• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to safely change microsd card from 16GB to 32GB

edzville

Lurker
Jan 6, 2012
Hi I would like to ask your advice about channging microsd cards.
When I bought my phone I had installed a 16GB microsd card and i had been using my phone for about 6months now. I have a lot os apps installed and some of them were on the microSD card.

Now, I would like to install a 32GB microsd card, however, i am afraid that some of the apps will not work if i make a switch.

Can i just copy all the contents of the old (16GB) card into the new (32GB) card? And everything will work fine?

Is there any precaution that i need to observe?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Reactions: buggywhip
Never tried it, but a copy+paste in Windows should see you through. Do this with USB debugging enabled, not via MTP.

If your apps dont work, then reformat the 32Gb, and copy and paste again but this time making sure the option to view system/hidden files is enabled in windows explorer.

If this still doesnt work then the last resort is to reformat 32Gb, put the 16Gb card back in, move the apps back to internal, then copy+paste 16Gb to 32Gb card, swap cards, then move the apps to 32Gb.

Upvote 0
What I've always done is:

1. Remove the old card from the device.
  2. Put both new & old cards into USB card readers & connect to a Windows box.
  3. Format the new card if needed.
  4. Do a Windows Explorer drag/drop from the old card to the new.

I've done this many times with both WinMo & Android devices and have never had any problems. In my experience, the phone's USB is a major bottleneck, so the process goes much faster if you don't use the phone for the copy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones