• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to recover space after unsuccessful moving apps to SD card using Root Explorer

D

Deleted User

I'm new to rooting. The apps didn't work after moving it to SD Card. I "temp root" my phone and moved all apps in "data" folder to SD Card using Root Explorer. Unfortunately, the phone restarted. I don't know what caused it. My intention was to simply try Root Explorer that's why I used "temp root" and not permanent root. Thus I wasn't able to "unroot" it. My understanding is that it'll go back to previous state because it was a "temp root". All the files were successfully moved to SD Card but then the shortcuts/links to the menu disappeared. The apps were still listed in "Manage Applications" without the correct icons. Using ES File Explorer, I clicked on an "appname.apk". This installed the app to phone's room and appended "2" on its filename like "appname2". I'm guessing that the system has a reference to the originally installed apk. I tried moving the rest of them but still the links to the menu and icons never came back. I re-installed some, removed the apk manually and uninstalled the other apps using app manager but it never somehow free up space. I wonder if I have to clear Davlik cache. I'm using Android 2.2 and I have some app already installed on my SD Card.

Hope you can help.

I dont get your question but from what I know
A)You moved all apps from /data to sdcard effectively destroying the link
Temp root is not virtual root .It is one day pass .:D.Whatever you do with virtual root is permanent.
Go to recovery mode and clear data partition.
If you ever want to move data to SD card .
Use dual partition SD card and use Link2SD app.:D

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Thank you for the explanation.
Those apps in /system/app/ can't be mved as well?

I dont get your question but from what I know
A)You moved all apps from /data to sdcard effectively destroying the link
Temp root is not virtual root .It is one day pass .:D.Whatever you do with virtual root is permanent.
Go to recovery mode and clear data partition.
If you ever want to move data to SD card .
Use dual partition SD card and use Link2SD app.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones