• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to momentarily stop receiving texts without losing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veniceboy

Jan 27, 2012
Hi everybody,

Do you know if there is a way to momentarily stop receiving texts without losing them? I mean sometimes I m out with friends and I dont wanna be bothered by receiving texts and I dont want to receive them since they might read them etc. I just wanna stop receiving texts (but still be able to browse the H+ network since I sometimes throw youtube video on my phone, so flight mode is not a solution). But I dont wanna lose them, once I reactivate my "text capability" I wanna receive the texts that were be sent by my contacts to me ( for example T-mobile keep sending texts for 72 hours and even if your phone is off once u turn it on you receive them). Thanks for any help
V.

Both things, mainly the second you are right. And I had the private box of go sms pro for this, but it is not working on my new phone with Android 4.04 (see my post http://androidforums.com/android-ap...rivate-box-not-working-cause-1-area-code.html ) . So basically I am looking a for a easy switch (texts on-texts off) that is provisional and allows me to retrieve the texts when the switch is on. And I do want to receive calls, so flight mode is not an option.
Thanks

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Ok. I am dating a girl. She has full access at my phone. That s what she wants. I am not cheating on her or anything like that, but I have no privacy whatsoever. I have friends that are girls and I have no interest in them but explain that to my girl! The phone has to appear normal (i.e. no flight mode enable) when we are together, I have to receive calls, I just need not to receive any texts so easy life and no discussions.

Upvote 0
Ok. I am dating a girl. She has full access at my phone. That s what she wants. I am not cheating on her or anything like that, but I have no privacy whatsoever. I have friends that are girls and I have no interest in them but explain that to my girl! The phone has to appear normal (i.e. no flight mode enable) when we are together, I have to receive calls, I just need not to receive any texts so easy life and no discussions.

The only thing I can think of is to deactivate notifications in your Messaging app. You will still receive messages, but no notification sound will play and the notification will not appear in the notification bar. The only way that someone will know if you received a text message is if that person goes into your Messaging app and constantly checks to see if you received any messages.

I actually think that if you are in a serious relationship and almost getting married there should be no secrets and both should have free access to the phone. This is not my case though, I know her since 2 months.

In a serious relationship, I believe you should respect and trust the other person. There should be no need to go snooping into the other person's messages even though you can. My wife and I can access each other's phones freely, but we do pry into each others messages and emails regularly.

Perhaps times have changed since I've been dating. At least in my circle of friends over the years, we don't freely access each others' emails and messages. We didn't have smartphones back then or even text each other. Still, we do use each others computers, but no one launches someone else's email program to see the message.

Upvote 0
That would not work, she checks my inbox every now and then. I will give it a try with disabling the Messenger app in Settings, Applications, ALL. I just need to find a friend next to me that texts me to see what happens (desired behaviour:not receiving the text when app is off and when the app is enabled again the text is received)

Upvote 0
Be warned, If you disable the messaging app it won't show up in the app drawer.

Personally, that's going to look way more suspicious and as if you're deliberately trying to hide things

Not the route I'd suggest going down.

It will work for the "I don't want to be bothered scenario" originally presented, but will likely backfire in the snoopy gf scenario

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I have hide sms. It was working great. I love it. Also go sms private box was great! they both filter texts and u can decide to have a fake notification (like "update google") or no notification for texts. they solved my problem on my sony xperia with jelly bean. In my new Blu quattro 4.5 featuring android 4.04 I have this issue (http://androidforums.com/android-ap...rivate-box-not-working-cause-1-area-code.html) and they are not filtering anymore my texts. My life got so complicated now.

Upvote 0
Lol.... Another way to do it is download textfree and install go launcher or another launcher that has the hide app function, then hand out that number to the people that you want to text you but don't want your girlfriend knowing about and hide the app in the hide app drawer. Unless she's familiar with the function she won't know to look for it, and you can keep the app closed until you want to read any possible messages. There might also be a disable notifications on there, and the app itself is login protected. The reason for going with go launcher or another app? You simply want your phone to look cooler.

The above said, you're going out of your way to be deceptive and have your way, which is not conducive to a healthy relationship in my opinion.

But, you came on here for a solution, so there it is :)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones