• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root: Official Guide

Ok so i am new to this whole Rooting Scene and i was wondering like does this basicaly give u free internet like data use n stuff like that and also how would i back up all my stuff on my phone that isnt on my sd care like contacts n shit? n do i keep my same number can i still text n call people with it cuz i have at n t and i dont wanna root it then not be able to use it cuz im paying 75$ a month n not having use like texting or callin would be a waste to do this so plz message back and thank you =)

Upvote 0
Way late reply here, but it doesn't give you free data. And Google backs up your contacts for the most part, but if you want to, use MyBackup Root to backup contacts, SMS and MMS. It always works for me when flashing to different ROMs. And yes, your phone will still work, just like it used to. But if not, let me know and then head over to the HTC Inspire 4G forum at Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers

USE the search tool. They hate when people ask questions that have already been asked.

Matt

Upvote 0
I've been doing a lot of reading on rooting my newly purchased HTC Inspire. I've been a iphone guy since day one. I mainly want to root this for a better battery life so far. After rooting, what programs should be removed as I didnt see this anywhere during my reading.

Thanks!

What apps to remove? If you read this, I can only assume you are talking about bloatware. That varies by ROM. Like I said, if you are checking up on this, head on over to xda-developers (in the Inspire section) (There is a link to that page in this thread) and pick up the latest OTA ROM w/out bloatware. I went with bloat because if I ever go back to bone stock (w/ root) I've got a true stock phone w/ bloatware and all.

Matt

Upvote 0
does anybody know if the root process is the same and will still work after updating to gingerbread?

I believe that the Ace Hack Kit over on xda-developers has been updated to be able to root GB Sense. However, the method I used has not been updated in many months and I doubt that will change.

If your still on 2.2, or if anyone is for that matter, just root with that. There is a thread for a stock ROM with or without bloatware. I went with because its the new stock and its my new stock.

Matt

Upvote 0
Hi I am new to the android system bought a HTC Inspire about six months ago and am wondering if it is 4g or if they make 3g models as well. I want to use your root instructions but am nervous about not knowing wether it makes a differance whether it is 3g or 4g could you help me or direct me to the appropriate help. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0
Hi I am new to the android system bought a HTC Inspire about six months ago and am wondering if it is 4g or if they make 3g models as well. I want to use your root instructions but am nervous about not knowing wether it makes a differance whether it is 3g or 4g could you help me or direct me to the appropriate help. Thanks Steve

There is no other option for the Inspire. it basically means the same thing for our phone. So you should be just fine. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hi, I've got through a good portion of the rooting, but when i get to the HBOOT screen on my phone and my phone looks for the IMG file, my phone takes about a minute to find and load the file, then I get the error message:
"Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot."
I can't find out how to fix this anywhere.
I've retried several times, I even tried another SD card, although I'm not sure the other would have worked since it's only 256mb, the one I'm having the problem with though is 8GB if that makes a difference.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Upvote 0
Hi, I've got through a good portion of the rooting, but when i get to the HBOOT screen on my phone and my phone looks for the IMG file, my phone takes about a minute to find and load the file, then I get the error message:
"Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot."
I can't find out how to fix this anywhere.
I've retried several times, I even tried another SD card, although I'm not sure the other would have worked since it's only 256mb, the one I'm having the problem with though is 8GB if that makes a difference.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Your best option is to try another root method. I think you should try the Ace Hack Kit. You can find it here.

Good luck!

Matt

Upvote 0
Is there an updated link for the first post? I'm rooted but I've had problems since I did and I'm ready to try a different method or at least try again but the link leads to a bad thread.

Thanks.

I think both the stickies on how to root should be removed since the info there is obsolete now. Go to the link in this thread for the latest rooting procedure for the Inspire. It's pretty much a one-click process now thanks to the Advanced Ace Hack Kit.

http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g-all-things-root/419437-simple-root-xda-9-23-11-a.html

Upvote 0
Although this was a great write-up, This information IS OUTDATED and anyone looking to root their Inspire 4G should FOLLOW THESE UPDATED METHODS You Will Need To Use Your Best Reading Skills!!! To ensure a positive experience. There is no substitution for reading comprehension. PLEASE PLEASE read EVERYTHING! I cannot express how many times people come looking for answers because they didnt read. Adversely, Reading the EFFIN MANUAL and all other portions of those instruction WILL ensure a positive experience.

This is my opinion, only!

Upvote 0
While attempting to follow the EFFIN Manual, I ran into an issue or two.
When using Unbuntu, I tried to load the http in the terminal. It said it could not resolve the link. I then exited Unbuntu and pasted the link into my browser and I got the following message:
File aahk-12012012.zip && unzip aahk-12012012.zip && sudo ./hack-ace.sh has been removed. Please check your source for an updated link.

The last post stated that the original post was outdated. It appears that the whole thing is outdated.
I tried to find the "Bubby's simple one click root method" and that came up as being deleted as well.

Is there anything out there currently working.

Upvote 0
Hi there guys. I am real noob in such things. Yestarday I was trying to root my Inspire with ace hack kit. everything was ok until the process came to the stage when it says:

Radio downgrade complete - starting next process - please be patient...

I was patient for about half an hour but then I just disconnected USB cable from my devise. And now when I switch it on it shows HTC splash screen and then goes to black screen of death like during rooting process.
Please help me! Is there any way out of this bad situation? Appreciate any responses)

Upvote 0
xda forum feed referenced above has been closed.

Ok I am trying to root my phone (Inspire 4G) and everything I find directs me to this forum. The only issue with this, is that the forum has been closed, and the original post was deleted (modified to say: Nothing to see here) since the poster got pissed off at people and left xda forums. Because of this there are 2 issues. First one being that the files used have been removed (or the actual link to download them has been removed). Any other link I can find uses "meagupload" which has been taken over by the FBI and all the files have been removed. Second Issue is that all instructions (if I were to find the files) have been removed and all that is left is a bunch of videos of guys rambling on about how to do it the wrong way and then correct it.

Suggestions? Rooting Methods?

I tried one click method (v2.3.3) and it worked, but then I restarted my phone and SU was no longer there...any other attempt has also proved unsuccessful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones