• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to] manually update to ICS without losing data

glad you got it figured out. im a lil confused on what you did,tho...

when you were stuck on the 4g screen,did hboot try and install update.zip? or the 3.14.605.12 ruu?

then,you installed the 3.14.605.12 ruu on the card reader? or one of the updates?

last and not least,after you flashed whatever you transfered via the card reader,you were able to simply apply the world phone update with the stock recovery?

i just want to have a clear understanding of what was going wrong,and what you did in case it may help others :cool:

Reactions: NEXTLOVER
Upvote 0
Hey Scotty,

This just isn't working for me. To recap, I rooted my phone with a stock rom, deleted bloatware, saw that ICS was out so I did a factory reset of my phone, tried to install ICS but got an error, relocked my bootloader and still got error because I was missing stock apps and I don't have a backup because of the factory reset. So here I am going through this tutorial and when I attempt it is not working but I can't tell exactly what step I lose out at but I think it is when I fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img, I do not get to use Amon Ra to remove X's and just select data. Can you help with this? Thanks in advance!

-John

Upvote 0
if you have allready relocked your bootloader,and done a factory reset,then your personal data is allready gone. you will save yourself quite a bit of fustration to go ahead and just run the OTA RUU.

this download is a .zip file that you can rename PH98IMG and place on the root of your sd card. boot to hboot(pull battery,vol down+power) and it should find the file and ask you to update.
Shipped ROMs

this file is a .exe file that you will run on your PC(as admin if possible) simply plug inthe phone when prompted.
Shipped ROMs

either way,make sure your phone is charged to 100% before starting,and once finished,youll be on factory fresh ICS. you can then attempt to apply the world phone update manually,or simply wait for it to but naturally pushed to your phone. :)

Upvote 0
glad you got it figured out. im a lil confused on what you did,tho...

when you were stuck on the 4g screen,did hboot try and install update.zip? or the 3.14.605.12 ruu?

then,you installed the 3.14.605.12 ruu on the card reader? or one of the updates?

last and not least,after you flashed whatever you transfered via the card reader,you were able to simply apply the world phone update with the stock recovery?

i just want to have a clear understanding of what was going wrong,and what you did in case it may help others :cool:

Sorry! Yeah, my instructions weren't clear.

I came from a fresh install of the ICS RUU because ViperRez ROM was messing up with battery life.

After installing the ICS RUU, I checked for system updates hoping the Global Capability OTA was available, but it wasn't. So I decided to use your instructions of manually installing it instead. But I kept getting an "Invalid operation.... OEM.... Rebooting" error yellow message and it couldn't install the update. This was at the step "-select apply update from sd card" and I had no option of selecting the "update.zip." I just kept getting that yellow error message and the phone would reboot. I was booting up fine though.

Decided to try the method of the androidpolice, but I did not extract the firmware.zip (PH98IMG.zip) so this was NOT in the sdcard, only the renamed "update.zip."

The first time I did the androidpolice method, I went into HBOOT menu via the vol.down, power.up method and that's when the update just automatically started; no way for me to stop it. I noticed that there were messages saying (in green) "Checking for boot image..." "No boot image found or wrong image" etc. But the update continued anyway.

After this update installed, that's when I got stuck on the 4g LTE screen. I kept pulling the battery and restarting the phone, but I always got stuck on that 4g lte screen. I tried the update process again (androidpolice) but I just kept getting stuck on that 4g screen too (kept looking for the boot image zip).

So that's when I grabbed the card reader so I could put the PH98IMG.zip there (I don't know how else to put the zip in the card). Tried the whole update process again via vol.down, power.up method to get into HBOOT menu and that's when the update finally went through :)

Like you, I thought I didn't need to do the PH98IMG.zip thing b/c I'm on stock recovery. Is it maybe b/c I came from a fresh install of RUU?

There was one person with the same problem at the androidpolice forum comments section, but the instructions on how to solve it was... confusing me LOL. So decided to do the PH98IMG.zip thing and thankfully it worked!

Now on to hunting for a ROM :D

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
hmm,so im still not sure what to think of all that. did you wipe cache in the stock recovery before trying to apply the update? if you had freshly installed 3.14.605.12 then i have no idea why the stock recovery wouldnt update.

ive read hboot will sometimes pickup "update.zip" but ive never personally been able to make that work. i assume that hboot would boot you to the stock recovery to install the software,but i dont know if it would do this prior or after installing firmware.

the seperate ph98img thing also confuses me. when there is a ph98img inside the .zip,i dont know why it would need to be on the sd as well? :thinking: i update from GB to ICS several times using the method in the first post,and i updated from ics to world phone ics with it as well... all without a seperate ph98img and recovery installed it fine.

your non booting prollem could be explained by flashing the ph98img when it was on the sd,and not flashing any software... thats what mine did when i didnt notice that the firmware.zip had a boot image in it.

the green writing you see in hboot happens every time you boot to it. one of hboots jobs is to check your sd for files that it knows how to flash. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,

I'm attempting the manual ICS installation as I'm currently living abroad, so OTA is not an option.

I recently unlocked the bootloader via HTC developer, as prescribed by your rooting guide. Stock recovery is intact, and all required files are downloaded.

I've followed the instructions on this guide, but thus far, I've accomplished the following:

• First update.zip placed on SD, hboot recognized it immediately and began installing. The recovery menu was not required for this initial step. Software is now 2.01.605.12
  • Second zip file, also renamed "update.zip" placed on SD, hboot did not recognize as it did the first.
  • Entered recovery mode, cleared cache
  • At this point, the update appeared to start behind the recovery menu. The progress bar appears during the cache-clearing process, then disappears once finished. However, the bar never fills, and after it disappears, the rezound becomes stuck on the "updating software from verizon wireless" bit.
  • I selected "apply update from SD card," but as NEXTLOVER described, this triggers an "Invalid Operation- Success Rebooting by reason: OEM."
  • The rezound reboots at this point, of course, and I have been unable to diagnose the issue of the non-progressing update process.

Any advice regarding how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
un fortunately,i have no idea why folks are having prollems with this... as ive mentioned,i repeated the process several times to make the guide and worked predictably,my only speculation at this point is that possibly the s-on phones behave a lil differently,for some reason.

does the phone boot normally? does everything work? what build are you on now,and what is the hboot version?

my best guess is that something has been modified from the partial update to the point that the phone now does not want to install the file.

did you clear cache the 2nd time prior to selecting update from sd?

if you find yourself on 3.12 software,but 2.11 hboot,you might try extracting OTAPkg,and flashing the PH98IMG in hboot. again,only do that if you find the software has been updated and not the firmware.

in a worse case,you can run the full 3.14.605.12 ruu,but that unfortunately will wipe your data. :(

sorry i dont have a more definatel answer than that.

Upvote 0
if you have allready relocked your bootloader,and done a factory reset,then your personal data is allready gone. you will save yourself quite a bit of fustration to go ahead and just run the OTA RUU.

this download is a .zip file that you can rename PH98IMG and place on the root of your sd card. boot to hboot(pull battery,vol down+power) and it should find the file and ask you to update.
Shipped ROMs

this file is a .exe file that you will run on your PC(as admin if possible) simply plug inthe phone when prompted.
Shipped ROMs

either way,make sure your phone is charged to 100% before starting,and once finished,youll be on factory fresh ICS. you can then attempt to apply the world phone update manually,or simply wait for it to but naturally pushed to your phone. :)

I clicked on both of the files and they take me to a blank page that says no input file specified.

Upvote 0
I clicked on both of the files and they take me to a blank page that says no input file specified.

hmm not sure what thats all about. heres a link to the vigor page:

Shipped ROMs

edit:
shipped roms must be having issues. clicking the links directly on their page gives the same error. hopefully the direct links will start working again shortly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones