1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to prevent OTA update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ehrichweiss, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ehrichweiss

ehrichweiss Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    A week ago I accidentally took an OTA firmware update on my rooted Kyocera Milano which then seems to have bricked it. I just got a replacement but don't want to root it and then find myself in the same situation. Is there a way to prevent these updates? I know on some phones you can freeze certain apps and that will prevent them but I can't find any information on what that app might be for the Milano.

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Stigy

Stigy Some say...
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Male
    The only way I know of doing so is modifying build.prop, but I believe you have to keep doing it for new updates.

The best way to do so is to load a Custom ROM in which the ROM developer usually modifies or disables the OTAKeys file in order to prevent OTA updates overwriting their custom ROM.

Hope that helps!

3. ehrichweiss

ehrichweiss Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    Are there any custom roms for the Milano that you're aware of? I searched and couldn't find anything by Clockworkmod or the like but I'm kinda a n00b when it comes to this stuff so I could be missing a vital source and never know it.

4. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    No there aren't any custom roms for the Milano as of yet because clockwork mod recovery is required to flash custom roms and since the Milano doesn't have CWM we won't see any custom roms until it does...