• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to revert to default boot animation PLEASE HELP

IIRC, when you overwrote the bootanimation, it took the name of the stock file that was the bootanimation.zip. so, your new one wrote over your stock one, no.

If so.. that means you either better have (1) backed up the original bootanimation.zip or (2) need to find the original on the web so you have it to overwrite the current one.

Either way, the bootanimation.zip file is located in /data/local IF you were rooted it would be as easy as dropping in the stock bootanimation.zip file and you would be done. So, in your case, you need to track down the stock bootanimation.zip and then find a way to push it to /data/local without being rooted - like the app you used to change it originally

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, heck, it might be as simple as just deleting bootanimation.zip from /data/local and you get the stock one back. but again, root is needed for that access.

EDIT: I use the Droid X bootanimation and I see in /data/local bootanimation.zip file is there and I see no bootanimation.zip backup file on my computer - where I backup al files I edit - so that tells me I either did not back it up (which would be odd and very unlikely) or it means that bootanimation.zip just overwrites the stock one and maybe just deleting it would bring the stock boot animation back?

Upvote 0
IIRC, when you overwrote the bootanimation, it took the name of the stock file that was the bootanimation.zip. so, your new one wrote over your stock one, no.

If so.. that means you either better have (1) backed up the original bootanimation.zip or (2) need to find the original on the web so you have it to overwrite the current one.

Either way, the bootanimation.zip file is located in /data/local IF you were rooted it would be as easy as dropping in the stock bootanimation.zip file and you would be done. So, in your case, you need to track down the stock bootanimation.zip and then find a way to push it to /data/local without being rooted - like the app you used to change it originally

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, heck, it might be as simple as just deleting bootanimation.zip from /data/local and you get the stock one back. but again, root is needed for that access.

EDIT: I use the Droid X bootanimation and I see in /data/local bootanimation.zip file is there and I see no bootanimation.zip backup file on my computer - where I backup al files I edit - so that tells me I either did not back it up (which would be odd and very unlikely) or it means that bootanimation.zip just overwrites the stock one and maybe just deleting it would bring the stock boot animation back?

How do I get to the /data/local folder where the bootanimation.zip file is? I connected my phone to my pc and mounted it and explored it but cant find the folder or file...and if it helps the way i originally changed my boot animation was by using this guide Big Lou's Boot Animation Tutorial for Noobs - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum I REALLY WANT TO DELETE THE CUSTOM BOOT AND GO BACK TO THE DEFAULT ONE!

Upvote 0
of course you cannot see it if you connect the phone to your computer as that directory is on the phone, not the SD card.

try something like Astro or Root Explorer from on the phone.

I also found that my stock boot animation zip file is in system/media so that kind of makes me think that if the one in data/local is deleted, the stock system one in system/media would take back over. again, this is on the phone, not SD card so lugging into the computer will not allow you to see it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones