• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to record HD video on your phone?

cyaiphone

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
so the evo has HD video capabilities but how do you record such videos? In other words do you just go to camcorder and record and you record in HD or do you need some kind of program or need to do something to get actual hd quality. Thanks in advanced.

what about encoding type?
h.263
h.264
mpeg4

what are these and which do i select?

H.264 is far superior but it's new and right now is only supported in 480p formats. The older MPEG4 format is your 720p option.

Try it both ways - right now, I'm preferring H.264/480 over MPEG4/720.

H.263 is actually a _simple_ videoconferencing codec, but it's included if you want to take more memory-efficient recordings at the expense of quality.

These are all shorthand names for video compression schemes (_ALL_ digital video is compressed, by definition).

MPEG is a standards body - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Picture_Experts_Group

MPEG4 is really MPEG4 Part 2, while H.264 is essentially MPEG4 Part 10 - it's a motion optimized scheme - and __likely__ to play on a wider range of devices and PCs without adding software or performing conversions.

Upvote 0
H.264 is far superior but it's new and right now is only supported in 480p formats. The older MPEG4 format is your 720p option.

Try it both ways - right now, I'm preferring H.264/480 over MPEG4/720.

H.263 is actually a _simple_ videoconferencing codec, but it's included if you want to take more memory-efficient recordings at the expense of quality.

These are all shorthand names for video compression schemes (_ALL_ digital video is compressed, by definition).

MPEG is a standards body - Moving Picture Experts Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MPEG4 is really MPEG4 Part 2, while H.264 is essentially MPEG4 Part 10 - it's a motion optimized scheme - and __likely__ to play on a wider range of devices and PCs without adding software or performing conversions.

Ok so 264 is supposed to be the highest quality you can record but you actually prefer the mpeg4? Is there is a reason for this? Also is there a way to send this HD videos to someone or to email or are the files gong to be too big?

Upvote 0
Ok so 264 is supposed to be the highest quality you can record but you actually prefer the mpeg4? Is there is a reason for this?

h264 is the preferred codec for hd video, it compresses very high quality with low file size. BUT, the evo's software wont let you record 720p with h264. You can only record 720p in mpeg4. You can record 800x480 with h264, and since the 720p mpeg4 is so compressed, the two look about the same.

Also is there a way to send this HD videos to someone or to email or are the files gong to be too big?

Depends on how long they are. You can always use wifi to upload them.

Upvote 0
h264 is the preferred codec for hd video, it compresses very high quality with low file size. BUT, the evo's software wont let you record 720p with h264. You can only record 720p in mpeg4. You can record 800x480 with h264, and since the 720p mpeg4 is so compressed, the two look about the same.

If you don't mind how exactly do you upload via wifi?

Upvote 0
I'm finding that recording in 720p causes more 1-2 second freezing and a jittery video. The h264 is much smoother but obviously that's because of the lower resolution.

I'm using stock 2.2 and the SD card that came with the phone, so I don't understand how they can claim full 720p recording capabilities. I don't think it's the card's write speed or something I've installed that's causing the freezing.

Upvote 0

the only way i have found to share large hi quality videos with anyone is to upload them to a site that hosts them. FB, Youtube, or Qik come to mind. that takes a long time from the phone, and so it rapes your battery. doing it while charging over 4G or Wifi isn't a bad solution. But I usually just wait, move them to my PC and transfer them wherever I need from there.

*edit, quoted the wrong post... sheesh

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones