• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to recover my imei ?

walidabou

Mar 2, 2019
Hello every one. My htc one m8 has lost its imei and it doesn't recognize the sim card, and some error messages appear like "people doesn't respond ".

Info about my phone:
Android 5.0.1
HTC Sense version: 6.0
Software number: 4.19.161.3
CID: VODAPE17 VODA-Netherland

getvar info

INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.25.214500021.06G
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 4.19.161.3
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
INFOserialno: SH4XXXXXXX (not shown for security reasons)
INFOimei: 357XXXXXXXXX (not shown for security reasons)
INFOimei2: Not Support
INFOmeid: 00000000000000
INFOproduct: m8_ul
INFOplatform: hTCBmsm8974
INFOmodelid: 0P6B10000
INFOcidnum: VODAPE17
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 0mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 255f41e7
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.016s

My phone is not rooted.
I didn't hard reset my phone yet and I hope I'll find a solution.

Last edited:
So what did you do, or what happened to the phone, before the IMEI disappeared (which I assume means you can no longer see it in Settings > About)?

If you weren't trying to mod it or flash it with anything I suspect Mike is right about it being a hardware fault (which could include an important part of the storage failing), because the only way I've ever heard of the IMEI going missing on one of these phones has been when someone has attempted to flash the phone radio firmware and got it wrong. I can't think of anything to try other than a factory reset or finding a compatible RUU and trying to reflash it (which will reset the phone in the process, so you may as well try that first in case). But I can't say I'm confident.

Upvote 0
So what did you do, or what happened to the phone, before the IMEI disappeared (which I assume means you can no longer see it in Settings > About)?

If you weren't trying to mod it or flash it with anything I suspect Mike is right about it being a hardware fault (which could include an important part of the storage failing), because the only way I've ever heard of the IMEI going missing on one of these phones has been when someone has attempted to flash the phone radio firmware and got it wrong. I can't think of anything to try other than a factory reset or finding a compatible RUU and trying to reflash it (which will reset the phone in the process, so you may as well try that first in case). But I can't say I'm confident.

Thank you for your reply.
I didn't do anything in my phone, only when I woke up I found this problem and some error messages appear like "htc blinkfeed has stopped" and "people has stopped".
Another problem is when I try to restart my phone it hangs on the first logo screen and then just a black screen till I press power and volum up buttons. and this problem was happening in the past and i solved it by reseting my phone.

Upvote 0
Please post
Your HTC getvar all details for better replay

INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.25.214500021.06G
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 4.19.161.3
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
INFOserialno: SH4XXXXXXX (not shown for security reasons)
INFOimei: 357XXXXXXXXX (not shown for security reasons)
INFOimei2: Not Support
INFOmeid: 00000000000000
INFOproduct: m8_ul
INFOplatform: hTCBmsm8974
INFOmodelid: 0P6B10000
INFOcidnum: VODAPE17
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 0mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 255f41e7
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.016s

If there is an appropriate stock rom or something similar I will be grateful to you.
Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the risk of stating the obvious, your IMEI is visible in that listing (better to edit it out of your posts by the way). So the problem wasn't that the IMEI had been deleted from the system but some other software fault.

I assume from what you've posted that resetting isn't fixing it this time. The most recent stock image for a European m8 I've been able to find is https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/ruu-htc-m8-europe-t3362038. Do you know how to flash an image like this? You can do it using fastboot in ruumode (I can find instructions if needed) or as described in post #10 of that thread (I personally prefer the fastboot method, as I'm in control and might be able to do something if anything goes wrong, but used the SD method often with my old Desire. Just make sure the phone is properly charged first either way).

Upvote 0
At the risk of stating the obvious, your IMEI is visible in that listing (better to edit it out of your posts by the way). So the problem wasn't that the IMEI had been deleted from the system but some other software fault.

I assume from what you've posted that resetting isn't fixing it this time. The most recent stock image for a European m8 I've been able to find is https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/ruu-htc-m8-europe-t3362038. Do you know how to flash an image like this? You can do it using fastboot in ruumode (I can find instructions if needed) or as described in post #10 of that thread (I personally prefer the fastboot method, as I'm in control and might be able to do something if anything goes wrong, but used the SD method often with my old Desire. Just make sure the phone is properly charged first either way).

Thank you for reply

I think I can flash with RUU.exe direct from my computer but with and zip file I have no much experience.*
I downloaded (RUU_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_Vodafone_UK_4.19.161.2_Radio_1.25.214500021.06G_20.68.4196t.01_F_release_417184_signed.exe)
and (0P6BIMG_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_4.16.401.10_Radio_1.25.214500021.06G_20.68.4196t.01_F_release_417809_signed.zip) from androidfilehost.com
But I think they both are damaged.
Can you guide me please ?

Upvote 0
Why do you think they are damaged?

More likely the problem is that you have a Vodafone model and so need a Vodafone (Netherlands) RUU. I've not come across one of those before (carrier RUUs are harder to find) but will have a search...

damaged because RUU doesn't get executed on my computer and when I extract the zip file it tell me that the file is damaged.
Ok if the stock image will help solve the problem, this is ok. And if there is a Lillipop stock image will be better.
Can you tell me the steps to flash the stock image please.
thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You shouldn't extract the zip file, though the RUU .exe not running at all is a bad sign.

You can find instructions for flashing the firmware zip file here.

However, I am not optimistic about it working. I suggested that one because it was the European RUU I could find that was newer than your current software - because the others I found were older and the phone won't accept older firmware. However I'd overlooked the fact that you have a Vodafone handset. The problem is that the RUU has to be compatible with your cidnum, so it's most likely that it will refuse to flash it anyway. And I've not been able to find any M8 Vodafone RUUs (one OTA, but that's no use to you).

(There's no guarantee that an RUU would fix this, but it's the final resort for software problems. Won't help if the problem is hardware though).

Upvote 0
You shouldn't extract the zip file, though the RUU .exe not running at all is a bad sign.

You can find instructions for flashing the firmware zip file here.

However, I am not optimistic about it working. I suggested that one because it was the European RUU I could find that was newer than your current software - because the others I found were older and the phone won't accept older firmware. However I'd overlooked the fact that you have a Vodafone handset. The problem is that the RUU has to be compatible with your cidnum, so it's most likely that it will refuse to flash it anyway. And I've not been able to find any M8 Vodafone RUUs (one OTA, but that's no use to you).

(There's no guarantee that an RUU would fix this, but it's the final resort for software problems. Won't help if the problem is hardware though).

You're talking about RUU.exe isn't it ? But can I flash it with stock image by placing it on external card ?
there is also something called twrp backup. I want to know what is its job and what it does. And is it require the phone to be rooted ?

Upvote 0
It makes no difference whether we use the .exe or the .zip. Both are just different ways of flashing a RUU, and if you are S-ON the same cidnum checks will apply. The .exe is just a wrapper that performs the same fastboot commands that the user would otherwise do manually.

TWRP is a "custom recovery", i.e. a replacement for the standard recovery module. To install TWRP you need to unlock the bootloader then fastboot flash the recovery image. You may be able to unlock a phone that can't boot following the instructions at htcdev.com - it's been a few years since I looked at them. You'd then need to find a compatible TWRP image (the xda-developers M8 forum would be my starting place), then copy the backup to your SD card and use TWRP (recovery) to restore it. But it does avoid the crap of only carrier ROMs being allowed (because you are now using custom tools).

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
It makes no difference whether we use the .exe or the .zip. Both are just different ways of flashing a RUU, and if you are S-ON the same cidnum checks will apply. The .exe is just a wrapper that performs the same fastboot commands that the user would otherwise do manually.

TWRP is a "custom recovery", i.e. a replacement for the standard recovery module. To install TWRP you need to unlock the bootloader then fastboot flash the recovery image. You may be able to unlock a phone that can't boot following the instructions at htcdev.com - it's been a few years since I looked at them. You'd then need to find a compatible TWRP image (the xda-developers M8 forum would be my starting place), then copy the backup to your SD card and use TWRP (recovery) to restore it. But it does avoid the crap of only carrier ROMs being allowed (because you are now using custom tools).

Lo! I have unlocked the bootloader and install TWRP and restore this backup "M8_UL_TWRP_Nandroid_4.19.161.3.rar" which is the same version I had Before.
And now my phone is working and I don't receive any errors like "people has stopped" or "HTC sense has stopped". but the imei is not recovered.

I have a question that as TWRP is installed now, is it mean that my phone is now rooted ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I encounter a problem when trying to flash the stock rom that when the bootloader was locked it shows me "Customer ID error" even with one that you mentioned above. and when I unlocked the bootloader and trying to flash it again it shows me "Unkown error".

I read that if I want to flash a custom RUU I need "s-off". But I thinks that is not free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Installing TWRP is not the same as rooting, but it can be used to root a phone by flashing the package the roots it (or a pre-rooted custom ROM).

Customer ID error is what I was afraid of with it being a Vodafone handset. The thing to remember is that Vodafone are the customer, not you, so a non-Vodafone stock ROM will be rejected by the phone (if you are S-Off you can change that).

RUUs require the bootloader to be locked before you can flash them, so that's probably why you got the other error.

I have never owned an M8 so don't know about S-Off tools for it. You can flash custom ROMs without S-Off, but you won't be able to flash any RUU other than one with a matching cidnum unless you are s-off

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Installing TWRP is not the same as rooting, but it can be used to root a phone by flashing the package the roots it (or a pre-rooted custom ROM).

Customer ID error is what I was afraid of with it being a Vodafone handset. The thing to remember is that Vodafone are the customer, not you, so a non-Vodafone stock ROM will be rejected by the phone (if you are S-Off you can change that).

RUUs require the bootloader to be locked before you can flash them, so that's probably why you got the other error.

I have never owned an M8 so don't know about S-Off tools for it. You can flash custom ROMs without S-Off, but you won't be able to flash any RUU other than one with a matching cidnum unless you are s-off

Ok thank you very much for information. Just I have one question that my phone get OTA to version 6.12. Can this update solve the problem ?

Upvote 0
The actual RUU that I need is this "0P6BIMG_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_Vodafone_UK_4.19.161.3_Radio_1.25.214500021.06G_20.68.4196t.01_F_release_446197_signed"

or this "0P6BIMG_M8_UL_M60_SENSE70_MR_Vodafone_UK_6.12.161. 4_Radio_1.29.214500021.12G_20.72.4196t.01_F_releas e_460615_signed_2_4".

But unfortunately, the links are broken or you have to pay for it.
Is deliberate to not to provide the links for vodafone ?

Upvote 0
It's the other way round really. A few US carriers make their RUUs public (almost the only respect in which US carriers are the good guys), no others are officially made available. So any that you find have been leaked by someone, even the unbranded ones. And some carriers are good at controlling leaks (I've never seen an RUU for my carrier - one of the reasons I don't buy carrier-branded phones).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones