1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to secure your phone in case it gets stolen or lost

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by eroeurbano, Aug 22, 2011.

1. eroeurbano

eroeurbano Newbie
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Dear all,
    hi everybody I'm a new Android user (and relatively new to the Forum).
    I've tried to search in the forum about how to secure your phone
    in the case it gets stolen or lost.
    Many posts are about apps that supposedly will allow to find your phone back. That is great if it works, but in this post I'm more concerned
    about the data stored in the phone.
    In order to access many apps I have to use my Google account,
    or my FB account, Yahoo and so on, plus I use the phone for work and sometimes I temporarily store some data about it in my sd card.
    In the case I lose or get stolen my phone what is really important to me is to keep the data protected.
    I'd like to know which is the default level of security of the phone and if there is a way to encrypt my data passwords and so on,
    so that I won't have to worry much about my sensible data being in bad hands.
    If I'm off topic, or the issue has already been discussed I'm sorry,
    but I just couldn't find posts about this issue in the site (and being a non English mother-tongue doesn't help when it comes to searches).
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Cheers, -Luca

Advertisement

2. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Install Lookout Mobile Antivirus .
    The Premium version allows you to remotely lock and wipe your phone .(So they claim).

If your kernel allows CONFIG_DM_CRYPT module then you can install LUKS manager which creates an encrypted partition like TrueCrypt in Windows .(Again didnt test it fully)

Tasker has a option for encryption but I haven't used it and it is present only in non-market apps .
    There are some tools which say they provide encryption support but I have not used to validate.
    Another Basic thing you can do is set the Pattern Lock .Though it will be hassle to enter password every time you unlock, it offers a decent security .

3. eroeurbano

eroeurbano Newbie
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi Karandps, thanks for your answer!
    As I told you I'm an Android newbie so I couldn't fully understand the kernel stuff..
    how can I check if the module is enabled? If it is, where can I find LUKS?
    Also, assuming that a potential burglar steals my phone, say I've set the password
    and the pattern lock and so on.. will he be able to access my gmail and other data stored in the phone?
    Thanks for your help,
    it surprises me that phone vendor don't put much an effort in security of data!