• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to play AVI, MKV, WMV, MOV and more on Android phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android phone only supports relatively few video formats (only supports H.263, H.264 AVC, MPEG-4 SP video format).

So if you want to play AVI, Xvid, DivX, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, SWF, ASF, MPG, MOV, MPEG, HD, MTS, M2TS, and TS on your Android phone like Samsung i7500, Samsung Galaxy, HTC Hero, HTC Legend, HTC Desire HD, HTC Wildfire, Motorola Droid, Motorola Flipout, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, LG Ally and etc, you need to convert them to android phone compatible video format like mpeg-4

the following is a step by step guide on how to do that
http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-video-to-android-phone-format.html

hope it helps more or less

Upvote 0
NiceJane is wrong. Using the MoboPlayer, I can play AVI, WMV, FLV, MPG, MOV, & MP4 files on my Android 2.2-based LG Optimus S, which only has a 600MHz ARM6 CPU and is far less powerful than the Galaxy. Android only natively supports these video file formats, but software developers are free to write software to decode whatever file format they like. You really just need good media player software. Try MoboPlayer or RockPlayer.

However, just because a particular format is supported by a media player, that doesn't mean that your phone has the horsepower to smoothly decode and display higher definition video files. For example, my lowly LG Optimus can play relatively low-resolution AVI files smoothly, but it can't smoothly play high-resolution AVI files.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is puzzling me, i have put AVI'S, and XVID'S on my galaxy s2 and they play perfect, no other app needed ??????
Samsung has improved the standard Android player with their own version in SGS2. This one is able to play Divx/Xvid encoded files.

So, basically you can use the default player, and if you come across a video file that you can't play, try another one from Market.

Upvote 0
hi everyone...

i'm considering buying the SGS2 soon...

Right now i'm using the Nokia N900, which as you know, is incredible and superb. as well as, it can play any video extension in the whole universe (seriously) without shattering or lag!!!

question is: Does the SGS2 (particularly) play the HDTV (for watching TV series) videos with XviD or DIVX and the x264 formats?... and can i download the highest quality of HDTV videos (such as 720p x264) and without shattering (since it has a powerful process!) using the built-in media player ? :)

Guys I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the answer as fast as possible :(

So PLEASE give me a hand... so i can enter the Android world :)

Upvote 0
hi everyone...

i'm considering buying the SGS2 soon...

Right now i'm using the Nokia N900, which as you know, is incredible and superb. as well as, it can play any video extension in the whole universe (seriously) without shattering or lag!!!

question is: Does the SGS2 (particularly) play the HDTV (for watching TV series) videos with XviD or DIVX and the x264 formats?... and can i download the highest quality of HDTV videos (such as 720p x264) and without shattering (since it has a powerful process!) using the built-in media player ? :)

Guys I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the answer as fast as possible :(

So PLEASE give me a hand... so i can enter the Android world :)
You question is SGS2 specific, so it would be best to discuss it in SGS2 forum section: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android Forums

As far as I know, you should have no trouble to play most of the video formats with the SGS2 video player (Divx/Xvid/x264 720p up to MP should not be a problem). In case you have an issue, you can always try other video players from Market that are specifically optimized for dual-core phones.

Reactions: khalil20089
Upvote 0
You question is SGS2 specific, so it would be best to discuss it in SGS2 forum section: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android Forums

As far as I know, you should have no trouble to play most of the video formats with the SGS2 video player (Divx/Xvid/x264 720p up to MP should not be a problem). In case you have an issue, you can always try other video players from Market that are specifically optimized for dual-core phones.
thanks so much for the fast replying...

i almost forgot one more question !l :eek: ...

Does the built-in media player of SGS2 enables you to resize the video to fit the screen? and if not, is there 3rd party apps for playing avi vids. in fullscreen ?

I'm sorry for not putting my posts in the right forum, cuz i'm a new member and i'm on a rush. :(

Upvote 0
Does the built-in media player of SGS2 enables you to resize the video to fit the screen? and if not, is there 3rd party apps for playing avi vids. in fullscreen ?
I'm almost certain that the default media player in SGS2 should be able to allow you to play video in full screen. In any case, other video players like MoboPlayer can fit video to full screen.

Reactions: khalil20089
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones