1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to properly save apps before flashing another custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Slo912, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Slo912

Slo912 Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    A question that has gone in head round and round the last few days.I have a Samsung Captivate.
    I have flashed different ROM's over the last couple of weeks, however, I am a little lost on the correct way that actually works in what is the right thing to do before flashing another ROM in order to properly save your apps so you can restore all your apps on the next ROM you flash.
    Otherwise, I have icons on my desktop that do not work when launched, then I get confused.
    Please help. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Timberline

Timberline Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Rocky Mountains
    search for "Titanium Backup"

3. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    First, welcome!

Backup - CapFAQ

When restoring to a device with a custom ROM, make sure that you DON'T restore settings, just apps and data.

4. Trinhbo

Trinhbo Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Lowell, MA
    If you are using a custom launcher like LauncherPro, you can use their preferences to create a backup of the LaucherPro home screens.

Use "Titanium Backup" to perform a batch backup of apps and data. This will store the backup on your internal SD card in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/. I sometimes mount this directory and copy the backup to my home PC as an additional backup.

After you flash your new ROM, launch Titanium Backup to perform a batch restore of your apps and data. As Jack45 mentioned, don't restore system settings.

At this point, if you have a backup of your launcher you may restore it. If you restored the launcher backup before restoring your app backups with Titanium, your home screens will have a bunch of generic icons because it can't find the apps on your phone.

Hope that helps.

5. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    A couple of tips. Get and use a microSD for backups. If the device goes on the fritz, at least the backup is safe. Plus, if you need to exchange your phone the backup is, again, safe and "portable."

For Froyo, the Titanium destination for the external microSD card should be designated as:

external_sd/titaniumBackup

6. Irish_Shea

Irish_Shea Lurker
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Male
    Waterford, Ireland
    Handy this, I never knew I could backup me files.. live and learn ey ^^