1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to open Memos files (.smm) on PC or on Mac?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by taimotsei, Dec 29, 2011.

1. taimotsei

taimotsei Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011

Advertisement

2. taimotsei

taimotsei Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
  3. amralomari

amralomari Lurker
    None

May 14, 2012
    yes plllllllllllllllz

4. xsenman

xsenman Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2012
  5. peterpink

peterpink Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2012
    I have read other people's woeful tales regarding inability to open either mms or vnt files (created by Samsung Galaxy) on a Computer. Kies will do the export from Galaxy to PC, but does NOT open it - my copy of Kies will not even show files that exist on my PC, and responds not when I highlight the file and ask Kies to open it.

TxtPad does not open either file type for me - garbled encoded message only.

Is this a massive black hole in android technology? Are we truly in a position where expensive and clever devices from Samsung of all people will NOT allow the memos created upon them be read by another computer-device?

6. ictcomp

ictcomp Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2012
    The only workaround that I've found to convert Samsung memos from my Galaxy Fit to a text file or anything PC compatible was to do it from the smart phone itself. I have Kingsoft Office suite installed (which is a wonderful free office suite btw) but probably my method would work on any Android text editor or word processor.

Step 1 - open the memo that you need to convert and tap it so that you see the cursor.
    Step 2 - click-and-hold the cursor (or somewhere where there is text) and choose Select All.
    Step 3 - click-and-hold on the selected text and choose Copy
    Step 4 - open your word processor (in my case Kingsoft Word) and paste the text.
    Step 5 - Save it! If you save it on SD card, it might be easier to transfer to PC.

7. AVMR

AVMR Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2013
    There is one more way to do this. I did this on my PC:
    1> Update to latest version of Kies first
    2> Connect mobile (mine is Samsung Galaxy Y)
    3> Select 'Sync' from the top menu tabs
    4> Check the 'Sync Memo with Outlook' checkBox under 'Personal information' (after selecting a folder for storing Memos)
    5> Click on 'All Memos'
    6> Click on 'Sync' above
    7> Open that folder in Outlook. You will see the memos there.
    8> Open one at a time and copy the information into your favourite text-editor and then keep them safe from getting deleted! :)

8. lhale

lhale Lurker
    None

May 13, 2015
    Male
    1) Kies 3 on a PC does not have a 'Sync Memo with Outlook' checkBox under 'Personal information'.
    2) Kingsoft Office suite installed on phone just now ran but cannot directly open .mmn memo files (which is why ictcomp above did a copy/paste work flow instead)
    3) Latest Droid 5.0 (lollipop) on an S5 does not have a copy/paste operation for selected memo(s)
    4) Latest Droid 5.0 (lollipop) on an S5 is allowed to share to lots of apps, including email, so I just sent all my recent memos that way (no need for file conversion nonsense or Kingsoft install)

9. Priyanshu Joshi

None

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    I have just used Google Drive to transfer all memo from Phone to Email account.... I hope this helps...

10. TerriTypes

TerriTypes Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2016
    Female
    I agree - this is the simplest way. To do this - open up your Memos, click on More (top right hand corner on my phone) and then select Share. You then select (one at a time unfortunately) the memo you want to save/read/open, etc., and a screen will pop up asking you where you want to send the memo. I shared mine with Google Drive, but there is also an option to send the memo to your email, as well as other sharing options. After doing this - I went to my Google Drive account on my PC and presto! All my memos were there in readable format :)

11. walterbyrd

walterbyrd Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    > I have just used Google Drive to transfer all memo from Phone to Email account.... I hope this helps...

Can this be done the other way around?

Can I create a google doc, or google email, and send it to memos on my Samsung 5?

12. Jawid Ahmad

Jawid Ahmad Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    My problem is a bit different, If this is not the place to post my question, please ignore it.

QUESTION:

Usually I keep recording personal related data on the default application of my Android Mobil (Model: A7 Manufactured data 2015). Unfortunately My phone dropped in to water and shut off. After repairing and restoring my data from an old archive, I am not able to open the backup of that MEMO file. Seems it has been encrypted with having the extension of (NMemo.enmm). I need your technical support to help me open this file and retrieve my records.
    NOTE: I will share and upload the actual file, if required.

13. quercusnut

quercusnut Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2016
    Male
    I use Clipboard app. Saves memos as doc. files on my phone. Send to laptop with Airdroid.