• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Return To Gingerbread And S-on

Is this safe to do if you already have that same radio version installed?

Yes. Full radio image = ok, patched radio image (remember 2.05?) = NOT ok. I'm sure it's been done many times by now for those having problems with the OTA (same radio as RUU) and wanting a clean install.

And for a friend of mine, can you do this from rooted 2.1 with s-on?

I've been wondering this same thing to be honest. My gut feeling is that yes, it can be done. My rationale is that I THINK the extracted image is still signed as it was pulled from the official RUU, therefore not requiring s-off. In the past, there was a strong desire to be s-off when performing this sort of IMG flash simply because we'd lose root and s-off would allow us to get it back. Now that 2.2 has been rooted (thanks Unrevoked!), I don't believe it to be an issue.

If anyone is confident that is inaccurate, please say so. I'm more than willing to stand corrected in the interest of accuracy.

Upvote 0
There have already been several requests for information on how to downgrade back to the official 2.2. The following process will remove root. Whether you need to return a phone or you just want to clean the slate and go back to stock, here is how to get there:

Note: Your SD card MUST be formatted to FAT32 before proceeding. The file will not be recognized otherwise. If you have yet to format, remember that formatting wipes the card. Be sure to copy/move your SD contents to a safe place (PC desktop) and replace after the formatting process. I will not go into the procedure in this thread as it is easily found with a Google search.

1.) Need to return a phone and currently have S-Off? (aka Unrevoked Forever) If so, please visit public:forever [RootWiki] where you can download the latest S-On tool and the process to load to your phone. If you want to keep S-Off and just return to the official 2.2, skip to step 2.

2.) Download the 2.2 PB31IMG.zip (extracted from the official 2.2 RUU)
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Note the file size (169 MB) and the MD5(784d7d55d987ed5afa7b10a30b402fb4) to ensure a successful download and file integrity. If you have questions about how to verify MD5, please see post #2 of this thread.

3.) Attach phone to PC with USB debugging on and in disk drive mode.

4.) Access the SD storage and drag the PB31IMG.zip from the desktop onto the root of the SD card (any open area, do not place into a folder).

5.) Swipe down notification bar on phone and change to charge only.

6.) Unplug phone from PC and turn off phone.

7.) Hold volume down while pressing power button to enter hboot.

8.) PB31IMG.zip should be automatically recognized in hboot. Press volume up to continue with update. Do NOT interrupt.

9.) When finished, reboot to stock 2.2 and verify the following information at Menu > Settings > About Phone:

Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.15-gb7b01d1
htc-kernel@and18-2#1
Build Number: 3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys
Software Number: 3.21.605.1

10.) Remove the PB31IMG.zip from the SD card to avoid an inadvertant reload in the future. You are now unrooted and on stock 2.2

I have the 2.05 radio and the ROM from the XDA forums that is based off of the official 2.2 OTA, will this work for me? I'd like to get to the official 2.2 from Verizon with the 2.15 radio. By the way, I originally rooted and upgraded to 2.05 radio while on OS 2.1.

Upvote 0
I have the 2.05 radio and the ROM from the XDA forums that is based off of the official 2.2 OTA, will this work for me? I'd like to get to the official 2.2 from Verizon with the 2.15 radio. By the way, I originally rooted and upgraded to 2.05 radio while on OS 2.1.

You should be fine. Again, the only fear with the 2.05 radio is flashing ONLY that radio over itself. And by that radio, I mean flashing the ota.zip that appleaj, myself and many others did several weeks ago. Official 2.2 (the file in this thread) uses the 2.15.00.07.28 radio.

Upvote 0
i have not updated to 2.2 yet but i do use a different PB31IMG file that downgrades back to 2.1 with S-OFF. my question is since i haven't officially updated to 2.2 yet, can i use this PB31IMG file to remove root and skip the update to go straight into 2.2 or should i continue to use the other file that downgrades me back to 2.1?? TIA

In my mind, there is no longer a reason to downgrade to 2.1 unless you have a specific desire/reason you want it. Some people just don't like 2.2 for reasons like longer charge times, some think worse battery life etc. You can update to "official" 2.2 using this file. It will yield the same configuration as downgrading and accepting the OTA only in this case, you're getting a cleaner install IMO. I'm not a fan of OTA's.

Reactions: Will Survive
Upvote 0
I have only found the 178.2 file size in the links provided above. Hboot does not recognize it and will not load. It flashes some green letters that read at the very bottom "image not recognized." It flashes this data so quickly that I am unable to read all of the text.

Please help I am stuck on....

SD card is formatted to FAT32

Android Version 2.2
Baseband: 2.05.00.06.11
Kernel: 2.6.32.15-g5e1ad8b
Build: unrevoked
Software: 3.17.605.0

and would like to get to stock 2.2.

Thank You!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones