1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to mount as a disk drive instead of a media device?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mike1215, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Mike1215

Mike1215 Newbie
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Male
    Basically, I have a backup program that I use for synchronization and I want to use it to sync my music from my computer (since I add, delete, and change songs constantly) to my phone, and so far, all the syncing methods have been pretty terrible or unreliable.

So I figured I'd use my backup program to do full sync between my music folder on my PC and my Music folder on the SD card of my Galaxy S4. But when I plug it in my computer, it connects as a portable media device, and since it connects as a media device, there's no technical "folder path" because Windows does not assign it a drive letter. Well... my backup program requires a folder path with a drive letter. Any help? (or any suggestions on a reliable and easy way to sync a folder on my computer to a folder on my SD card?)

Advertisement

costraccoraull likes this.
  2. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    Let me suggest an alternative: Bitorrent Sync. I've been using it for a while for managing a collection of comics I that I read on my tablet or phone, and then when done swap out for a new set. It is easy and works well.

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Pop the card out of the phone and use a usb card reader.

USB mass storage is not supported by Android any more, so MTP ("media device") is all you will get. So if the software that works with MTP doesn't do what you want, and what you want to use requires USB mass storage, then you need to read the card through a different device rather than the phone.

Crashdamage and costraccoraull like this.
  4. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    In suggest you do the sync from the phone using an app like SyncMe Wireless which works fine so long as the PC is visible on the same network. I sync to a CIFS share on a NAS box on my home wifi but any visible share on a Windows PC should work just as well.

Wired (or weird) MTP connections are for the birds - and best ignored IMO.