• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to remove unwanted apps...

Goomba79

Lurker
Aug 14, 2009
Hello,
I have a HTC Hero and new to all this android stuff!
i have this program i can see in the application managment bit
called AddProgramActivity i think its responsibly for putting annoying little ads at the bottom of the screen when certain apps run.
I also have an app called IM.
If i go into the manage aplication bit and expand each app there is no option to uninstall or remove!
how to i get rid of them????
thanks,
Iain

Hello,
I have a HTC Hero and new to all this android stuff!
i have this program i can see in the application managment bit
called AddProgramActivity i think its responsibly for putting annoying little ads at the bottom of the screen when certain apps run.
I also have an app called IM.
If i go into the manage aplication bit and expand each app there is no option to uninstall or remove!
how to i get rid of them????
thanks,
Iain

IM is and the other may be CORE apps to the OS ... and can only be deleted if you are rooted ... By using the SDK's ADB or terminal.

Wouldn't recommend messing with these ..

Upvote 0
what if someone was rooted how or where would they go about getting the sprint apps off then?

There is a menu driven program called Root Manager that will allow you to remove system apps from a rooted phone but it is too easy if you don't know what you are doing. You can be opening yourself up to a world of pain as some apps do more that you think and removing them can impact your system.

Upvote 0
it was more to be a real strong warning, I don't know how to do it myself, but as implied by others in the thread in:

"Wouldn't recommend messing with these .. "
"You can be opening yourself up to a world of pain"

no one wants to tell you specific steps to take do do it, because they don't want to be responsible for breaking your phone. If you get into something like this, it will be extremely easy to break it, and may even be impossible to fix. It may even happen if you do only what you are trying to do, if something like the phone's usb connection or boot sequence or something is related to the change you make, making it impossible to fix outside of the factory where they wrote the initial software to the chips.

For one thing, I'm looking at the name you gave: AddProgramActivity, it's not AdProgramActivity, that may have nothing to do with Ads at all, but be an essential system file.

Upvote 0
Don't do it. From the sound of things you'll almost certainly break something and will need to reflash or restore from backup.

But if you really want to break it, use the following commands.

adb shell remount
adb shell rm /system/app/appname.apk

And if you don't know how to go about using these commands then it's probably best that you leave those programs well enough alone.

Upvote 0
Code:
open cmd
cd\
cd /androidsdk/tools/
adb devices
adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 
# cd /system/app
# ls
After you type ls your programs will pop up and then do this..
Code:
# rm Stock.apk
# rm Stock.odex
Then pick whatever other applications you don't want on there and there you go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones