• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Pick a Rom?

Barats

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
Ok so I just rooted. Now my next step is picking a Rom. Can anyone point me to the really good ones? I went to the XDA website and there's threads that have 19k and 16k replies. No way I'm going through all that. From what I'm reading, Cyn and Myn are really good. Also heard Fresh was real good but I hear a lot of people have problems with it.

I know there's a guide in the stickies about Roms but I'd like a user interaction and what people on here are using. I know Cyn doesn't have 4G. Have they fixed their text and voicemail problem that I was reading about?

All this stuff seems so overwhelming with all the Roms, themes, kernels, radios, etc to get. :eek:

SO far I've only flashed fresh and I like it enough to stick with it for awhile.

I think the place to start is to figure out what you must have working. I like everything working... 4g, camera, hdmi port... I would suggest to you start there. If you need them all working that really narrows down your choices.

If not then experimentation is your friend. I don't think ROM manager (the paid version) is really worth it, but Ti backup pro is. The only app I've ever paid for. If you have that you can try new roms all day long.

Upvote 0
I really like Cyanogen's ROMs because they're very well finished overall. They support many devices and have many people working on them so you get a much more reliable product in general. Right now I'm using an RC (Release Candidate) and the ONLY bug I've noticed is that mms pix are kinda blurry. Big whoop...

With nandroid backups there is really no risk in flashing a ROM to try it out and then flashing right back to where you were if you don't like it. I have a mt4g and I go back and forth between cm6 and Sense about twice a week, just because I'm restless and indecisive, lol. :p

I like MyBackupPro because it's more visual and easier to use than Titanium.

Try out a bunch of ROMs and see what you think. No big deal, really...

Upvote 0
I really like Cyanogen's ROMs because they're very well finished overall. They support many devices and have many people working on them so you get a much more reliable product in general. Right now I'm using an RC (Release Candidate) and the ONLY bug I've noticed is that mms pix are kinda blurry. Big whoop...

With nandroid backups there is really no risk in flashing a ROM to try it out and then flashing right back to where you were if you don't like it. I have a mt4g and I go back and forth between cm6 and Sense about twice a week, just because I'm restless and indecisive, lol. :p

I like MyBackupPro because it's more visual and easier to use than Titanium.

Try out a bunch of ROMs and see what you think. No big deal, really...

I'm also running the current stable ROM from Cyanogen which I seem to prefer at the moment due to stability, performance and battery life. I've tried Sense and AOSP ROM's. I'd say it's all a matter of preference. I have 5 Nandroid backups on my SD card so I can swap between them (Fresh, Myn's, Evio, Cyanogen and Frost). You'll have to play around with them to see what you like best. Be sure to use Titanium Backup or Mybackup Pro prior to wiping ANYTHING. Export your SMS/MMS, Contacts and anything else you need. I agree that Mybackup Pro is more user friendly and gets the job done. However I still use both depending on the ROM I'm running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones