1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to Password Protect Data Connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dpakshisho, Jan 29, 2016.

1. dpakshisho

dpakshisho Newbie

Is there any way or app with which I can password protect the Data Connection on my moto G3(Marshmallow) non rooted device?

#1 dpakshisho, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Welcome to Android Forums.

Can you give brief description of what you are trying to accomplish? Data Connection? Password protect?

... Thom

3. dpakshisho

dpakshisho Newbie

I want if someone turns on my mobile data, it should ask for password before turning it on.

4. You are un-root-ed. Why not just use the lock screen with a password preventing any access to the device?

If you rely on an app running on an unlocked device why wouldn't the person just delete the app?

... Thom

5. dpakshisho

dpakshisho Newbie

My requirement is specific, and its just to prevent the unintentional use of data when its in hands of kids. They wont delete the app. And I use the screen lock but have to give it unlocked to kids for playing games, and i cant help it :p
    There are specific apps which work on android 4.2 and lower but do not work on Android 5 & 6.
    Is there any other alternate.
    nd thanks for ur reply.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Take the SIM out or buy a second cheap device for the kids to play, like a $30 Walmart tablet instead of using your expensive Moto for the kids' games. Just an idea.

BTW I'm a full-time kindergarten and primary school teacher, so I know how kids can wreck things, especially if unsupervised. :)

#6 mikedt, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    KOLIO likes this.
  7. Manually turn data off when you hand them the unblocked phone and tell them to not turn data back on.

... Thom

8. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

To directly answer your question... No, there is no way to password protect *only* the mobile data connection, on a stock or rooted device. On a rooted device you could probably modify the AOSP code to do this yourself, but I have never heard of anyone doing this before.

9. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Could you do something with Tasker... So that after someone turned it on., it would turn itself off automatically unless you entered a password? Just thinking out loud

10. acejavelin

Maybe... on a rooted device (Mobile Data On or Off would require root permissions) with a security/password plug-in and enough fiddling around with it could probably make it work. Too bad Motorola didn't implement guest or multi-user accounts, that could potentially make this simpler or not necessary.

OP stated non-rooted device though... :/

psionandy likes this.
  11. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Ok... How about this as a workaround... No root required. Just edit the apn name by adding a character. Then when you take the device back.. Change it to the correct address.

dpakshisho and acejavelin like this.
  12. acejavelin

That would probably work... Or just make a dummy APN that fails and toggle to it, than switch back when done. If you don't know where it is buried, would be rough to work around.

dpakshisho and psionandy like this.
  13. dpakshisho

dpakshisho Newbie

Making a dummy APN or changing the APN name did not work, data is still on,dont know how.

#13 dpakshisho, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. acejavelin

Hmm... Must be auto-config from SIM card. I'll sleep on it

15. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Thom likes this.
  16. acejavelin

I tried this, it made no sense it didn't work, and it absolutely worked for me... Do it like this:

- Create a new APN
    - Set Name field to "Dummy" (or something that fits what you need)
    - Set the APN field to "dummy"
    - Set APN type field to "default" (do not leave as Not Set)
    - Press the overflow menu button (3 dots in the upper right corner) and select Save

The Device uses APN's in a priority and application order, the first ticked APN is considered the "primary" and if something needs access to a mobile network service, it looks in the active APN first for that type of service such as default (generic Internet), mms (picture messaging), supl (Secure User Plane location data), hipri (High Priority Mobile data, not sure how to explain this one), and fota (Firmware Over The Air, or OTA updates), if it finds the needed service in the default APN, it will use it, if it does not, it will go in a top down search order to try to find the proper match for the service. This is how some carriers can use one APN for Internet, and a different one for mms (not common, at least in the US). APN types "admin" or "vzwadmin" should not come into play here.

Note that in toggling back and forth, I could not get LTE to connect back up and the Moto G got stuck in HSPA+ mode, toggling in and out of Airplane restored LTE service though.

Oh, and although this isn't really the thread for it, I would recommend NOT ever having "admin" in any APN type field, this allows remote administration of your network connection.

#16 acejavelin, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. dpakshisho

dpakshisho Newbie

Thanks for ur reply!
    It worked this time, I set all the names in APN type field (accept Admin) and its working for me. If i face any problem, will let u know. Thanks a ton :)

#17 dpakshisho, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    psionandy and acejavelin like this.
  18. acejavelin

This actually is a working solution if you block access to settings since you can't toggle mobile data on and off from the notification quick buttons any more. I tested it and it works if you only lock the Settings app since that mobile data toggle is embedded in that app and can't be reached elsewhere.

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews