1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to scan an Huawei smartphone

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tomfranky, Jul 18, 2016.

1. tomfranky

tomfranky Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2016
    Male
    Hi guys,

I want to scan my Huawei smartphone using my Windows 7 machine. What requirements does it need for that task? What anti-virus should I use for it? Please guide me.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

... Thom

#2 Thom, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. iSergiwa

iSergiwa Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Male
    Founder & CEO of Sergiwa.com
    Derna - Libya
    UMS (USB Mass Storage) is no longer supported on most recent devices, hence, Windows malware are no longer able to spread through phones' sd cards using Windows auto-run functionality. So, don't worry, as long as your phone has no external sd card that was previously connected to an infected PC, your phone is clean.

Thom likes this.
  4. tomfranky

tomfranky Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the answer.
    It may be infected using Internet stuffs for I need to scan it by some way. How would you do it please? That is using what anti-virus (suitable for Huawei's OS which is Android)?

5. iSergiwa

Mar 23, 2012
    Male
    Derna - Libya
    When you plug your phone into your PC, if you didn't see it as a USB drive letter (like an ordinary pen drive or HDD), then UMS is no longer supported on your phone, hence, no Windows based Antivirus software can "talk" directly to your phone's file system, neither in PTP (Camera Mode) nor in MTP (Media Mode). If you believe that your internal SD card is already infected by Windows malware files(*), you will need to copy all its contents to your PC, then scan the files from there. If they are clean then that's it. If your AV flagged something and deleted it from the copy, you will need to delete it manually from the original contents (either via your PC or using any file explorer app on your phone). Just be careful not to delete something you shouldn't delete.

* Please note that a Windows OS malware will do no harm to an Android OS files, but it may do harm to another PC if you connected your phone to it and copied the malware to that PC.

tomfranky likes this.
  6. tomfranky

tomfranky Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the info.
    I think the malware written for Windows is different from ones for other OSes like Android (or iOS). And, since a Windows AV is created to kill malware written for windows so it cannot detect the malware of other OSes. So, we can't use AVes on Windows like Malwerbyte AM or KIS, or whatsoever for scanning Android files. That is, we have two choices (to me). 1- After plugging the phone to the PC (when it detects it as a UMS) scan it using a special AV that is able to serve for both OSes (Windows and Android). We should find such an AV! or 2- Install a good (and applicable in practice) AV on the phone and scan it from there (without bringing a PC to the game).

Now what do you think please?

7. iSergiwa

Mar 23, 2012
    Male
    Derna - Libya
    Yes you got it right!

As far as I know, there's no such an AV!

As far as I know, there's no such an AV!

Just do what I suggested above. It's the only real/practical way in your case, although the whole process can be ignored completely for -as I said before- a Windows malware will do no harm to your phone. As for Android malware, don't believe those security firms that claim their products are able to keep you safe. I don't want to exaggerate but they're all nothing but scam. Android is based on Linux, which is a well immunized OS against malware for its rigid structure and needs for a permission for every significant operation, so as long as you keep every security setting in your phone on the default setting you are safe. No more steps required (Including the ones I suggested).