• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to reign in the facebook app?

jeffeulogy

Lurker
May 24, 2010
I'm using the generic facebook app from the market that comes pre-installed on some phones. I believe it's provided by facebook itself? Anyway, due to all the recent privacy policy changes I'd rather not give the app carte blanche to do whatever it wants on my phone.

I disabled the setting on my profile that let it login without permission. Now it pops up a notification every 10 minutes or so about how it can't authenticate. Is there a way to restrict the app itself to only run when i tell it to?

I've uninstalled it for now and I could easily live without it but if there's a way to use it without giving it unrestricted access to my phone and without the annoying notifications it would be nice.

Even if you set it up to only sync manually, it would still have full access at those times, so you wouldn't be changing anything.

I don't *think* Android offers selective permissions like BB does (very well could be wrong on this)

I would suggest just using the touch site on the browser. The App is a POS anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones