. I think my SD card was corrupted so every time I copied my update.zip to the card it would keep the older FRF50->FRF72 patchset. What you should do is make sure you do a disk scan on the SD card and make sure you copy the update.zip and it should work. Another thing is to verify you are using the 83 from 72 update and not the 83 from 50 update. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones