1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General how to prepare for GB?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chrisvr6, Jul 28, 2011.

1. chrisvr6

chrisvr6 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm rooted, supercharged and sd peed increased. Bloatware frozen too. Can i just unfreeze and do a factory reset? Z4 had a unroot function but not sure about this root on dx2.

Advertisement

2. fbm111

fbm111 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2010
    I think I would do nothing. Wait for the gingerbread update to be rooted and packaged. Then use that one through.

If you wanted to go OTA then I would factory wipe and sbf back to stock. Only reason I say factory wipe is because I think it will all run better together that way.

Chances of being able to root the gingerbread update is almost zero. This phone does not seem to have alot of dev support yet.

3. chrisvr6

chrisvr6 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    So, factory wipe is to sbf?

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i don't see a root method for GB coming at all. Like the above said you will probably have to wait for someone to make a pre rooted install of it....mainly P3droid.

none of the Moto/VZW 2.3 builds have a way to root the OTA

5. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Sort of related, is it better to do a factory reset before the OTA and start fresh, or are Android updates pretty good about integrating with existing setups? I really want to minimize any surprises (if any).

6. kramerica

kramerica Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    West Michigan

Factory wipe is removing the data from the phone. You can do this from settings-privacy-factory reset. SBF is putting your phone back to the stock rom. I do recommend wiping data before the sbf as it can cause a boot loop fwiw. I also like to do this data wipe from recovery in clockwork so that I can also clear cache and dalvik.

7. kramerica

None

Nov 5, 2009
    West Michigan

It depends on your setup but if your rooted and have apps frozen, then I would for sure unroot and factory reset and almost certainly sbf if you are going to make that jump. Fresh is better it and will alleviate a great many headaches. As trophy said above, I would wait for root on GB until it gets rooted as with the upgrade you obviously lose root.

This is of course my own personal opinion, but I've tried doing it the "easy" way so many times by not unrooting, not resettting, etc, that I end up doing an sbf down the road anyway because of all the issues that pop up and its hard to pinpoint and troubleshoot what or where they might be.

CPR likes this.
  8. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm not rooted. Just have a lot of apps. I didn't know if Android updated/integrated smoother with a clean phone, or if leaving all my stuff in there would be OK.

9. kramerica

None

Nov 5, 2009
    West Michigan

I have My Backup Pro which is great for phone data (mms, call logs, settings) but the app backup WITH data is hit and miss. It will reload all the apps 1 @ a time but the app data doesn't always follow. Titanium is where its at for backups. Quick and painless but it course you need root.