• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root after offical 2.1 update?

i searched so dont tell me im being lazy please. Ok so i accepted the 2.1 offical update from verizon on my droid and have been patiently waiting for 2.2 for flash:rolleyes:! But we all know verizon etc take for ever to update so im going try to take the plunge and root for 2.2 if someone can point me to a thread or just tell me it would help alot. :D

Titanium Backup. Get it, use it, love it.

If I'm not mistaken you have to be rooted to use titanium backup. So you would have to install a rooted mod to use it therefore loosing the apps.

I haven't rooted yet because I don't want to loose my apps. So now I have a question.

If I back my apps up with astro file manager then root will restoring them with astro work? I'd probably loose the data though wouldn't I?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I was looking at. I just downloaded it but it said that you couldn't do anything with it unless it's already rooted, which wipes ur apps and settings. :( Rooting is complicated! haha

Not familiar with Astro backing up apps, but seriously, how hard can it be? Sure, it may be a pain, but write down your important apps, make note of your settings, and root. It is only as complicated as you make it. Once you get set up, you will be able to save whatever with Titanium Backup, and restore from that point on when you switch roms. It's easy going once you settle in with a new rom.

I am thinking that by saying "Rooting is complicated", you really meant that "a rooted phone is time consuming". And it is. 15 minutes to root, and forever to set up roms how you want them. You will be flashing roms left and right, and will spend most of your time setting it up. Just when you get it the way you want it, another rom comes out that you have to try out. Its a vicious cycle that never ends.

Upvote 0
Still confused on if it is still possible to root after accepting the 2.1 update i forgot to back up 2.0.1 before i did update and i heard that 2.1 blocked root access

you can use RSDlite to flash sprecovery on your phone then apply the update.zip that OMJ supplied which gives you root access. or as soon as you get sprecovery you can just flash what ever rom you want. it is all documented in this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones