• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to put apps on sd card??

i dont understand that, im new to the apps on the sd card

No offense to thomas above, but you want this instead...

Here's the link to Kouma's thread. You need to read this:

[Kernel][GB] KoumaKernel 2.2

The procedure I used for my phone to move all of /data to the SD card:

• BACK UP YOUR PHONE (e.g., using ClockWorkMod)
  • Formatted my SD card with GParted live CD to have a 2 GB ext4 partition.
  • Installed CTMod 3.3
  • Downloaded Root Explorer (since I already own a copy) to modify the file residing at /system/koumamod. This is a for-pay file explorer but you can find others that are free. Make sure this line: setprop koumakernelmount "SSM" has a hash # in front of it. Make sure this line: setprop koumakernelmount "data" does not have a hash in front of it. Make sure you set the file system to read-write in the file browser, modify the file, then set it back to read-only.
  • Reboot.
  • Check your storage in Settings.
  • Frighten your wife with your involuntary Daffy Duck impression.

After I calmed down, I used GParted to repartition the ext4 partition to be 3 GB JUST BECAUSE

Behold, a dark miracle...

2whq98i.png

Reactions: haris163
Upvote 0
No offense to thomas above, but you want this instead...

Here's the link to Kouma's thread. You need to read this:

[Kernel][GB] KoumaKernel 2.2

The procedure I used for my phone to move all of /data to the SD card:

• BACK UP YOUR PHONE (e.g., using ClockWorkMod)
  • Formatted my SD card with GParted live CD to have a 2 GB ext4 partition.
  • Installed CTMod 3.3
  • Downloaded Root Explorer (since I already own a copy) to modify the file residing at /system/koumamod. This is a for-pay file explorer but you can find others that are free. Make sure this line: setprop koumakernelmount "SSM" has a hash # in front of it. Make sure this line: setprop koumakernelmount "data" does not have a hash in front of it. Make sure you set the file system to read-write in the file browser, modify the file, then set it back to read-only.
  • Reboot.
  • Check your storage in Settings.
  • Frighten your wife with your involuntary Daffy Duck impression.

After I calmed down, I used GParted to repartition the ext4 partition to be 3 GB JUST BECAUSE

Behold, a dark miracle...

Nice instructions. But there is a script called sdparted that can be used by connecting to the phone with ADB while it's booted into CWM recovery that lets you partition and unpartition the sdcard too (though it is always destructive). I add this info because ADB is a quicker download than a liveCD :)

Upvote 0
...there is a script called sdparted that can be used...

Yep. But I wanted to keep my fat partition intact, I just got a sexy 19-in-1 card reader that I wanted to test and I had the live CD within reach so I took the path of least resistance (for me).

Thanks again, Kouma. You really do make dreams come true (any suggestions for lottery numbers? PM me with these so I don't have to split my winnings).

Upvote 0
i got adb on my comp!!!!

do i just type this in adb, when in recovery?? and which part of recovery do i need to be in??
#!/bin/bash #setprop koumakernelmount "data" #Uncomment to mount sd-ext as /data #setprop koumakernelmount "SSM" #Uncomment to mount sd-ext partitions in the SSM configuration, Comment before enabling /data

Upvote 0
i got adb on my comp!!!!

do i just type this in adb, when in recovery?? and which part of recovery do i need to be in??
#!/bin/bash #setprop koumakernelmount "data" #Uncomment to mount sd-ext as /data #setprop koumakernelmount "SSM" #Uncomment to mount sd-ext partitions in the SSM configuration, Comment before enabling /data

No, do not type that into recovery. that's for after you have set up the partition.

1) Boot into Recovery
2) ADB shell into the phone
3) Run "sdparted -i"
4) Pick a size for a swap partition (CWM doesn't give you many size options, most are probably too small)
5) Pick a size for your EXT partition. Let the fat partiton have the rest.

Do that part in recovery

Upvote 0
Caeadas is correct. Be sure to go to the first post int eh KoumaKernel Thread Here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...kernel-gb-koumakernel-2-2-overclock-test.html

and get the formatting utility for the sd-ext so that it makes the partitions ext4

Edit: Here, so you don't have to hunt too hard for it:

Super Secret Mod In order to activate the Super Secret Mod (moves /data/dalvik-cache to SD), you do the following (I will not answer questions regarding this, it is for the Advanced user and if you can't figure it out, you're not an advanced user, and seriously, if you can't work ADB and run a CWM zip, you probably shouldn't be modding your phone anyways. Just sayin):
1) Boot into Recovery
2) ADB shell into the phone
3) Run "sdparted -i"
4) Pick a size for a swap partition (CWM doesn't give you many size options, most are probably too small)
5) Pick a size for your EXT partition. Let the fat partiton have the rest.
6) When sdparted completes, manually convert the swap partition to ext4 by using the following:
SD Ext Partition Formatter for CWM

* Suggestions *: Pick the same size for both your ext and your swap partitions, they seem to fill up at about the same rate. For me, I picked 1987, because it is exactly 1/4th of my SDcard so I have swap = 1987, ext = 1987 and vfat = 3974. Total = 7948 (8gig sdcard)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones