• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to restore old whatsapp after system reinstall / new ROM installed

masterton

Nov 17, 2016
Here's my friend's case. He has Whatsapp A with an old number. He has a new number with Whatsapp B.
The tablet becomes sluggish recently. He wants to reinstall system or upgrade to another ROM to come if it helps, but the problem is the old number is long gone. He wants to keep Whatsapp A. It is still accessible.

Is it possible to reinstall system or switch to another ROM, and then move Whatsapp A without re-verifying the old number? Thank you.

P.S. For some reason, this thread is bugged. They system auto-picked one. I cannot pick the best answer as usual. The question hasn't been answered yet.

Last edited:
As it sounds like WhatsApp A is no longer accessible so it's not likely your friend can transfer his old account to the new one.
Apparently that needs to be taken care of beforehand using the old WhatsApp app (A) to switch phone numbers and do the backup, and then activate the new WhatsApp app (B) with the new number and import that previous backup.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000018/?category=5245246

Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0
As it sounds like WhatsApp A is no longer accessible so it's not likely your friend can transfer his old account to the new one.
Apparently that needs to be taken care of beforehand using the old WhatsApp app (A) to switch phone numbers and do the backup, and then activate the new WhatsApp app (B) with the new number and import that previous backup.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000018/?category=5245246

Whatsapp A is still accessible. It is the phone system becomes really sluggish now. He wants to reinstall system or switch to another ROM, so it becomes fast now.

He wants to keep the old number in Whatsapp A. How could he reinstall system / install another ROM and move Whatsapp A (without the need of re-verification)? Thank you.

Upvote 0
If he no longer has the phone number associated with WhatsApp A I'm surprised he's able to use it at all.

If he does have that phone number then no problem, just back up the messages before reflashing or changing ROM as that's likely to result in a reset. But without the original number I don't know a way of doing what you ask (which is probably why you got no answers to your original question - when people don't know they usually don't waste your time posting that they don't know).

Upvote 0
Whatsapp A is still accessible. It is the phone system becomes really sluggish now. He wants to reinstall system or switch to another ROM, so it becomes fast now.

He wants to keep the old number in Whatsapp A. How could he reinstall system / install another ROM and move Whatsapp A (without the need of re-verification)? Thank you.
If you read that FAQ from the WhatsApp site there's step-by-step instructions on the process.

As for flashing a ROM, that's an entirely different issue. Are you referring to a stock ROM or a custom ROM? A third-party ROM involves rooting the device first (stock ROMs don't require root). And there are lot of other pertinent details required to even give proper suggestions -- phone model, carrier-locked or unlocked, which version of Android its currently running. Also, what about doing basic maintenance on the phone first, and then think about flashing a ROM if that doesn't result in an improvement?

Upvote 0
Then I wouldn't count on being able to use that WhatsApp indefinitely. Service providers re-use disconnected numbers after a while, and once that happens if the new owner signs in to WhatsApp I expect it will disconnect your device (since WhatsApp can only be used with one phone number on one device at a time). I don't know how soon this will happen with your provider, but I'd start preparing for this, i.e. look into how to migrate it to a phone number that you do control.

This article has some suggestions that might help, and might provide a workaround for your current problem
: https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-without-phone-number-sim-5365/

Upvote 0
If you read that FAQ from the WhatsApp site there's step-by-step instructions on the process.

As for flashing a ROM, that's an entirely different issue. Are you referring to a stock ROM or a custom ROM? A third-party ROM involves rooting the device first (stock ROMs don't require root). And there are lot of other pertinent details required to even give proper suggestions -- phone model, carrier-locked or unlocked, which version of Android its currently running. Also, what about doing basic maintenance on the phone first, and then think about flashing a ROM if that doesn't result in an improvement?

Whatever as long as it can fix the sluggish issue. It becomes very slow to run any app. It used to be fast.

I believe a fresh install of ROM (no matter what ROM to flash) is required to solve it. However doing so will wipe Whatsapp and will trigger re-verification.

It is not carrier-locked. The Android version is 6.0.1

What maintenance could be tried to see if it helps? Thank you.

Upvote 0
Then I wouldn't count on being able to use that WhatsApp indefinitely. Service providers re-use disconnected numbers after a while, and once that happens if the new owner signs in to WhatsApp I expect it will disconnect your device (since WhatsApp can only be used with one phone number on one device at a time). I don't know how soon this will happen with your provider, but I'd start preparing for this, i.e. look into how to migrate it to a phone number that you do control.

This article has some suggestions that might help, and might provide a workaround for your current problem
: https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-without-phone-number-sim-5365/

Do you know whether the number provided by TextNow has any expiry date?
I will tell him about that and let him decide. Thank you.

Upvote 0
You could ask a moderator whether they can clear it. I don't think there is any system auto-picking anything, rather someone hit the "best answer" button, possibly by mistake since it is next to "like".

I don't know about whether TextNow has any form of expiry date, as I've never used the service myself. I don't know whether anyone else here has who could provide more information.

Upvote 0
You could ask a moderator whether they can clear it. I don't think there is any system auto-picking anything, rather someone hit the "best answer" button, possibly by mistake since it is next to "like".

I don't know about whether TextNow has any form of expiry date, as I've never used the service myself. I don't know whether anyone else here has who could provide more information.

OK thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0
I found the info about expiry dates of TextNow numbers.

When you pick a number for your account after you first create it, if that number is not used to text or call another number it will expire within the first twenty-four hours of activation.
After you've called or texted for the first time after acquiring a number, your number can be revoked if you've gone between 3-5 days without making a call or text. We send you a warning message before the number is revoked to give you a chance to keep it active.

https://supportfree.textnow.com/hc/...s-My-Phone-Number-Released-And-What-Can-I-Do-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones