1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to pet a cat

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zuben el genub, Jan 20, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    A diagram:

-Mod edit, image is NSFW

Our 3 idiots all like "noogies" on the head.

Advertisement

Speed Daemon likes this.
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person -
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin and programmer
    /home/LosAngeles
    I don't know who came up with that chart, but--in my experience--it couldn't be more wrong! :eek:

Seriously, the area they marked "[BLANK] YOU!!" (tummy area) has historically been my cats' favorite place to be petted. :thinking:

badblue1 likes this.
  3. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    I agree. Clearly, the designer of that chart has never petted a cat. Cats like almost every part petted and scratched.

badblue1 likes this.
  4. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    truck driver
    ~ the "burgh" ~
    +1^
    I have 2 cats and believe me when i tell you, the tummy is their favorite spot to be petted.

5. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    /home/LosAngeles
    I'm glad I'm not alone! My little girl, Joy Noelle, has this whole routine of rolling around on the floor or on top of the microwave, WAITING for her tummy to be rubbed. Even my newest rescue, an adult male, LOVES having his tummy rubbed and did right from the start.

6. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    Well I've known some cats to lie on their backs, inviting you to rub their stomach and then they clasp onto your arm and claw the sh!t out of it with their back paws... but I think that is just the psychotic ones

I think that this cat petting guide is funnier juxtaposed in context with the dog petting guide as in this following image (hidden for same reasons as in OP):

[​IMG]

:)

7. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Lol! yep, dogs are easy!

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    You're misinterpreting them. Some cats want to play, so they lie on their backs and when you pet them, they "play" with your hand. Yes, raking your hand with its hind claws is considered to be "playing" to them.

Also, all cats are different. I had two cats and one likes being pet a lot more than the other. It's also a good idea to learn how to communicate with them, so you know whether or not they want to be pet before you try.

MoodyBlues and davoid like this.
  9. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    I do get that they are playing, but for that reason I think it's incorrect to suggest that the creator of that "petting map" has never petted a cat before merely because others have had a more pleasant experience of petting their cats in the "**** YOU!" zone. It's more than likely that the creator has petted cats there before, and had the cat "play" with them rather than lie there purring.

Or do the earlier posters who say their cats love being rubbed and scratched on their stomachs deduce this love by how much blood the cats draw with their claws? ;)

So do you see the lying on their back inviting a petting as a likely sign that they want to "play", i.e. fight, or do you use some other means to discriminate this from their wanting to be affectionately stroked?

I ask this as you suggest you can communicate with them. What are the different signs, because I haven't managed to discern them yet.

10. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    What, your cat doesn't talk?

11. huh

huh Android Expert

Oct 10, 2012
    Female
    Life
    in total denial
    um...Im just gonna zip it;)

12. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    /home/LosAngeles
    But when someone posts an apparently generic chart about ALL cats' petting preferences, they shouldn't base it on THEIR specific experience.

No blood here! And I rub my baby's tummy every day. However, I will admit that she's picky about who's allowed to pet her tummy. :eek: My friend and I have a funny routine we call Joy's "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" act. Joy will get up on the microwave, and my friend and I take turns petting her. When *I* am petting her, she's all "oh, Mommy, look how sweet and demure I am!" and she's just as gentle as can be. Then the split second that my friend takes over, Joy swats at her and tries to bite her hand. It's all in good fun and Joy doesn't draw blood or anything, and it's actually quite hilarious to watch because the difference is like night and day. And no matter how many times we trade off, she changes personalities, BOOM!, just like that. :D

It depends on the cat. I [currently] have six cats. They're all rescues and all indoor only. Each one has a distinct personality, along with distinct likes and dislikes--just as any sentient being, including the human variety. :) My newest rescue definitely likes playing in the "kick your arm with his hind legs" manner, but there's a very distinct behavior he does that leads up to that. It took me like a day to figure it out. It involves rolling around on his back and meowing a very specific meow. When I choose to go along--under those circumstances--I know what's coming, so I expect it. But at other times he really just wants his tummy rubbed, and does not do any of the telltale signs that he's baiting me and wants to play.

How long have you had cats? I've had them for 40+ years, so maybe reading them is just natural to me now. I don't know. But if you pay attention to what they're doing and how they're doing it, you should be able to discern their specific quirks pretty easily.

davoid likes this.
  13. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Well, when one man say scat cat, another man will say, here kitty kitty! ;)

14. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    You need to look at more signs than the cat just lying on its back. Sometimes lying on its back is a defensive position that allows it to counter strike with all 4 paws and bite. You have to be able to tell the difference if the cat is inviting you to rub its belly or if it is taking a defensive position. If its claws are extended, then it is likely not a good idea to rub its belly.

If I encounter a cat that doesn't know me, I usually crouch down and stretch out my arm and make a fist. I hold the fist a little lower than the cat's head level. If the cat is interested, it will come up to your fist and sniff it. If it is comfortable with me, it will likely rub my fist with its head. Then I can start petting its head. I usually like to stroke it under the chin. This may result in the cat actually lying down. If it likes your petting, it will likely purr.

Whether or not a cat likes a belly rub depends on the cat. You can choose to make your way down the cats belly by stroking its chin and work your way slowly down. I will show some resistance if it is not into that.

I find that cats differ in where and how much it likes or does not like to be pet. A friend's cat would bite me if I touch a certain spot on either hip. Not hard enough to draw blood, but just enough to send a message to not go there. My cats did not have this issue. It helps to know the cat.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  15. Fr0stTr0n

Fr0stTr0n Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2013
    Male
    Rocky Mountains
    My cat thinks author of article is stooooopid

[​IMG]

16. huh

huh Android Expert

Oct 10, 2012
    Female
    Life
    in total denial
    um..why is my cat at your house? seriously one of my cats looks just like yours!!( I have 2) I'll try to post a pic

17. Fr0stTr0n

Fr0stTr0n Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2013
    Male
    Rocky Mountains
    Whyz soo seriouzz?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]