• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to open contact details with Gmaps, not HTC location/map app?

qwerty100

Sep 14, 2009
Before the 2.3.3 update, when I wanted to view a contacts address I would just click "View Home address" on the contacts info screen, this used to launch google maps.

This has somehow changed, and now launches the HTC location app. I dont like HTC's location maps thing and I'd like the old behaviour back. Anyone have any ideas how to change this??

I did do a factory reset after the update and have a good mess with the settings etc so potentially may have changed something....

Thanks in advance

This has been discussed before and it was a previous update that changed the behaviour. It could have been the 2.2.1 upgrade that got pulled which is why you didn't see it. This has been discussed before though, when it happened so a 'search' will get more information.

From memory there isn't a way of changing this behaviour. From HTC's viewpoint it makes sense to try to 'coerce' people to use their own offerings. Hence 'Sense' etc. My own opinion is that I'd rather not open a mapping application when viewing a contact's details unless "I" wanted to. The thing that made me change from the HTC people app was that you couldn't see the whole postal address in the details. You had to tap this then highlight the pin on the map to bring it up. If all I wanted was the address to send a letter to this was a pain in the behind ..... Plus, if they're in my contacts I probably know where they live anyway.

I now use Youlu which does give the complete postal address when viewing details, no matter how long it is (at least, the longest address I have for a contact is displayed in it's entirety). If you then tap it you get Google maps up, as you would prefer. My preference here would be the option to a) display a map or not and b) if displaying a map, which mapping app to use (you may well have your own installed - Copilot for example).

So, if you want Google maps get Youlu.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones