1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to prevent killing an app

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    Helllo Forum,

I'm often annoyed, that android kills some recently opened apps and have to start them again. Is there any possibiltiy to "mark" an app to not be closed or killed by android automatically. I don't see a neccesity to close some apps, if there is enough ram free. For example I want to have the 920er App (text editor) open all the time (for my personal notes). For example an app, which prevents closing other apps?

Many Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Pretty sure there's no native or non-root capability to do this...

The app that currently has "focus" (is front/open on your device) should not be getting auto-killed, but your other recent apps may be being impacted by apps that have background services that are using/needing system resources (i.e., syncing, playing music, etc.), so it's likely what you're seeing is a result of the mix of apps you have.

I spent a lot of time a few years back trying to figure out why one of the apps I was developing (that had a service component) kept getting killed auto-killed. The end result was I simply had to make sure the app properly restarted itself (not intuitive to me at that time). What an app does get auto-killed, it should be coded to resume from the last context it had saved, but it must be coded correctly in order to do this (although I'm sure there are some scenarios where the restart takes a noticeable amount of time).

Hope that helps!

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    With root, xposed module: "app settings", designate the app as "always resident" and it will not be killed easily.

Without root, poke around in settings to see what apps are using your memory (running services only are relevant, don't worry about cached processes), and think about uninstalling them if you don't need them.

#3 electricpete, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    scary alien likes this.
  4. scrutinizer

scrutinizer Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2016
    Thank you for your answers!

scary alien likes this.