1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to quick edit or delete all contacts

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    I have a LG G3 5.0.1. I did not put contacts into my phone, they must have been downloaded from Google when I signed into my gmail account. Some how every entry has a duplicate. I don't know how I did that. It takes too long to delete them one at a time on my phone. Is there a way to either quick edit via my laptop or just delete them all. AT&T keeps wanting me to sign into my contacts there but I don't have AT&T, I have a sub carrier and no data service.
    thanks
    Lee

Advertisement

2. Vijay_S

Vijay_S Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    If you sign into your google account on the PC is there any duplicates?

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Sounds like you might have multiple sources set up in your Contacts app? Assuming you just want your Google account as your primary contacts source, in your G3's Contacts app, go into its menu, select 'Accounts' and tap on tap on whichever items are there to uncheck all of them (i.e. 'your gmail' , texting app, FB, etc.)
    Now go to your laptop, log into your Gmail account and check over your contacts list. Clean up anything you need to. Now in your G3 start up your Contacts app again, go back the menu, select 'Accounts' and your gmail address account should still be there so select it and check the box so it re-syncs with your online account.

4. Leea9

Leea9 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    There are no duplicates in my Google account.

5. Leea9

Leea9 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Sorry for 2 messages.
    I am trying to follow your suggestion and in contacts I don't have an Accounts option. I have Manage Contacts which doesn't do it. My complete menu list is; Delete, Share, Send message, Send email, Speed dial, Manage contacts, Edit tabs, and Settings. I have drilled into those and can not find anything useful.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Try going into your G3's Settings >> Accounts and there should be a list of the various online services you have set up on your phone, go through each and disable any 'Sync Contacts' leaving only your Gmail account as the default.

7. Leea9

Leea9 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    That only confuses me more. Google sync was turned off. Facebook doesn't seem to have a sync option but GoPro did so I removed that one even though I am sure it has no contacts. I still have no idea how the contacts got into my phone twice. I am in the process of creating an ATT account to see if I can edit them there to clean them up.

8. Leea9

Leea9 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hmm, I can't use AT&T contact sync. My phone won't log into my account. I assume this is because I don't have data (I am using WiFi) or I buy from a AT&T reseller.

9. Lloydaku

Lloydaku Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hey Leea9, Svim is right by going into your account setting you can uncheck or side swipe all the account that have a sync setup on to your device. However, please make a note that you want to make sure that all of the sync data is turned off, and than you may go into Contacts Hold down on a contact and a little check box should appear to the left, check all the boxed, unless you have a check ALL box at the top. in that case hit Check all and than delete all. Once done you may go back into your account settings and re-enable the sync account you wish. "If you fail to disable a sync prior to deleting all of contacts you will also delete the contacts assigned to that account."

From there you should only have the account/contacts you wish to have synced.

Side note: There is a Facebook sync if you are not finding it in the account settings you can find it in the Facebook Account settings.

Lloyd

10. Leea9

Leea9 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    If I hold down on a contact I don't get the little check box you mention, I get a list; edit, delete, set speed dial, forward, edit number before call, and add to home screen. I don't want to edit them one at a time, that takes too long for hundreds of contacts. I want to mass edit on my laptop.
    Lee