• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to replace an SD card with a new one?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all. I'm thinking of upgrading my mom's SD card on her S4 with a bigger capacity, but I'm wondering what steps need to be taken to make sure everything gets transferred over.

I know how to move files over, such as pictures and videos, but what about actual system and/or app data? What do I do with this? Do I just copy everything as is, or will things maybe not work properly once the switch is made?

Thanks!

System and app data aren't on the removable card - that stuff stays in internal storage.

If you have moved any apps to SD they will be in a hidden folder, so you need to make sure those are copied too. These will have names starting with a ".", such as .android_secure (which last time I used that feature was where the app files were moved to). If you have not used this option (or have space to move them back to the phone before swapping) then this is not important, but personally I'd try to copy all hidden files and folders anyway.

Reactions: JohnJSal
Upvote 0
Thanks. So basically just copying everything as is will be enough to make the transition seamless, as if the card was never really changed?
I could be mistaken, but unless "modified" external SD is fat32 (i.e no "ownership" like other file systems) , so a simple copy of the data/content to the new card should suffice. Just don't wipe your current one until you are sure everything is transferred/verified working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones