• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to root 1.4.1?

ok so i have been back and forth between here and youtube to find videos and information on rooting my nook color and possibly putting cm7 on it. i have done it plenty of times so far but being that i have read the forums, i have seen that with the newest cm7, the android market isn't working. im somewhat keen to rooting. had no problems with rooting when it was the 1.2 os.

my question is this...is there a way to boot cm7 from an sd card but keep 1.4.1 so if i wanted to take the sd card out, i can use the stock os? also, whats everyones views on honeycomb on the nook color?

in dire need of help cuz i wanna be able to download some apps from the market but also be able to access my books i have if i just wanna use my nook color as a stock ereader. thanks in advance for all the help

First of all, HC is not a good build for the NC. It was created from the developer SDK and device drivers stolen from other tablets. It's not a good rom for daily use.

CM7 on the other hand, has an active dev community and CM7.1 stable is going to be your best bet. ICS is on the way so you should see nightly builds of CM9 coming out in Jan/Feb.

Unless you need read-to-me books (you're over 8 years old, right?), you can replace your stock rom with CM7 and install any Market reader app (including B&N, Kindle, etc) and still read books.

Rooted NC = reader that can do other things.
NC w/ CM7 = tablet that can also read books.

You can boot off a sdcard, but it's subject to fail (all sdcards eventually die), fragile (it's easy to trash since most guides assume rom is installed on your NC), slow (slower than internal memory), and harder to install/upgrade.

One down-side is apps purchased thru B&N market are not available thru android market for free (you'd have to buy them again). Purchased books are still available thru the B&N app tho.

Although 1.4.1 can be rooted via the same process as 1.3, there are issues that make it not usable at this time. Until they can get that figured out, your best bet would be to (in order of increasing difficulty):

1. simply wait
  2. flash cm7
  3. go the bootable sdcard route
  4. flash back-to-stock 1.3 and disable updater by updating build.prop file (not for novices)

Upvote 0
[...] my question is this...is there a way to boot cm7 from an sd card but keep 1.4.1 so if i wanted to take the sd card out, i can use the stock os? also, whats everyones views on honeycomb on the nook color?
Yes, you can dual-boot off of SD. The same SD card will work, in fact. I'm running in this configuration now while I experiment with rooting 1.4.1.

As Colchiro mentioned, rooting 1.4.1 isn't complete yet. I'm at the point where I can sideload apps via .zip or apk from SD. EDIT: There may have been a breakthrough this evening. I am rooted on 1.4.1 and Market is working.

As to whether 1.4.1 is better than running CM7.1 off of emmc, it really depends on whether you intend to use the B&N subscriptions. They've done a very nice job with the new reader, and the auto-update of subscriptions on the home screen is very nice. The biggest thing you lose out on a non-B&N ROM, at least for now, is the ability access their enhanced content. This is more than just Read-To-Me. Conde Nast publications, for example, require 1.4x to work. Wired Magazine provides a bunch of enhancements that go well beyond a PDF-like presentation of a printed page. You can't access these with the Android Nook app. I have no idea if they intend to add this functionality to the app.

If you intend to have a lot of subscriptions, particularly Conde Nast and other "innovative" pubs, this may be the deciding factor in favor of a B&N ROM. If not, CM7.1 makes more sense. Aldiko handles most of the reading functions of "non-enhanced" epubs just fine.

I only wish there were a launcher that didn't insist on a grid. B&N's free-form launcher is very nice in this regard.

Upvote 0
thanks to the both of you for the help. heres another question. is rooting the 1.4.1 following the 1.3 instructions easy to do? i have cm 7.1 on my sd card and it runs flawlessly although with the latest gapps, not a lot of items i wanna download show up in the market but i can get them thru the amazon app store.

im torn between which way to go. on one hand, i wouldn't mind installing cm 7.1 internally but then again im wondering if just keeping it on a memory card would be easier, just a hassle having to always power off and switch from stock to sd card. i like tinkering with my toys, ie the nook color, i don't mind doing the same process over and over again to make it work to the way i want.

Upvote 0
thanks to the both of you for the help. heres another question. is rooting the 1.4.1 following the 1.3 instructions easy to do?
It is trivial to do, but you do not want to use older versions of manualnooter. The latest is manualnooter-5.12.19.zip, available in that thread I linked to. If you have already used older versions, the only way I'm aware of to be able to use the Android Market is to do a factory reset, re-register with B&N and only then run mn5.12.19.
i have cm 7.1 on my sd card and it runs flawlessly although with the latest gapps, not a lot of items i wanna download show up in the market but i can get them thru the amazon app store.
Everything should be showing in the Market if you're running a current version of CM. Have you tried clearing Market data? Older versions required tinkering with the screen density settings, but the latest do not.
im torn between which way to go. on one hand, i wouldn't mind installing cm 7.1 internally but then again im wondering if just keeping it on a memory card would be easier, just a hassle having to always power off and switch from stock to sd card.
After playing with BN 1.4.1 for a couple of days, I think the answer comes down to one simple question: Do you intend to use B&N content? B&N's enhanced content, and particularly the enhanced Conde Nast pubs like Wired magazine, are the main thing B&N's firmware offers. Their subscription delivery system is also very nicely done. If you want to take advantage of their free read in store program, you need to be on their firmware. If none of these really apply, there is absolutely zero benefit to sticking with the B&N firmware, unless you're a real fan of that free-form homescreen.

If you do dump the B&N firmware, be aware the the Android Nook app is nowhere near the same experience. In fact, it sucks mightily. It may get updated in the future to be the same, but it definitely is not today. For one thing, it can not handle the Conde Nast pubs, so I can't read my Wired subscription with them. Again, really only a big deal if you want B&N content. Otherwise, Aldiko, Montano and a host of other readers to just a good a job on CM, plus you can run the Kindle app.

Other than those factors, all the advantages lie with CM in terms of functionality. As it stands today, the B&N rooted 1.4.1 does not support APP2SD, so you are in danger of filling it up and getting stuck rethinking things. It is a limited tablet. CM, by contrast, lets you have full control.

As to SD versus emmc for CM, it really comes down to whether you think you'll ever need the B&N software again. If not, wipe it out and load CM on emmc. You'll gain more flexibility with using your SD cards then.

Right now, I'm set up for dual boot with 1.4.1 on emmc, and CM7.1 on SD. I'm going to leave it for a bit to see if the BN stuff grows on me. If not, CM goes back on emmc. At least until the next B&N update.

Upvote 0
ok so let me get this straight cuz im somewhat of a noob but can pretty much follow instructions. so i get the newest manual nooter and follow the same instructions to root the 1.3?

bobstro, is there any way u can pm me a message with instructions on exactly what to do or point me out to the right thread to use?
Sorry guys, spent a couple days in the hospital, and sitting for extended periods is out of the question for a bit. :)

In short: Follow the 1.3 rooting instructions, except use ONLY the latest manualnooter-5-12-19.zip on it. It's straightforward. DO NOT run any of the earlier manualnooter versions or the Android Market won't work.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
I've also been trying to follow the 1.4 root discussions over at XDA and my head is spinning a bit. From what I've gathered, it looks pretty straight foreward, but after my first failed attempt at rooting 1.3, I'm a little gun shy. This is what I gather, but would like some confirmation (I doubt I'll try this until next week since it's a Christmas present and I don't want it stuck in a boot loop when he opens it....he'll have to live with it booting CM7 off the SD card for now).

- Create a 3.2.0.1 ClockWorkMod bootable disk
- Put ManualNooter 4.6.1 on the card
- Boot to the card and execute the MN 4.6.1 zip
- Boot to the nook and run some steps I'm not entirely clear on because I haven't seen it yet.

Is that all there is to it, or have I missed something? And if I screw it up how bad is it to recover? I gues as long as I've got my CM7 SD card I can always boot to that regardless of if I screw up the root, right?

Upvote 0
I haven't checked the MN thread for several days.

Shouldn't it be more like this:

- Put ManualNooter 4.6.16 on the card
- Boot to the card and execute the MN 4.6.16 zip
- Boot to the nook and set Zeam as your default launcher.

Bob made reference to latest MN, but also 5-12-19. Not sure where that version is. These are all the versions available with 4.6.16 as being the latest. Downloads - nooter - The Nooter Project - Google Project Hosting

I also don't understand why there isn't a 4.0.1 guide on XDA yet.

If you screw up, simply do the 1.3 back to stock. Just download that to your sdcard as well.

Upvote 0
Shouldn't it be more like this:

- Put ManualNooter 4.6.16 on the card
- Boot to the card and execute the MN 4.6.16 zip
- Boot to the nook and set Zeam as your default launcher.

Yeah, sorry. Typo.

If you screw up, simply do the 1.3 back to stock. Just download that to your sdcard as well.

Didn't have much luck with that when I had my original issues trying to root, but I've learnd a few things I may have done wrong then, so hopefully I won't have the issues.

Upvote 0

I'm confused (again). From that other thread, I thought the TWRP had to do with using the touch screen on the boot menu rather than the keys...what am I missing?

And as far as the root goes. As long as I have a working CM7 boot SD card, the worst case senario is that I fubar the nook with a failed root attempt and I'm just limited to using the card until I get it fixed. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
You can't fubar the NC as long as you have workable sdcard slot. :D

TWRP is equivalent to CWR (recovery on your bootable sdcard), using touch screen instead of the volume and power buttons. I updated my bootable sdcard, but haven't done the recovery on the Nook yet (which at this point, requires adb to install).

Upvote 0
TWRP is equivalent to CWR (recovery on your bootable sdcard), using touch screen instead of the volume and power buttons. I updated my bootable sdcard, but haven't done the recovery on the Nook yet (which at this point, requires adb to install).

Just restored CM7.1 backup (was ICS) and didn't seem to be booting so used TWRP to clear the caches. I like it, but don't like having to swap sdcards to use it.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, this is your captian speaking. Our current crusing altitude is 32,000 feet over Girevik's head. We've turned off the fasten seat belt signs. You are now free to move about the cabin.

Upvote 0
bobstro, i got things rooted but i think i f'd up the market. any idea on how i can fix it?
If it's downloading new apps but failing to install them, I'm going to guess that you ran one of the older Manualnooter versions first. I wound up restoring mine to B&N v1.4.1 (you can do through Quick Settings->Settings->Device info) and trying the root process with GMPOWER's latest Manualnooter.

Before you do that, though, you might want to see if it's only Market. Try downloading an app from Amazon, or installing an apk locally. If this is your problem, all three should fail.

If this isn't your issue, explain a bit more as to how exactly Market is failing.

Upvote 0
well i got the manual nooter 5.12.20 and followed the same exact instructions on xda to manual nooter the 1.3 like u said but i guess i presumed that when i opened the market, that there wasn't that many apps showing so i followed this:

Market has limited visibility - This is a known tablet issue, not just a NOOKcolor one.
Start Nook Color Tools.
Select the "All Settings" button.
Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
Choose "Manage Applications" from the list.
Select the "All" tab.
Scroll down to "Market" and select it.
Tap "Force stop".
Tap "Clear cache".
Tap the Back button if you have SoftKeys running, else swipe right to left on the status bar at the bottom of the screen (from the clock to the book icon).
Scroll up to "Google Services Framework" and select it.
Tap "Clear data".
Tap "OK".
Tap "Force stop".
Press the n button to return to your launcher.
Start Market.
At the "An error has occurred" message, tap "OK".
Hold your power button to turn off your NOOK Color from the menu.
Turn your NOOK Color back on and give it a moment to find your WiFi connection.
Start Market again, and the problem is resolved.

and now after i open the market, very limited and i mean VERY, show up. did i f**k something up and if so, how can i fix this?

Upvote 0
I seem to be having a problem making a bootable micro disk. I run win32imager and point to the image and it says it loads but then i can not load the cm7 on the card. It tells me the disk is not formatted and the intire 8gb is used. Any ideas on what i might be doing wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones