1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to rename a Folder in Gallery

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Just asking, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Just asking

Just asking Lurker

On my Galaxy S Blaze G4 there is an app where all the photos go that I take with the camera. It's called Gallery. It seems that there is no way to rename any of the folders in Gallery. They are created willy nilly by the app and I have not figured yet how to customize the folder names to suit me. Thanks for your help.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

What sorts of names do the "folders" have?

I've put "folders" in quotes because they may not be actual folders in the storage. Gallery apps usually view photos and images wherever they are stored on the device. Mostly the folder names they show are the actual folders they are stored in, but some might also show "collections" grouped by some other criterion. I'm not familiar with the Samsung app on that device, so can't say what I expect.

If it's showing them by the physical folder name you could change that with a file browser (create the folders you want and sort images into them), but it's probably quite tiresome, and of course new photos will still go into the DCIM or Camera folder. Does it let you "tag" images in some way and then sort them by the tags? Actually simplest: what sorting options does it have in its settings?

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  3. Just asking

Just asking Lurker

Ok. here is what I do. I go to applications, click on Gallery and now I see what looks like folders. They have the following names: Camera, download, DCIM, external_sd, sdcard, untitled folder, Whatsapp images, Whatsapp video. All folder names are followed by a number in brackets like this (24) indicating how many items are in each folder.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Those sound like the actual folders on your storage devices that the images are in. I don't recommend using a file manager to rename the folders, since other apps (such as your camera) expect them to have those names.

If you want to have more descriptive names you could create new folders with the names you want and move images into them as appropriate. Or, as noted, many gallery apps can sort/display photos by tags (though you'll have to tag them). It really depends how you want to sort them, but will probably require you doing it by hand, unless you want something trivial like date-ordered.

5. Just asking

Just asking Lurker

Hadron, thanks for all your input. I agree with your advise and leave all the folders alone, since they were named by the app and the app or other apps most likely are looking for these names to function properly. But I figured out, never the less, how to rename the folders if I wanted to. I tested it by renaming the folder 'untitled folder". You can't do it thru the app. It doesn't have the option. So all of a sudden I got this brain fart and connected my smart phone via usb cable to my PC, looked for drive I: which was the smart phone, clicked on it to see what was in it, saw the folder "untitled folder", highlighted and right clicked on it and sure enough the drop down window gave me the option to Rename. So I renamed it to what it actually is "Uploads from PC". But all the other folders I will not mess with for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for all your help. Problem solved.

Gallery-Photo Viewer, Photo Fo

Gallery-Photo Viewer, Photo Fo Forum

com.xvideostudio.flickmomentlite

Gallery is created by the same team of the VideoShow app with over 500 million users. Gallery HD is a useful alternative photo gallery, free dynamic photo album, photo viewer for your images and videos. It is a powerful video maker, photo browser, photo gallery with 3D views. It's fast, lightweight, completely free. You can easily create dynamic photo album, slideshows and nice short videos to share with friends. Gallery also help you free up space, add colorful theme and modern design to your pictures. New photo editor and video editor features are added: ◆ Photo editing: - Crop photos to adjust Instagram or other social medias. - Edit your pictures with our handpicked filters. - Beautify your selfies by adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, exposure, shadows, highlights or tone. Use beauty camera effects on your favorite gallery images. - Modify your photos by adding aperture, holy light, vignette or adjust the sharpness, make your photos ideal. It’s a beautiful 3D gallery with latest graphics. - Powerful file management: you can sort/rename/share/delete/copy/move pictures. Or crop/rotate/flip images. Easily set any photo you like as wallpaper directly from Gallery. ◆ Video editing - Video compressor: cut, trim, compress your videos to save the phone’s memory. - Video highlight: easily create new photo folders, record your timeline videos and photos, view them as a slideshow video. - Slide show animation with unlimited photos and smooth user interface. - Images/videos/slideshows can be sorted by date, size, name, both ascending or descending. Easy and fast for you to find the one you want. Key features:
(Exclusive) Support slideshow play with all images and videos of your photo gallery! ◆ Albums: - Browse, scan and organize your photos by folder. Supports all popular image formats and video formats like jpg, jpeg, jps, png, gif, bmp, wbmp, mpo, webp, 3gp, 3gpp, 3g2, avi, mp4, mkv, mov, m4v, mpeg, asf, divx, flv, k3g, mpg, mts, rm, rmvb, skm, ts, wmv. - Play the album in the specified order that you decide. - Make dynamic photo albums, music videos and cool slideshows. ◆ Moments: - Automatically organize all your photos and videos according to the events, date, time and location. With Gallery HD you will be able to display images to fill the entire screen. - You can use the pinch-to-zoom gesture or zoom buttons to get more detailed view. - The highlight moment can be easily viewed as a slideshow video, with just one tap! ◆ Favorites: - Add photos and videos to Favorites. - Ultra fast photo browser & video viewer ◆ Engaging Slideshow - Popular themes are ready for beautifying slideshow videos. - The videos can be exported as mp4 with 720P resolution. Your moment and life story is saved in HD Quality. ◆ Share Share your best moment to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, Line, Wechat, G+, Kakao, Vine, etc. If you would like to know the news about Videoshow Gallery, please Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/flickmoment Welcome to visit our website: http://www.videoshowapp.com If you have any questions or suggestions, please send an email to flickmoment@enjoy-mobi.com

READ MORE
July 2, 2019
Last Updated
Rating
Installs