• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to remove CARBON ROM completely and replace with NEW ROM

landyman21

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
Hey everyone,
I'm creating this thread today to try and find some much needed help regarding my rooted HTC One m7 that currently has the custom ROM CARBON installed. I have a couple ways I know how to replace it with a new custom ROM it's just that I do not want to reap the repercussions that might come with doing them the way I know how. I'm not very familiar on how to backup your personal data and apps without knowing forsure that I didn't include some bits and pieces of my current ROM inside of the backup somewhere. As i would assume if that were to happen, it would most defiantly mess everything up when restoring it back onto the new custom ROM. If someone could shed some light for me on how to completely unistall my CARBON ROM while being able to save all personal data as well. Along with instructions on how to go about downloading and correctly installing a new ROM onto my m7 and restoring my personal data back onto the phone. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided. I will list my m7's information below. Thank you.
Current Versions:
-Android Version: 4.3
-Carbon Version: CARBON-JB-NIGHTLY-20130916-0659
-BUILD NUMBER: carbon_m7att-userdebug 4.3 JSS15Q eng.arrrghhh.20130916.065902 test-keys
-Kernel Version: 3.4. 10-cRtS-g32d1279
arrrghhh@nas #1
BASEBAND VERSION: 4T.20.3218.13_10.12.1718.01L

Yes, I have Titanium Backup which ive used. The biggest question to what i'm looking for is how to go about putting the new ROM onto my phone correctly along with how to delete or unistall the current ROM i have. I want to change roms totally, i dont want to just upgrade my Carbon Rom to the newest version of Carbon.

Upvote 0
I assume you have a custom recovery installed?? The basic process for installing a new ROM would be as follows:
1.) Use custom recovery to make a full image backup of your device in case anything goes wrong.
2.) Have the rom (and gapps package if necessary) on your device's internal storage or SD card if applicable.
3.) From recovery, wipe system, data, cache & dalvik cache partitions (DO NOT WIPE internal storage/SD card)
4.) Install the ROM followed by gapps (if gapps was needed for that ROM)
5.) Wipe cache and dalvik for good measure after flashing.
6.) Enjoy new ROM
7.) If apps were backed up with titanium backup, restore any you'd like. Avoid restoring system apps/data.

Also. Read the flashing instructions for your ROM. Just to be sure there are no special extra steps.

If anything happens to go wrong or your phone won't boot.... Use the image backup you made in step one. Basically go back into recovery and wipe all the same things from step 3 and the restore the backup you made.

This process is pretty much the same for flashing any phone. I know with HTC though, your boot loader version can be important dependent on which ROM you are flashing. Also your device may require s-off.

But assuming you meet all the requirements for the ROM you are flashing, the steps above should pretty much get you through a ROM flash.

Upvote 0
So when you say avoid restoring data, I probably shouldn't try to get all my texts messages and phonenumbers back and what not? The only reason I ask is because alot of my conversations within my sms are work related that I will need to keep. and hey man thank you alot for your reply i do appreciate it greatly.

Upvote 0
So when you say avoid restoring data, I probably shouldn't try to get all my texts messages and phonenumbers back and what not? The only reason I ask is because alot of my conversations within my sms are work related that I will need to keep. and hey man thank you alot for your reply i do appreciate it greatly.
Actually, if keeping SMS is important to you, I've found that titanium isn't the best for that. Try using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore for text messages. I've heard good things about it from many users. As for contacts, do you let google backup your contacts? If not, you should. Makes it super easy. New ROM? New phone? Once you sign in with your google account, contacts will all be there.

Also, it's always fine to restore user apps and user data with titanium. I just meant don't restore system apps and data from system apps. Tends to cause issues between Roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones