• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to] manually update to ICS without losing data

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
first and foremost,id like to apologize to anyone whom ive told it does not matter if you have apps deleted. during this little experiment,i have found that to not be the case. the updates will fail,if they try and apply a patch file to an app or file that is not present.

it does not appear to matter if things have been frozen. freezing bloatware makes it invisible to the app drawer and not useable,but does not delete it from system files.

first time i tried it,i went thru and deleted a bunch of files. update failed. crap! second time,i froze a few and things seemd to go fine. i only froze a few in the interest of time,so if anyone has any different expereinces,please let us know :)

so,if youve actually deleted system files or apps,the process will be a little longer if you want to update and preserve your curent setup.

WARNING!i am not responsible if this melts your phone into a smoldering pile of goo. you took on the responsability of owning a rooted devices the instant you rooted it.

I HAVE TESTED THIS on my s-off phone. i updated using this method several times in attempt to make sure it worked predictably. however,lots of folks seem to be having prollems with it,and i have no idea why. procede at your own risk! it may work fine,,or it may result in issues that we do not understand or have answers for,resulting in the need to run the full 3.14.605.12 ruu,wich will wipe your data.

prerequesites:
-that you have rooted with my guide,or are at least familiar with the "miniadb" folder i use in my guides. if not,read thru the root guide and get it set up. http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html
-that you are somewhat familiar with amon recovery menu navigation(exact menu options and selection are not given)

before you start:
*check your hboot version. you must be on on the most current firmware and software to manually apply the updates,or recieve the OTA.

if you are on hboot version 2.10,you are on older firmware and must update fully to 2.01.605.11(containing hboot 2.11). substitute step 2) for the step 2) in post #2

1)download files
everyone: VIGOR-manual-ICS-update.zip
md5: VIGOR-manual-ICS-update.zip b2e94b379f1df696a35dde0581f5eb06 (double check,please ;))
extract it to somewhere convenient. stock recovery and amon are included in this download. move them to mini-adb_vigor if needed. the OTAPkg files are the important ones.

those that need to reclaim system apps,also download these:
- "mini-RUU" wich contains only the boot,system and recovery images for the current factory software 2.01.605.11 mirror
- main version tool
-superuser files: superuser 3.07 (found on revolutionary public wiki)

those that have not deleted any system apps,skip step 2. continue on with step 3 :)

2)reinstall system apps and folders,and your personal data
-place the mini ruu into your "mini-adb_vigor folder". keep it named "miniRUU2.01.605.11"

-place "SetMainVersionLOW.zip" on the root of your phones SD card

-place superuser 3.07 onto the root of your phones sd card

-open a cmd window: in windows 7,click start bubble. type cmd or command in the search box. other versions same or similar

-change to mini-adb directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_vigor

-verify the mini ruu:
md5sums miniRUU2.01.605.11.zip (it should output 00d8fe40e9fdb943d5c77855a9324dbf)

3)change main version,flash mini-ruu

-check connectivity
adb devices

-boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-launch recovery
fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img

*make a backup of your data partition using amons menu options on the phone screen. simply remove the X's from everything but data on the backup screen,then "perform backup". you do not need to backup boot or system. you may also want to perform a full backup in case something goes wrong,but this is optional.

-using the phones amon ra menu options,flash "SetMainVersionLOW.zip" just like you would any other rom. no need to wipe anything,just flash it.

-boot back into bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-check main version
fastboot getvar all

-if your main version is now 1.00.000.0 then procede:

-erase cache
fastboot erase cache

-enter "RUU mode" :
fastboot oem rebootRUU

run mini ruu:
fastboot flash zip miniRUU2.01.605.11.zip

-reboot to fastboot
fastboot reboot-bootloader

-reboot the phone
fastboot reboot

your phone wil reboot to a freshly factory reset state. chose language,sign into google,etc. give the phone a few minutes to sync and settle. turn off "fastboot" in settings/power,enable usb debugging in settings/apps/development

now restore your data by:

reopen your cmd window,and change back to mini-adb_vigor directory if needed. then:

-check connectivity
adb devices

-boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-launch recovery

-using the amon recovery menus,wipe cache,wipe dalvik cache. flash superuser. if superuser aborts, reboot,and try again.

-once superuser flashes successfully, you can restore your data. select your data only backup from the restore menu. remove the X's from everything but data.

-once the restore is complete,reboot. give the phone a few minutes to settle. skip ahead to step 4,since you have the stock recovery

3)install the stock recovery if needed
*if you have only temp installed amon,you should still have the stock recovery in place. skip ahead to step 4

otherwise,reopen your cmd window,and change back to mini-adb_vigor directory if needed. then:

-check connectivity
adb devices

-boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-flash stock recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed_stock_2.01.605.11.img

-reboot
fastboot reboot

give the phone a few minutes,then carry on

4)update manually to ICS!

*charge your phone to 100%!

-place OTAPkg_stage1 onto the root of your sd card. rename it to "update"

-boot to the factory recovery via adb reboot recovery (optionally,you can select recovery from the hboot menu if you dont wish to use cmd)

-youll see a yellow error message about cache. dont worry,this is normal :)

-hold vol UP and power until you see blue writing that is the stock recoverys menu

-using the vol rocker and power button,wipe cache

-select apply update from sd card

-choose "update.zip"

*sit your phone down and let it do its thing. youll see yellow writing as the update applies patch files,then a couple different screens as it makes firmware changes. as long as your stock rom isnt heavily modded,the update will get you ready for ICS,and update your main version to 2.01.605.12.

*if you see an "install aborted" error message,make note of what it is,and reboot using the stock menu option

-when the updates are finished,the phone will reboot. it wont look any different,and youll have lost your root access. thats ok for now. give the phone a few minutes to settle.

-remove "update" from the sd card.

-place "OTAPkg_stage2" onto the root of the sd card. again,rename to "update"

-boot to the factory recovery via adb reboot recovery (optionally,you can select recovery from the hboot menu if you dont wish to use cmd)

-youll see a yellow error message about cache. dont worry,this is normal :)

-hold vol UP and power until you see blue writing that is the stock recoverys menu

-choose "update.zip"

*sit your phone down and let it do its thing. youll see yellow writing as the update applies patch files,then a couple different screens as it makes firmware changes. if the first update worked,then this one should as well.

*if you do see an "install aborted" error message,make note of what it is,and reboot using the stock menu option

-when the updates are finished,the phone will reboot. give it a few minutes to settle.

congratulations! you are now on ICS 3.14.605.12 :smokingsomb: only thing lost during this should be your root access.

-remove "update" from the sd card.

now boot to fastboot,launch amon,wipe caches,and flash superuser,just as you did initially. only this time use superSU for ICS: [16.07.2012] SuperSU v0.94 - xda-developers

*NOTE i used superSU v94 on GB,and it worked fine. consider this an alternative if you have repeated errors with 3.07

IMAG0009-2.jpg

2)reinstall system apps and folders,and your personal data

-download the .exe file for 2.01.605.11
Shipped ROMs

-open a cmd window,as described in post 1
-change to mini-adb directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_vigor

-check connectivity
adb devices

-boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-launch recovery
fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

*make a backup of your data partition using amons menu options on the phone screen. simply remove the X's from everything but data on the backup screen,then "perform backup". you do not need to backup boot or system. you may also want to perform a full backup in case something goes wrong,but this is optional.

-using the phones amon ra menu options,flash "SetMainVersionLOW.zip" just like you would any other rom. no need to wipe anything,just flash it.

-boot back into bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-check main version
fastboot getvar all

-if your main version is now 1.00.000.0 then procede:

-relock bootloader
fastboot oem lock

*you may get a security warning after it locks. dont panic,this is normal when relocking with custom software

-run the .exe file on your PC with our phone still in fastboot. follow the onscreen directions. it will reboot when finished

-your phone wil reboot to a freshly factory reset state. chose language,sign into google,etc. give the phone a few minutes to sync and settle. turn off "fastboot" in settings/power,enable usb debugging in settings/apps/development

now restore your data by:

reopen your cmd window,and change back to mini-adb_vigor directory if needed. then:

-check connectivity
adb devices

-boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

-launch recovery

-using the amon recovery menus,wipe cache,wipe dalvik cache. flash superuser. if superuser aborts, reboot,and try again.

-once superuser flashes successfully, you can restore your data. select your data only backup from the restore menu. remove the X's from everything but data.

-once the restore is complete,reboot. give the phone a few minutes to settle. skip ahead to step 4,since you have the stock recovery

Upvote 0
Hey Scotty, Im stuck trying to run the mini RUU, I ran the fastboot oem rebootRUU command and got a black screen with HTC in white. When I run the" fastboot flash zip RUU-2.01.605.11-mini.zip" command, I get
error: cannot load RUU-2.01.605.11-mini.zip"

thats may fault,apparently i pulled a name switcheroo on ya... the flash zip command should use the same name as the md5sums command(miniRUU2.01.605.11.zip)

ive edited the OP to reflect it,it should work for you now.

sorry bout that :eek:

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty, great instructions so far! I'm curious, I've finished up to where I start Step 4 for manually ICS. I am completely up to stock (recovery, all apps, S-ON, unlocked bootloader, etc) and received the OTA prompt. Theoretically, do you think I could install the actual OTA or should I proceed with the manual ICS files you provided?

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty, great instructions so far! I'm curious, I've finished up to where I start Step 4 for manually ICS. I am completely up to stock (recovery, all apps, S-ON, unlocked bootloader, etc) and received the OTA prompt. Theoretically, do you think I could install the actual OTA or should I proceed with the manual ICS files you provided?

if you have the stock recovery,and all your apps you could take the OTA if you wanted. it will download the exact same files that you will apply manually,so i guess it comes down to wich will download them faster the phone or your PC,and wich one do you trust more to download without error ;)

the end result is exactly the same,neither loading the files manually or letting the phone download them will provide any advantage over the other.

Upvote 0
great post! I didn't delete any apps, because I had read on another forum that deleting system apps had messed up a previous OTA for someone on a rezound. I just had frozen apps, so I'm going to try your other suggestion:

-reflash GB backup and take OTA
-restore current backup(dont reboot after)
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reflash rom
-reboot

I am thinking about using this opportunity to install another ICS rom, not sure if I want to install nils or a senseless ROM...hmm. I am happy with newts but I'm worried ROM won't be updated any further.

So I'm going to try ViperRez for now. Someone asked on the other thread which ROMS were based on the .12 software build. It's basically the ones that have updated in July, I think. So ConROM, nils business sense (Sense 4 version), viperrez, senseless chaos, neomax (senseless) and OTA-ICS-Plus (stock ICS rom with a couple of addons).

I am not sure whether newts one xxx 3.2.1 (6/30) or ineffablis deus (updated 6/26) are based on .10 or .12. Not that there's a huge difference but still...

EDIT: Guess I will be trying this method after all, as my GB backup didn't restore through Amon RA :((

Upvote 0
Thanks Stotty! I've attempted to follow your instructions on Step 4. Renamed the first package to "update.zip," (verified that it did not have .zip.zip) and received a red caution icon rather than the yellow one you mentioned. Had to remove the battery on stock recovery since there was no option to reboot. Created a new copy of the package, and I even reflashed stock recovery on your instructions here (I first flashed stock recovery from your "root guide"). Still receiving the same icon. Not entirely sure what is happening here? I'm going to attempt to install the OTA and see if I receive the same thing.

Upvote 0
What caution icon are you referring to?

Black screen, picture of phone with the red caution sign. No other messages, and no other response from the volume rocker and power button. Pull the battery to remove myself from stock recovery. I am also S-ON; not sure if the manual didn't work because I wasn't S-OFF? I did try the OTA installation when I received the prompt, so on a positive note, the installation that route was a success! So I have ICS with all my data!

Brilliant instructions, sir!

Upvote 0
Scotty, I managed to perform the first update, but can't get the second (stage2) update.zip to work.

The first one seemed like it got picked up automatically through hboot, for the second one, I started stock recovery and chose the apply update from sdcard option.

It gave me the cache error and then said it was rebooting with error:
Invalid operation
success rebooting by reason oem-00

any ideas?

EDIT: Do you have to be locked? My installation of the mini-RUU worked just fine, got GB up and running, just FYI. Cleared the cache and dalvik cache, like u said. I do have superuser 0.94 installed, and flashed Setmainverlow.zip.

EDIT3: I tried flashing Setmainverlow.zip again, then trying to install update2, still didn't work. Going to see if I can get the OTA on the phone connection.

EDIT 4: Got the OTA over wifi, so that's good. Still don't know why it wouldn't work manually.

Earlier I had an issue when restoring the data part of my most recent backup. It sent stock GB into bootloops and I had to clear storage. My goal is to be running ViperRez with my data restored. My most recent backup is from newts, so I just want to make sure there are no conflicts, as long as I don't restore boot/system/cache.

Upvote 0
Black screen, picture of phone with the red caution sign. No other messages, and no other response from the volume rocker and power button. Pull the battery to remove myself from stock recovery. I am also S-ON; not sure if the manual didn't work because I wasn't S-OFF? I did try the OTA installation when I received the prompt, so on a positive note, the installation that route was a success! So I have ICS with all my data!

Brilliant instructions, sir!

You are at the point where you have to 1) hold down the volume up button 2) then press the power button

That will launch the stock recovery menu. The red icon is just kind of a safeguard to keep people from messing with stuff unless they know what they are doing. :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
You are at the point where you have to 1) hold down the volume up button 2) then press the power button

That will launch the stock recovery menu. The red icon is just kind of a safeguard to keep people from messing with stuff unless they know what they are doing. :)

Ah! Good to know! Appreciate the info! I'm fairly new at this process and the stock recovery system on HTC devices. I came from the OG Droid. I have a new appreciation for ADB thanks to you. I appreciate all your help.

Upvote 0
Yea I tried that, let me try it again..brb

EDIT:

Yup just tried it and same error message again. Everything went smoothly step by step..Currently Unlocked S-On, and Rooted.

OK, how about this. With the update.zip on your SD card, instead of typing 'adb reboot recovery', type 'adb reboot bootloader.' Then when the stock boot menu pops up, choose bootloader from the menu. On my phone it seemed like the screen that normally checks for PH98IMG.ZIP picked up the update.zip for phase 1 automatically, you have to tell it yes go ahead with update. Try that and let me know what happens.

Upvote 0
OK, how about this. With the update.zip on your SD card, instead of typing 'adb reboot recovery', type 'adb reboot bootloader.' Then when the stock boot menu pops up, choose bootloader from the menu. On my phone it seemed like the screen that normally checks for PH98IMG.ZIP picked up the update.zip for phase 1 automatically, you have to tell it yes go ahead with update. Try that and let me know what happens.

Just ran the ADB Reboot-Bootloader, hit bootloader, looks like it was looking for alot of files related to PH98IMG.ZIP which were not there and that's it. If I go into recovery once i'm there, same thing.

Upvote 0

-choose "update.zip"

Did you remember to wipe the cache from recovery before applying update? That's the only thing I can think of.

And just so we're on the same page, you did go through the steps to install the GB mini-RUU, right? Scotty has said that stock GB + stock recovery is all you need to be able to install the OTA. I was only able to get the first phase done manually, then I had to download the big OTA using wifi.

Upvote 0
Did you remember to wipe the cache from recovery before applying update? That's the only thing I can think of.

And just so we're on the same page, you did go through the steps to install the GB mini-RUU, right? Scotty has said that stock GB + stock recovery is all you need to be able to install the OTA. I was only able to get the first phase done manually, then I had to download the big OTA using wifi.

Yup, deleted the cache and the davlik cache. I even followed his instructions and made it stock again, then ran through the root unlock again. Followed by the instructions listed on this page and same results. I'll play with it more when I get home, i'll even try a different MicroSD card.

Side note, i still have not been prompted for the OTA install yet either.

Upvote 0
Scotty usually works til around 5, maybe he can help better when he gets off.

sorry guys,i dont know if i have anything real useful to add,im new to these OTAPkgs myself :eek: they were taken from the cache partition of my phone immediately after downloading. i dont think either contain info that is specific to my phone,but i could be wrong.

Scotty, I managed to perform the first update, but can't get the second (stage2) update.zip to work.

The first one seemed like it got picked up automatically through hboot,
hmm,hboot started the update? how did you have it named? "update","Update",or "UPDATE"? it could be that my s-off phone didnt do some security check that your s-on phones are doing.

after the update,did you check your build number? did stage1 take you to 2.01.605.12?

for the second one, I started stock recovery and chose the apply update from sdcard option.It gave me the cache error and then said it was rebooting with error:
Invalid operation
success rebooting by reason oem-00

any ideas?

none,whatsoever. if the first update worked,im not sure why the second would fail.

unless the first update didnt really work. but in that situation,i dont think youd have picked up the second stage via wifi,as youd have still been on 2.01.605.11. the OTA should have porompeted you for the 7mb one,if the first one hadnt really worked.

you did wipe cache with the stock recovery before chosing update from sd card?

EDIT: Do you have to be locked? My installation of the mini-RUU worked just fine, got GB up and running, just FYI. Cleared the cache and dalvik cache, like u said. I do have superuser 0.94 installed, and flashed Setmainverlow.zip.
no,i dont believe you need to be locked or relocked. my s-off phone was unlocked,and i have defiantely accepted OTAs while unlocked and s-on,so i wouldnt think this to be any different.

EDIT3: I tried flashing Setmainverlow.zip again, then trying to install update2, still didn't work. Going to see if I can get the OTA on the phone connection.

EDIT 4: Got the OTA over wifi, so that's good. Still don't know why it wouldn't work manually.
i actually would have thot changing your main version with the mainversionlow.zip would have been somewhat counterproductive,as i dont know how the updater scripts check for release firmware. changing the main version in the misc image may confusion,as other places that list the build number wont match it. but again,since you got the 2nd stage to download and apply,it must not have mattered much.

Earlier I had an issue when restoring the data part of my most recent backup. It sent stock GB into bootloops and I had to clear storage. My goal is to be running ViperRez with my data restored. My most recent backup is from newts, so I just want to make sure there are no conflicts, as long as I don't restore boot/system/cache.

newts is a different build alltotheger(inc 4g,not rezound),different framework,different sense version. im not surprised restring data from newts to stock GB sent it into a state of confusion.

in otherwords,yes,id think there to be conflicts! you can only restore your data back to the same rom.

At the beginning of the "Update1" portion I get this error
--Invalid Operation. --
Success Rebooting by reason: oem-00...
had you run the mini ruu?

were you competely stock?any apps frozen or deleted?

you were on build 2.01.605.11,correct?

youre using the stock recovery to try and wipe cache,and flash update.zip,correct?

Yup, deleted the cache and the davlik cache.
this comment makes me think you were maybe not using the stock recovery,as it does not have option to erase dalvik cache. only factory resert,and wipe cache

again,sorry guys. im not really sure why its not working correctly. i did this exact procedure to my phone twice(and a few failed attempts prior) so i thot since OTAPkg was a signed by htc file that you s-on'ers should have any prollems.

hopefully we can figure it out,as i was really hoping to to find an easier way for the folks that werent getting the prompt,or had failed attempts.

Upvote 0
after the update,did you check your build number? did stage1 take you to 2.01.605.12?

I did check this, because I was pasting the results of 'fastboot getvar all' on another thread and then later deleted it. So I'm 99 percent sure the first update worked, and was the .12 version number.

Now, I don't remember wiping the cache between update1 and update2, so that may have been my problem.

To the other poster, I would try doing as scotty said and flashing stock recovery.

I was wiping the cache and dalvik-cache using amon ra (fastbooted) and then rebooting into stock recovery for the update process. In your shoes I would try trying the cache wipe from within stock recovery, then trying to do the update.

Scotty, at some point darksideofjae said, "I even followed his instructions and made it stock again, then ran through the root unlock again."

Whereas I had never had to re-unlock my phone during this process, and I've always been S-ON. I went from rooted ICS on GB firmware, to running GB mini-ruu, to installing OTA update phase 1, to installing OTA over wifi. Never had to do the unlock token, just had to install superSU 0.94 where you had it in your instructions. (It worked on GB for me, too.)

darksideofjae, if you can use adb/fastboot commands, can you type 'fastboot getvar all' and copy and paste what it says here? (Blank out the fields that say serial number and IMEI, just for your privacy.)

As for my own problem, are you saying that if I tried to nandroid restore data.img from newts, then re-installed ViperRez completely, that my apps wouldn't be there? There is a market app called Nandroid browser that can extract single files from nandroid backups, but I'm not really looking forward to that LOL:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones