• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to play video on Desire?

julianb

May 11, 2010
Hi everyone,
I looked into this forum and in Google but with no success so far...
Yesterday I bought HTC Desire and can not understand how to play the supported video formats- mp4, wmv and 3gp on the device. I am not trying to stream these files from Internet- I have them already downloaded on my PC. I want to copy them onto my Desire and somehow play them. I have several questions:
1. Do I need to resize the video files- do they require specific resolution in order to be played?
2. Do I need to copy these videos to a specific folder on the device? Or I can just create new folder through my PC and dump them there.
3. How the hell can I actually play the movies once they get onto the device? I can not see an application which launches movies. There is a music player but not a movie player. Do I need to download a widget or an application which runs movies? If yes- please recommend a good one.

Sorry for the load of questions but this is my first smart phone and don't know anything really.

Thanks a lot for the help.

1. No. I personally reduce mp4's down to a max of 1gb per hour. I doubt you would notice much quality difference with anything over this.

2. I just drag and drop into the Video folder. Just create a new folder if it isn't there already.

3. Took me a minute to find this. Go into photos, you'll find your videos here.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the help, Sypher. I just did what you suggested and surprise-surprise- it worked.
Could you please share what software you use to deal with the video (compressing, editing and settings). I just tried Cowon's Jet Audio but once I upload the edited video it plays incredibly coppy on the Desire with audio and video out of sync.

Thanks a lot again.

Upvote 0
I see Handbrake mentioned a LOT...but no one ever hardly mentions a prog I found out about when I had the Sammy Omnia i8910HD recomended by one of the regs on their forum called Format Factory....it's free too and best of all - really fast - with all the pre-defined formats too....I found it better than HB and have used it ever since. Awesome prog... ;)

Upvote 0
I see Handbrake mentioned a LOT...but no one ever hardly mentions a prog I found out about when I had the Sammy Omnia i8910HD recomended by one of the regs on their forum called Format Factory....it's free too and best of all - really fast - with all the pre-defined formats too....I found it better than HB and have used it ever since. Awesome prog... ;)

Hiya, can you suggest the settings for the format Factory...
350mb xvid to play on Desire

At least until we get standard divx/xvid support

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones