• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To How to root and install droid 2.1

I think you first need to create a nandroid backup.. that should create a folder for you.

There's nothing in the steps about manually creating a nandroid backup. I don't want to screw up.

I mean, it says in the steps to create on by going into recovery mode and then going to the nandroid submenu, but that submenu isn't there!!!

Upvote 0
Has anyone actually done this, or are you all just happy to have the chance to do it?

9. Type adb shell then press enter
10. You now have access to adb shell

when I type adb shell, i get a $ sign, and nothing else

ANDROID 2.1
1. Make a NANDROID back up by rebooting your phone into recovery and going to the NANDROID subfolder
2. Take everything inside and make a backup folder on your comp

There is NO NANDROID SUBFOLDER here.

If there does somehow happen to be a subfolder there, how do you "take everything inside and make a backup" from your phone to the pc?

Are you finding the Nandroid Subfolder on your COMPUTER SCREEN, or on the PHONE SCREEN??

Can someone please help? I'm just sitting here holding my you know what until someone can help.

Upvote 0
There's nothing in the steps about manually creating a nandroid backup. I don't want to screw up.

I mean, it says in the steps to create on by going into recovery mode and then going to the nandroid submenu, but that submenu isn't there!!!

on the recovery rebbot do u see the golden android icon or the normal reboot recovery icon??

Upvote 0
on the recovery rebbot do u see the golden android icon or the normal reboot recovery icon??

Its a yellow robot with yellow instructions on navigating. Above it is blue writing. on Top it says Android system recovery

Patched by SirPsychoS (0.14.0)

Options are:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
mount options
backup/restore

Upvote 0
Its a yellow robot with yellow instructions on navigating. Above it is blue writing. on Top it says Android system recovery

Patched by SirPsychoS (0.14.0)

Options are:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
mount options
backup/restore

the nandroid submenu is "backup/restore" option.. click it then preform a current backup.. then reboot... the folder on ur SD card should be there.. this is where u will drop other builds.

Upvote 0
the nandroid submenu is "backup/restore" option.. click it then preform a current backup.. then reboot... the folder on ur SD card should be there.. this is where u will drop other builds.

Wow. I feel like such an idiot. But I was really just terrified of hitting any wrong button and bricking my phone.

Thanks.

Just one more thing.

When I type in "adb shell" in the command prompt, and all it gives me is a "$"

Does that mean I have access to the adb shell?

Upvote 0
I did it!

I don't know if I'm an idiot, I may very well be, but I just thought there was a lot of "guessing" in some of these steps. But it could just be me.

When I don't understand exactly what I'm doing, I like to be told what to do as if I'm a child.

But all's well that ends well.

:D
understandable.. well now that you have the first backup and a restore point.. i'd keep the a copy of the signed manual 2.0.1 update zip file (for unrooting) and now that you have ur first restore point you can't really mess it up. I mean you could go and do somethin really really crazy I'd assume to cokmpletely brick your device, but for the most part, you can ALWAYS do a batter pull and then recovery reboot your phone by holding power and x on start up and then either run restore or unroot.

Upvote 0
just a headsup for everyone out there, after a few hours of messing around on different droid sites and trial / error, i came to the conclusion running Panda home theme was just adding extreme ammounts of difficulty. after uninstalling, the steps were a breeze. here's another link that helped alot.

AllDroid.org - View topic - Installing Nandroid Backups (2.1 img) Easy Way UPDATED\PIX

if anyones having problems keep posting and i'll help to the best of my ability

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how to back up my text messages? I did the restore process to install 2.1, and lost all of my messages. Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to keep them the next time I restore.

Also, does anyone know what changed from the version of 2.1 that was linked in this thread on the 24th to the version that's linked now? Has the keyboard light issue been fixed?

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how to back up my text messages? I did the restore process to install 2.1, and lost all of my messages. Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to keep them the next time I restore.

Also, does anyone know what changed from the version of 2.1 that was linked in this thread on the 24th to the version that's linked now? Has the keyboard light issue been fixed?

not that i'm aware of and there's a change log @ the beginning of the thread

Upvote 0
not that i'm aware of and there's a change log @ the beginning of the thread

Thanks for the reply. I saw the notes in the post at the top of the thread, but there isn't much information for the 12/27 update. You said that you updated the recovery image and the root helper, but I don't see any info on what's changed in the recovery image. Is there another changelog I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I saw the notes in the post at the top of the thread, but there isn't much information for the 12/27 update. You said that you updated the recovery image and the root helper, but I don't see any info on what's changed in the recovery image. Is there another changelog I'm missing?

that's the only one and it states that after the 24th, the only changes to the ROM itself are market issue fixed [now all paid apps appear again] and temporary keyboard backlight solution [open keyboard, press the power button, press again, and unlock]

Upvote 0
i was able to mount and finish the first 2 steps of the rooting process... but now I am stuck on the android sdk step. i do not see my droid in device manger with the exclamation point. and i did do the usb debugging. although i do see a android phone on the top of the list and the android composite abd interface shows up.

Upvote 0
I carefully followed the steps and got it working. Snappy!

Bugs to report:

Live wallpapers make the phone unstable and laggy. Twice my phone froze and the rebooted all by itself like 30 seconds to a minute later. This occored when I turned on the "live wallpapers".

Nexus live wallpaper doesn't work at all but just shows black background.

Shuterbug app was doing weird things so I uninstalled it.

Scrolling in the browser is still a bit laggy. Not horrible or anything but it doesn't just move around freely in 1 to 1 movement with your finger.

-----------------------------------------

Happy that GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth are all working great.

Sucks that hands free voice dialing over Bluetooth is still not implemented in Android 2.1 :(

If I use normal static wallpaper, everything runs great and smooth. Really can notice the speed improvements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones