1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by pestifero, Apr 29, 2016.

1. pestifero

pestifero Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Hi,

At home we access to the internet wirelessly by means of a modem-router TP-Link Archer MR200, through a SIM and 4G link.
    The problem is that after the first connection the wi-fi network key of the router remains memorized in the devices (smartphone Android 5.1.1, tablet Android 4.2.2), therefore the kids are in a position to access the internet without our control; which is not what we want.

Is there a way to prevent the Android devices above from memorizing the wireless network key (without having to delete the wireless network profile at the end of each session) ?
    This would force the kids to come to us whenever they want internet.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Not sure about your setup, but I can tell you about mine.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk AC3250 (but then I have 802.11ac wifi in my home). It has a main network and a GUEST network that you can turn on and off with a simple tap of the Netgear app. You can also set up parental controls and hours. You could access the main network and hand your kids the password to the guest network. I hope this helps.

Lordvincent 90 likes this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Here's a link to the User Manual for your router:
    http://www.tp-linkru.com/res/down/doc/Archer_MR200_V1_UG_.pdf
    On page 33 there are instructions on enabling Parental Controls which is more or less content filtering.
    On page 41 there are instructions on setting up a Guest Network. Put the kids on the guest network and then you can just turn that on and off accordingly.

You might also want to look into applying OpenDNS to your router. It will give you more granular control than the Parental Control function of your router but give it a good read. It can be very effective but might be overkill for your needs.
    https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

The_Chief and Lordvincent 90 like this.
  4. pestifero

pestifero Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Filters-based parental controls do not suit me.

I simply want to enter the wi-fi network key at each connection (when the kids ask for Internet, and I agree to) and the device must NOT memorize it. That's it.

My need is that simple.... that I'm not capable to implement it in the tablet !!! (Gigaset QV1030, Android 4.2.2).

I could not find any checkbox with "Connect automatically" option or similar.

Does anyone has idea about how to accomplish that?
    In the meantime I'll give a read to the OpenDNS, as per Svim's suggestion.

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Set up a Guest Network on your router, set up the kid's devices so that's the only WiFi network they connect to, and then you can just enable/disable the Guest Network accordingly.The regular WiFi you use will be separate and unaffected so just put a bookmark into the browser of your phone and/or computer for your router login so it's readily available.

6. Father Guido

Father Guido Android Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    SE Michigan
    Short of 3rd party firmware on the router, I believe this to be the best option. There might even be settings for the guest account to force only that connection through OpenDNS, adding yet more protection/control.