1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to properly disconnect Incredible from PC?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brigand, Dec 18, 2010.

1. brigand

brigand Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    I'm wondering what's the safest way to disconnect the Incredible from my PC when it's connected as a disk drive. I've heard about SD cards getting corrupted if not removed properly. When I'm ready to disconnect it, should I change the USB connection to "charge only" on the phone? Should I go into Menu>Settings>Storage and "unmount" the SD card? Should I use the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility in Windows? All 3 of these things?

Advertisement

2. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    California
    I pull down the notification bar on the Incredible and choose "Charge only". Then I wait until it finishes with "Preparing SD Card". After that, the computer doesn't see the SD card anymore so I just unplug. Been doing that since back when I had the Eris, and I'm still using the same microSD card. No issues at all.

brigand likes this.
  3. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    Student / Systems Analysis Assistant
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've never done either of those things, and I haven't had a problem. Make sure that the device is optimized for quick removal in windows (Right click device in Computer, Hardware Tab, for each "HTC Android Phone USB Device", select it, hit properties, policies tab, choose "Quick Removal"), and make sure you're not accessing the device (reading or writing) when you unplug it, and you should be fine.

wayrad and brigand like this.
  4. jaymf

jaymf Well-Known Member
    None

May 13, 2010
    This is how I've been removing the phone as well. I did have the phone freeze on me and reboot itself once while doing it this way recently (no damage to the SD's data as far as I can tell), so I'm wondering if that switch to charge-only method would be better.

5. incredible x4

incredible x4 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    The proper way, if you are using a PC running Windows, is to look in the system tray in the lower right corner of the screen. In the system tray you should see a icon that looks like a USB plug with a little green check on it. Click this Icon. A menu should come up. On this menu there should be something like "Android Device" or "Android Phone" Click that. This will safely remove the phone from the computer, internal storage and SD card will be removed safely. Once you unplug the USB cable from either the phone or computer, the phone will prepair the memory and everything will be back to normal.

Using this method is the correct method to remove any kind of external USB device from a computer and should be used anytime you have to remove any kind of USB device.

6. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    Student / Systems Analysis Assistant
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This is incorrect for devices you've specified to have a Quick Removal removal policy. As windows states:

7. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Pro Desk Driver
    Myrtle Beach SC
    I use Auto Mount.

8. boomobile

boomobile Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    so...if you have your portfolio on a thumb drive, and you have the device set to "Quick Removal" you would risk loosing the only copy you have of your entire life by jerking that baby out?!

Not happening! Windows is not MAC, don't fully rely on this "Quick Removal" that they provide, I've been burned before. Properly unmount the SD disk from your phone's interface.

9. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Exactly what I do. Easy and safe.