• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Record Calls Using a Headset AND an App OR Hardware?

Hi I'm not sure which forum to post this thin, but I do have a Moto G5 Plus phone. I need to record long phone calls, then transcribe some or all of it later. I haven't been able to find an App that will work with a Bluetooth headset. I've tried several and I can get EITHER what I am saying to record or the other parties conversation, but not both during the same call even with trying multiple settings, unfortunately :( But if anyone has another App suggestion, I'm willing to try it. It also, must be able to record BOTH incoming and outgoing calls Without an annoying tone or "Google Voice is Now Recording," or whatever because that has already been pre disclosed and it gets my employers annoyed when it's done repetitively.

So I thought if I could somehow make my Moto G5 Plus with my Sony Digital Voice's Recorder's Line in AND a wired 3.mm and USB headset like this https://www.amazon.com/Vtin-Microphone-Headphone-Cancelling-Hands-Free/dp/B075ZMFBW8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515432337&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=stereo+microphone+headset+for+cell+phone&refinements=p_72:1248879011&psc=1 from Amazon, which I'm guessing might need another piece of hardware because the calls can't be on speakerphone. Hopefully, it's not a over $30 piece of hardware because the pay for this part time gig is pathetic. Lol

I know that this must be possible, but how?

Also, if you want to suggest a better headset, that's great. Obviously, if it's Bluetooth and going to get the job done I'm willing to pay more for it because I would also use it for my personal music playing needs. (up to $99) But I can't wear anything that's earbuds or just 1 ear. It must be stereo and on or around the ear.

Thanks so much! :D

Other details if you want to read: I can't use speakerphone during these conference calls because no one can hear me. However, during most calls, I'm not supposed to say much other than that I'm listening, recording and still connected. Sometimes I can be on hold listening to elevator music for up 1 hour long stretches. High quality recordings aren't crucial, but when I playback the recordings I have to be able to understand which person in the conference call is speaking in order to get the transcription correct. Plus, even though I also have to take notes with a pen and paper during the call, and I have a lot of down down on hold, I have to be able to walk around a bit or multi-task because I'm only getting paid per job, not for my time. So, not having to carry a lot of equipment, plus the paperwork, pen, paper, ect., while I'm waiting on hold, would be great.

Last edited:
What you are asking is nearly impossible, wirelessly... You could however just get a splitter and plug it into the headphone jack, send one side to a recording device (computer/digital recorder/whatever) and the other to a wired headset, archaic but it will work, although it might require some jury rigging and it will surely be less than optimal for mobility. Modern Android devices do not have the ability to natively record calls anymore... Whooohooo to privacy laws and people/companies getting sued to take away useful features!

I guess I don't know what kind of work you do, but I work as a technician and systems engineer for commercial premise and hosted VoIP services... basically I install and maintain phone systems and networks for commercial, industrial, medical, call centers, and other large scale operations, this is not really important except to qualify my thoughts here. I work with scenarios like this daily.

How are these calls getting to you? You say that the fact the calls are being recorded is "pre disclosed" so are callers getting a message prior to being "transferred" to you or are they calling you directly?

Here are some thoughts I have on this...

1) If the calls are coming through a system/service to issue a recorded announcement prior to you receiving the call, why is that system not recording your call since it is anchored there? In most commercial applications a direct number, auto attendant, or other device usually answers and plays a recording and then transfers the call to your device, directly or via twinning/Anywhere/Dynamic Extension, and you proceed with the call. In this scenario the call is "anchored" at the system that transferred the call to you and the recording should be done on that platform, for security, privacy, and PCI compliance.

2) If people are calling you directly for business needs and this call is not being processed by your employer's service, then in almost every country or state you legally must have an announcement or tone to notify the callers they are being recorded (this is in contrast to PERSONAL calls, which you generally do not need to inform the other person they are being recorded). You should definitely use something like Google Voice or a number hosting service like Ring Central, who can route and record calls for such purposes (I am not endorsing or a seller of any service, just examples).

Upvote 0
Thanks so much acejavelin , your reply was awesome! Can you continue with what you were saying:

You could however just get a splitter and plug it into the headphone jack, send one side to a recording device (computer/digital recorder/whatever) and the other to a wired headset, archaic but it will work, although it might require some jury rigging and it will surely be less than optimal for mobility. Modern Android devices do not have the ability to natively record calls anymore...
That's what I want, no I Need To Do! How can I do it with a headset that has 1-3mm plug for Both the Headphones & the Mic to go into the cell phone such as this amazon item: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788GX5XF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
if I want to then some how connect it to a digital voice recorder, which does have BOTH a 3mm Mic jack AND a 3mm headphone jack(but I'm not sure if I need to use that right?) I know it will be a pain to carry around, but so is a binder and a pen. So I realize that this will be my best-and cheapest option. Could you please advise me on what I'm supposed to buy exactly to make this wired connection work so that my voice will get recorded on the calls I do have to speak? I'm hoping something like this headset will work, but I have no idea what kind of wire to plug into the digital voice recorder and to which jacks!

Thanks, so much! In case your wondering, I have 1 gig transcribing the summary of a few conference calls a month that I'm brought into in progress and I have another part time gig being a sort of Customer Service Telephone Mystery Shopper who evaluates customer service reps. However, due to a learning disability my typing skills are awful and usually I end up dictating everything even if I have to wear a separate set of headphones playing a recording, but now that I have to do these calls from my cell, I'm Lost!

Thanks again. I eagerly await your reply.

Upvote 0
What you are asking is nearly impossible, wirelessly... You could however just get a splitter and plug it into the headphone jack, send one side to a recording device (computer/digital recorder/whatever) and the other to a wired headset, archaic but it will work, although it might require some jury rigging and it will surely be less than optimal for mobility. Modern Android devices do not have the ability to natively record calls anymore... Whooohooo to privacy laws and people/companies getting sued to take away useful features!

FWIW my Oppo R9 Plus can record calls as a standard feature, even when using a Bluetooth or wired headset, as could the Samsung Note7 I had briefly last year. But of course phone manufacturers must deal with whatever telecommunication approvals and privacy laws for various countries, and spec their phones accordingly e.g. the US version Moto G5 Plus.

Upvote 0
FWIW my Oppo R9 Plus can record calls as a standard feature, even when using a Bluetooth or wired headset, as could the Samsung Note7 I had briefly last year. But of course phone manufacturers must deal with whatever telecommunication approvals and privacy laws for various countries, and spec their phones accordingly e.g. the US version Moto G5 Plus.

I tried 1 app that claimed Bluetooth call recording was sometimes possible IF you could find the right combinations of settings in the app and there were many different options. But I could only get EITHER my voice to record OR the other party & usually I wasn't able to understand what was being said. I doubt it's possible without a very expensive phone and/or headset.
Unfortunately, I now realize that you're not referring to an app or I'd give it a try.

Upvote 0
You need one of these: https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5059

and then a headset like this: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wave-Corded-3-5mm-Headset/dp/B004UYPN18

As far as how to connect to your recorder, you will likely need to make/purchase a specialized cable for this connection if it doesn't support 4 conductor TRRS 3.5mm plug directly... You will need to make a special cable with an interface to merge the mic and audio to a single conductor for the recorder, with will have to be some kind of isolated interface. Something a bit out of my realm of expertise, but likely something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rode-SC3-3-5mm-TRRS-Adaptor/dp/B00L6C8PNU then connect it to your recorder.

Going to be a bit of a mess... phone to Y-Cable, side one to headset, side two to TRRS-TRS adapter to cable to recorder. Not the most portable but in theory it will work.

As far as your USB headset, pretty sure that isn't an option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones