• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to put in Message Storage Mode?

umm, well first of all, you might wanna look into what mass is actually short for kuz thats not it lol. but as far as mass storage mode, we havent even figured out how to make it work in mass storage in cyanogenmod, still stuck with stupid media transfer protocol (MTP). you can use mass storage through clockworkmod, but from stock software its just not possible unfortunately, i think its a kernel thing, not really sure havent dug into it all that deep myself and thats basically just a guess
so basically, you cant do mass storage mode without being booted into clockworkmod recovery, and you dont get the option because its not an option

Reactions: Bizzy1
Upvote 0
not a problem. ill try and look into enabling mass storage sometime soon, did some kernel exploring earlier but turned up nothing on the subject, all i ended up learning is the camera models we use, ill keep looking though, maybe if i can manage to buckle down and concentrate ill figure it out but i make no promises. far too many shiny objects in my immediate vicinity to say for certain

Upvote 0
ok so after some digging, i think i may have found the issue, but i cant build myself and i cant honestly say i know what im looking at. my theory is they modified the mass storage function to accommodate that stupid software installer mode of theirs, looking at the kernel source, if you go to /drivers/usb/gadget/android.c and down to around line 1161, youll find a custom modified usb mass storage initialization setup. it may need to be modified, or maybe i just have no clue what im talking about, but if anyone who knows better than me could take a peek and tell me if im crazy or not that would be great XD

Upvote 0
i have no idea what youre talking about, my phone has been reset hundreds of times, i get MTP mode, Media Transfer Protocol, that is completely different than mass storage. both cm10 and stock are lacking mass storage completely

I agree. I've used stock B07/9 and CM10. None have the ability to mount the SD card as mass storage. The only workaround I have found is Clockwork Mod's mount feature. I find that my phone always mounts as an "installer", however nothing ever mounts in both Ubuntu (12.04) and Windows 7.

Its a bit tedious and cumbersome, but it always works.

Upvote 0
I was asking this question because I deleted some pics on my phone internal memory and heard about certain programs that worked for others..When I download the program I realized that the phone would need to placed in mass storage mode...and couldn't find the option..

Could anyone help me with advice on how to retrieve the deleted pics or would they be gone for good?

I haven't been taking any photos because I know sometimes they can be retrieve because it just tells the memory that this spot is free and ready to be overwritten...

Upvote 0
ok, first of all, if you dont know what youre talking about, please stop answering questions... no offense but youre going to make things worse, resetting the phone wont solve anything, mass storage mode does not work on this phone, if someone can find a way to enable it thats great but as of yet no one has a way on stock or cm, only shinrus aokp has it, but it would mount the sd card not the internal if im not mistaken. and also, its not just pictures that will fill that space, anything you download or create on your phone that goes to internal risks overwriting it, there isnt different memory for videos and apps and all that stuff, it all goes to the same place so anything you have done on the phone since then may have already taken over that spot, but at the same time unless you can find a way to mount usb mass storage mode on your own you may very well still be screwed, or find a program for the phone that can recover things like that, but at the same time, that will install stuff to the internal memory, which will overwrite the pictures little by little and maybe completely. i guess what im saying here is you probably wont ever see those pictures again, and from now on you should just try to be more careful if you really dont want to lose them, there are possibilities but they are all slim ones

Upvote 0
no, it was not directed at you, sorry, im just not trying to get yelled at for singling people out, that would be considered attacking someone and would get me in trouble on the forum
it was meant for someone who obviously didnt read what everyone had to say and gave bad advice not only here but other places as well, completely disregarding anything anyone else had to say on the matter, and putting peoples phones
by all means i encourage suggestions, but its best to make it known that they are just that, not an exact instruction set just something to try, but my main problem was that they obviously werent reading anything they were posting on very carefully and not reading anything anyone else had to say on the subject either

obviously their post is gone now tho, so we shouldnt have anything to worry about

but yea youre all good, im just trying to protect you guys from the type of people who think their sh*t dont stink, i know what im talking about most of the time, but i can rip one thatll make me want to leave the room. and im sure youve heard stories about how people brick their phones, imagine if those people suggested whatever they did to everyone. there would be alot of dead sequents

Upvote 0
in fact, it would seem all their posts are gone, theres a good chance they did mess up someones phone with their advice, either that or i aggrivated them with what i said and they posted something hateful, which if thats the case could someone pm me the gist of it kuz id love to see it lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones