• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to quickly add a contact?

robo555

Aug 1, 2010
Quite often we meet a new person, and we want to get each other's phone number. Back when I had my old non-smartphone it was easy, I enter the number press a button and there's an option to save it as new contact, I don't even need to enter a name till later.

I have a HTC Desire running Android 2.2, what' sthe best way to quickly record a phone number?

I always found it frustrating when someone asks for my number, I begin to say it then they go "wait wait hang on", while they fiddle with the menus to add a new contact. Now it seems I'm on the same boat!

Yeah this was always one of my gripes about the Android system in general. It would take 3-4 different menus and pages just to dial or add a number. The quickest way I have found is to have a have a dedicated contacts shortcut on my one of my main pages. You can then go to menu and then add contacts. Still a couple more steps that most people would like, a little better.

Upvote 0
Quite often we meet a new person, and we want to get each other's phone number. Back when I had my old non-smartphone it was easy, I enter the number press a button and there's an option to save it as new contact, I don't even need to enter a name till later.

I have a HTC Desire running Android 2.2, what' sthe best way to quickly record a phone number?

I always found it frustrating when someone asks for my number, I begin to say it then they go "wait wait hang on", while they fiddle with the menus to add a new contact. Now it seems I'm on the same boat!

Are you using the default Sense interface? If so. It's quite easy to add a new number.

1. Press the 'Phone' button at the bottom.
2. Type in the number
3. 'Save to contacts' will show up if the number is not in your phone.
4. The rest is self-explanary

Reactions: robo555
Upvote 0
I think if you have previously filled in your contact information as a contact card in your contacts file, you can send the contact card via mms message (means asking for phone number). Once the other person receives it, they can add the contact card to their contacts and they can reply to you with their own contact card.

Still not a one or two button press, but saves you from entering in all the other address information...

Upvote 0
Are you using the default Sense interface? If so. It's quite easy to add a new number.

1. Press the 'Phone' button at the bottom.
2. Type in the number
3. 'Save to contacts' will show up if the number is not in your phone.
4. The rest is self-explanary

Oh thanks, I see it, I was playing with the phone, and it wasn't showing that option. Turns out I needed to enter more than 7 digits for that option to appear.

This method, or miscalling the number to add to Call History would handle the situation quite nicely. Glad to see Android has this built in by default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones