• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to remove extended menu tab on home screen?

LP560

Nov 14, 2009
hey just got the droid yesterday. so far so good. learning lots by reading on here.

i did a search and couldnt find the answer to this. im not a big fan of that little tab that opens up the extended menu with icons. i rather just use all 3 home screens for my icons and get rid of that tab. is there way to do this?

thanks

You may be interested in trying some of the home screen replacements. Most of them are very customizable and it is entirely possible to fill the screens with shortcuts and/or widgets, since the tab is not there. They may also have different grid sizes or app docks, allowing you to place more icons on them than the default home option does.

Some of the ones available:

OpenHome (Nice, but costs money and crashes a lot)
aHome (Haven't tried this one personally)
PandaHome (Also crashes a lot)
SweeterHome (In development, but very customizable)
GDE Home (My favorite so far, but has its own bar on the bottom)

Upvote 0
You may be interested in trying some of the home screen replacements. Most of them are very customizable and it is entirely possible to fill the screens with shortcuts and/or widgets, since the tab is not there. They may also have different grid sizes or app docks, allowing you to place more icons on them than the default home option does.

Some of the ones available:

OpenHome (Nice, but costs money and crashes a lot)
aHome (Haven't tried this one personally)
PandaHome (Also crashes a lot)
SweeterHome (In development, but very customizable)
GDE Home (My favorite so far, but has its own bar on the bottom)

thanks for the pointers- I tried panahome but even the latest beta seemed buggy and for some reason it seems to put a bunch of dots on top of the button. Hopefully inthe coming days or weeks the dev's catch up to the droid and we have some options.

Upvote 0
The more "home" screens you have and the more folders, widgets and apps you have on them will slow your phone down. It will also slow the time it takes for "home" tocome back up.

True. I use a replacement home screen but I'm still only using 3 desktops. I don't need any more, I just like the options and layouts better than the default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones