• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root the SGH-T399 on version MJA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shabbypenguin

Extreme Android User
Mar 28, 2011
working fine here
fU1Bp8l.png

Reactions: mdfiroz
Upvote 0
I'm a little unclear about the install instructions. Do I need to install Odin on my windows computer first, or is it part of your file? Latest version of Odin? Now that CWM is working, is the proper procedure to (1) install CWM and make a backup of the existing system, (2) follow your instructions for root, (3) make a second backup?

Has anyone tried after rooting deleting the tmobile wifi teathering app so that we can get wifi teathering working? What other samsung garbage can be deleted without causing problems?

Upvote 0
I'm a little unclear about the install instructions. Do I need to install Odin on my windows computer first, or is it part of your file? Latest version of Odin? Now that CWM is working, is the proper procedure to (1) install CWM and make a backup of the existing system, (2) follow your instructions for root, (3) make a second backup?

Has anyone tried after rooting deleting the tmobile wifi teathering app so that we can get wifi teathering working? What other samsung garbage can be deleted without causing problems?

the exe is an all in one file, it has odin and the kernel. there is no proper procedure overall, you can root using this one click, or using cwm.

deleteing the app wont make a bit of difference, tmobile is the hardest carrier to tether on, you need to use a rooted app activate and then enable a different useragent string to disguise your usage on the computer.

Reactions: GalaxyGurl13
Upvote 0
I installed cwm through odin, but I can't figure out how to get to it. Maybe I have to be rooted to boot to cwm?

Anyway, then I tried to root. Odin has a com number, but it's in light blue rather than yellow. When I run your script, it says "all threads completed succeed 0 failed 0." Not doing anything. Am I supposed to run it without loading odin first?

Upvote 0
I have the the Galaxy SGH-T399 running stock with Android 4.2.2.

1. Would the Odin One-Click apply to my phone as is?
  2. If not, what would I need to do to bring that phone up to version MJA, or does version MJA apply to something else? It seems to be associated with Android 4.3.
Thanks. Since the other members of my T-mobile "family plan" went to prepay, I have gone to a T-Mobile MVNO--since as a group of 1, the service is very expensive. When I try to set up tethering or Mobile Hotspot, I get message that I need to upgrade at T-mobile. I have hope that rooting the phone will let me set up tethering with FoxFi/PdaNet+ it says wait while we verify your account. Then says service upgrade
required. It's the same using the preinstalled hotspot or FoxFi. It worked great on T-mobile directly.

Upvote 0
I have the the Galaxy SGH-T399 running stock with Android 4.2.2.

1. Would the Odin One-Click apply to my phone as is?
  2. If not, what would I need to do to bring that phone up to version MJA, or does version MJA apply to something else? It seems to be associated with Android 4.3.
Thanks. Since the other members of my T-mobile "family plan" went to prepay, I have gone to a T-Mobile MVNO--since as a group of 1, the service is very expensive. When I try to set up tethering or Mobile Hotspot, I get message that I need to upgrade at T-mobile. I have hope that rooting the phone will let me set up tethering with FoxFi/PdaNet+ it says wait while we verify your account. Then says service upgrade
required. It's the same using the preinstalled hotspot or FoxFi. It worked great on T-mobile directly.

i listed MJA because that is the software code on the t399 that this will root. how the code works is M equals the year, J equals the month and A is hex for the Date. so this software was compiled on Oct. 10th, 2013. so while other devices may have a version of MJA its a way to identify that on this device it works on that software.

the reason why you are now being prompted is because tmobile includes tethering in your plan, if you have teh 50/60 dolalr plan then your 4g allotment doubles as tethering. if you had teh 70 dolalr plan you get 2.5B's of tethering. with a MVNO you dont get that bonus, tmobile is the hardest carrier to tether on without paying for it, they monitor how you tether and then your data so youll need to use a user agent switcher on your computer etc to make it look like an android device.

Upvote 0
Thanks... Looking at About device, I have
Android version 4.2.2
Baseband version
T399UVUAMJ4.
Kernel version 3.4.39-1611476
se.infra@R0303-06#1
Build Number JDQ39.T399UVUAMJ4
I am guessing mine might be referred to as version MJ4.

The T-mobile SIM has been removed, and has been replaced by a Spot Mobile SIM (which uses T-mobile wholesale). My theory is that some software has hard-coded the T-mobile reference. I did not buy the phone from T-mobile, but it is definitely set up for T-mobile. So a secondary advantage of rooting is to get rid of locked-in-place apps that I cannot use or don't want to use. I had to and a new access point name to APNs, and entered a bunch of parameters to get the data access to work when I first got the new SIM.

I expect I have more study to do, but your T399 success shows success is possible I think.

Upvote 0
Is there a solution for rooting my SGH-T399 running the following?

Model: Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399
Android: 4.2.2
Baseband: T399UVUAMJ4
Kernal version: 3.4.39-1611476
se.infra@R0303-06 #1
Sun Oct 6 14:02:43 KST 2013
Build number: JDQ39.T399UVUAMJ4

The MJ4 does that denote wether or not I am on a month to month plan or not?
The ODIN 1 click doesn't seem to work. I get a yellow com window, but ODIN sits at <ID:0/12> SetupConnection.. and goes nowhere after that. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones