1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to rip DVD and HD movies you own for the One X

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scottbufc, Apr 20, 2012.

1. scottbufc

scottbufc Lurker

Hello all

I will shortly be embarking on a flight where I may as well make use of the One X's film playing abilities.

Is it at all possible to put a DVD into my laptop and transfer the file/files to the One X and play it on the phone or is the only way really to buy films from the Play Store?

On a slightly different tangent can this be done with YouTube/iplayer vids? I know the phone has standable apps for playback of these but obviously I wont have an internet connection during a flight.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Its_Red

Its_Red Member

How I would do it is to use Magic DVD ripper and backup the movie as an avi file then transfer it to the phone and it should work fine, however the last flight I was on all mobile devices had to be turned off during flight - even flight mode was not allowed :(

scottbufc likes this.
  3. rasalghoul

rasalghoul Newbie

Use a dvd ripping program on your pc to get the file into an easy to play format then drag it onto your phone. a DVD is about 4gb, ripped and shrunk they are about 700-1500mb. Lots of free programs out there, you can try download.com and see what they have for free.

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Handbrake is another popular app for conversion.

Also install MX Video player before you go, not sure if the stock video player handles avi out of the box.

scottbufc likes this.
  5. Cessquill

Cessquill Newbie

Personally, I wouldn't bother going to that resolution. The conversion software will be upscaling the DVD, so unless you're ripping Blu-Ray, you'd be wasting storage space.

I've backed up my DVDs to PC using AnyDVD, but with AnyDVD in place you can convert straight from the disc onto the handset using Handbrake and selecting one of its Android profiles (although it'll read pretty much any). Takes about 20-30 minutes.

I have noticed though that when I ripped an NTSC title, it the One X wouldn't play the movie at the correct ratio - it was very squashed, although it played fine on the desktop. Same movie and settings but using a PAL version and it came out fine. I'm watching Pulp Fiction using Handbrake's "Android High" preset and it's playing very nice. Came in at 669mb.

If you were going away for a time, you might like to rip to one of the lower quality settings to not eat up too much storage, but otherwise it's great.

s.m.knipe likes this.
  6. Cessquill

Cessquill Newbie

As an aside, I ripped my copy of Up on Blu-Ray to the One X last night using Handbrake's default "Android High" setting (didn't play around with the options, just wanted to see what it'd be like).

The file came in at about 3.5gb, and looks really cool.

7. obbiie

obbiie Lurker

Hi all, new to the forum, the phone and Android :)

I'm looking for the best setting to use in handbrake to convert 720p MKV's for playback on the device. I'm having audio issues trying to play the unconverted MKV's in MX Player so figure I need to convert them.

Handbrake does have a couple of Android pre-sets but they don't seem set up to take advantage of what this phone can do. (and I'd prefer to do it for free in Handbrake rather than buy a 3rd party app)

Cheers

Kevin

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

El Presidente likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! :)

Please see the link in my post above (I merged a discussion here, wasn't there when you posted) for details on that. ;) :)

10. kaki4125

kaki4125 Lurker

just convert the video to htc one x supported video&audio format.
    * Video clips in .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3)
    * Music/audio files in .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9)

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews