1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to prevent LCD from turning on everytime I charge??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eyecon82, Apr 11, 2012.

1. eyecon82

eyecon82 Well-Known Member

How do i prevent the screen from turning on everytime i plug in the charger, remove it, or it gets to 100%?

its very annoying to wake up in the middle of the night to a glowing screen because the stupid thing leave the screen on when it gets fully charged

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member

my wife hates that part too, when it gets too 100% it kicks the light on, and wakes her up. i have been charging it upside down.

3. eyecon82

If you use a dock. It is hard to do that ;) plus you have to remember to flip it.

Just another task to do before going to sleep :(

So stupid we can't change those settings.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I charge mine in the computer room so when it beeps and activates the screen briefly after a full charge, it doesn't bother anyone.

5. eyecon82

That wouldn't work for me since I go to sleep studying from it :(

You can stop the beep by just silencing it. you can't stop the screen from turning on

6. eyecon82

Does it stay on all night for the rest of you? Someone said it doesn't happen to them. And could be a rogue app??

If you have a video loaded on mobolayer it just leaves the screen on, unless you exit. I can't find any option to stop that behavior. As a result, I think it screws with my global screen timeout settings. Maybe that's it?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I think that was me in another thread...and it sounds like the video player is keeping the screen on. I'm guessing with this new info that you're literally falling asleep with the Tab still playing? If so, you need to learn to exit the apps and turn off the screen, then go to sleep. I have a specific routine before going to bed that involves several steps, including plugging in my phone and tablet just before getting into bed. I don't fall asleep with anything in my bed except my wife.
    :D

8. eyecon82

no, i never fall asleep with videos playing. I hardley use moboplayer. It's mostly reading word documents while i fall asleep.

9. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Member

The screen on mine always turns on and stays on after it hits full charge. I have checked all the apps that I think could be causing it but no luck.

10. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member

do you have it set to lock?

i have mine set at 5 minutes, so even after it charges it turns back off in 5 minutes

11. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Member

After doing a little research I was able to find a solution to the problem. If you go in to Settings/applications/Development. Uncheck the Stay Awake (Screen will never sleep while charging) Box. I did this and then charged up my tablet and when it hit 100 it came on briefly then shut itself off again.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

That would explain why it stays on when plugged in, but I don't believe it's enabled by default, so you or someone else must have turned it on at some point?

13. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Member

I didn't know about the Development section under Apps until yesterday but like you previously said a rogue app might have activated it.

14. eyecon82

thanks buddy! but mine was already unchecked...i wonder whats going on!

15. sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

I just turn my tab off then plug it into the charger.
    No beeps, no screen, because it's off.
    Works for me.

I stumbled onto this because my tab has the power problem. When it's asleep sometimes it won't wake up. I have to hold the power button for 12 seconds to get it to turn on. Since I started turning it off every night to charge it I don't have the power problem anymore. Well a 99% improvement anyway.

16. eyecon82

i would turn it off...but i have word files that are 600 pages long...and word to go takes like 3 mins to process it and its a PITA to find out where i last left off

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

You need a laptop...tablets are not ready for mainstream applications and 600+ page documents...use the right tool for the job.
    ;)

18. eyecon82

Actually it is much better to flip through the pages instead of scrolling with a mouse. I really enjoy it as long as I don't shut that program down and have to reload it

I'm not editing it. Rather reading from it. Same with pdfs

19. Thorsten

Thorsten Android Enthusiast

Well, then perhaps converting those long read-only Word documents to PDF before copying them to your Tab would be a sensible workaround?

20. eyecon82

Would it last leave off where you stopped reading when restarting your tab?

21. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Member

I convert most of my documents to PDF and read them using ezPDF Reader on my tablet. When I open the document it goes back to exactly where I left off at every single time.

22. NeoTechni

NeoTechni Newbie

was this issue ever solved? My 7 inch galaxy tab does that same stupid thing. And if I was using a PC to charge it, and the PC turns off (ie: cause my downloads finish) the stupid thing's screen wont turn off then will drain itself down to 20% by morning!

23. GirlFriday

GirlFriday Member

Tablets aren't ready for 600+ page documents? Really? If that were true there wouldn't be Kindle, Nook, and Adobe Reader apps for them-all of which work great.

24. Thorsten

Thorsten Android Enthusiast

I think the problem here is 600-page Word documents. Using Word for such huge documents is a terrible idea even on the desktop.

600-page PDFs or (other) ebooks present no problem for this or other decent tablets.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews