• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To HOW TO: Search the Market effectively using operators

spectrrr

Nov 7, 2009
Boston, MA
It seems that while the number one complaint about the Market is how difficult it is to search, many people do not realize how easy and helpful it is to use the minus sign when searching the market for things.

It's really very simple. Type what you want, and then use a -something to exclude what you don't want. FOR EXAMPLE:

"ahome" returns 522 results.

"ahome -theme" returns 38 results, mostly fonts and widgets.

THATS IT!!! I think you can figure out the many implementations of it from there, just remember to use a -shityoudontwant next time you have to search!

It seems that while the number one complaint about the Market is how difficult it is to search, many people do not realize how easy and helpful it is to use the minus sign when searching the market for things.

It's really very simple. Type what you want, and then use a -something to exclude what you don't want. FOR EXAMPLE:

"ahome" returns 522 results.

"ahome -theme" returns 38 results, mostly fonts and widgets.

THATS IT!!! I think you can figure out the many implementations of it from there, just remember to use a -shityoudontwant next time you have to search!

Yeah, I and a few others have noticed this and posted about it - but you're the first to make a new post about it :p

Cheers!

Upvote 0
What I'd still like to see added is the ability to sort my results based on price, number of downloads, rating, release date and things of that nature once I've gotten things down to a reasonable dataset.

Absolutely agreed. The market search, particularly coming from GOOGLE, is pathetic.

Yeah, I and a few others have noticed this and posted about it - but you're the first to make a new post about it :p
Cheers!

YEP! I've posted it a few times in other threads too... finally got tired of answer the same question ad nausium, so figured I would start a thread :)

Upvote 0
I'll post what I did in another post (this one after you again) here as well:

It's not just a - that can be used - it supports most of the Google Search advanced search tools:

to find all these words: Just type the words (e.g. Raging Bull - finds all occurrences of Raging and Bull, whether together or not)

To find an exact phrase or wording: Use quotation marks (e.g. "Raging Bull" - finds all occurrences of the phrase Raging Bull, exactly as typed in the quotation marks)

To exclude words: Use a - (minus sign). (e.g. Raging Bull -bullhorn - finds all occurrences of Raging or Bull but excludes any that include occurrences of bullhorn)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones